• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Research and Development ALWAYS fails?

Discussion in 'F1 2013 - The Game' started by IHazABone, May 11, 2014.

1. IHazABone

IHazABone

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've completed three R&D's at this point, all by a long shot (one was a total time of 8:40 and I got 8:19, this most recent was three consecutive laps under 1:40 and they were all 1:33-1:34), but ALL of them have said "COMPONENT UNAVAILABLE: This component has failed. Due to its rarity it is not currently available... "
    It set itself to the "Aggressive" path and I can't change that. Am I doing something wrong or is it purely bad luck?

2. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ........ Mostly harmless Staff

Ratings:
    +2,148
    If you are the number 2 driver, you don't get to choose the R&D path, the number 1 driver chooses (for the whole team). The number 1 driver with also get any new parts before you.

If the aggressive path is chosen (by anyone), the chances of failure of a new part is higher. However if it doesn't fail, then you have received your new part earlier than any other path.

Swings and roundabouts :)

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Salut Gilles

Salut Gilles

Ratings:
    +255
    I experienced the same problem, so thanks for clarifying the issue, Graham!
    :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

Ratings:
    +2,148
    No problem :)

I should have also mentioned that with the aggressive path, the likely gains are probably better (if it doesn't get delayed by failure).

For example, whilst the normal/conservative path might result in let's say 5% better downforce quite soon, the aggressive path might enable you to reach 10% better downforce in the same amount of time, if the part(s) work.

• Beer Beer x 1
  5. Salut Gilles

Salut Gilles

Ratings:
    +255
    Yes, I noticed that, when the part(s) worked, but I only got one part working immediately, and some parts working sometimes only 2 GPs later, and others not at all. But, as you stated above, it probably was because I am the 2nd driver for Ferrari (in career mode).

So, now I know the reasons why, and it's fine (close to RL).

6. IHazABone

IHazABone

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I just noticed that halfway through Q3 at Suzuka, my engineer said "we've improved the car for 10% better mechanical grip" or something along those lines, which was the R&D I did four GPs ago.

7. Kevin Amankwah

Kevin Amankwah

Ratings:
    +72
    Also noticed a lot of failures at the balanced route. It's a bit annoying.

8. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

Ratings:
    +2,148
    You can be sure that right now, just about every team apart from Mercedes (in real life), is feeling that very same pain/annoyance :D

They're back in Europe with their lovely shiny new parts, and they're 30 - 60 seconds behind the leaders

R&D theory/simulation, doesn't always work in practice :)