Jerez Test Day One timesheet at 3.51pm GMT
1. Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:22.620, 53 laps;
2. Marcus Ericsson, Sauber, 1:22.777, 67 laps;
3. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.106, 151 laps;
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, 1:23.338, 35 laps;
5. Valtteri Bottas, Williams, 1:23.906, 66 laps;
6. Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso, 1:25.327, 46 laps;
7. Fernando Alonso, McLaren, 1:40.738, 6 laps

all info here http://www1.skysports.com/live-blog/12433/9691125/jerez-test-day-one-live

where it also says that mclaren will unveil e new livery before the season proper begins.

I know that you are never, ever, ever supposed to read too much into Day 1 times from testing at a track F1 hasn't raced on since the Clinton administration but that's pretty huge that Ericsson not only got the 2nd fastest lap but also logged the second most laps of any driver today. And that's really good news for Sauber, if they can sustain that once Nasr gets behind the wheel, it'll be great news.

Awful first day for McLaren, clearly the lack of a white livery caused all those mechanical issues. But we saw Red Bull bounce back from early adversity last year...

McLaren had understandably teething problems, it is the first proper test ever for them with the new engine after the failed tests last season. Pretty normal considering lotus, who also changed engine, are not even there.

And mercedes seems rock solid. The rest does not tell me much, specially the timings, considering last year Kimi posted the best time in the worst ferrari I remember...

pretty huge that Ericsson not only got the 2nd fastest lap but also logged the second most laps of any driver today. And that's really good news for Sauber, if they can sustain that once Nasr gets behind the wheel, it'll be great news.

AFAIK, Sauber were the only team setting a laptime on the softer tyre today.

F1 testing is sad stuff these days. 7 cars & drivers... :/

F1 should ideally have no less than 12 teams, and there is enough legitimate F1-caliber talent to field at least 15. That's a problem, I feel, that owes to a financial model that can only be sustained by a source of income that went away ten years ago and should never come back.

You never hear about how bad things are in WEC because Marlboro isn't bankrolling half the grid any more, and the LMP-1 class is more "open" than F1 in terms of progressive engineering nowadays.

That's a rant for another time though.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years