Request to admin (tutorials subforum)

@Maniak great idea to have all tuts on one place,we have not place like that??
If i understood correctly problem is subforum??? I think sticky thread would be just nice,and we can post what we find,without links to other places.
@Andre_1th thanks for this tuts,last 9 tuts i see first time,if u have more tutorials post here,
maybe some one comes first time,and we have senior beginner's like me

Hi all,
I've made some simple Photoshop tutorial - how to mask parts of images (like trees). Since it's not stricly BTB related, I don't want to raise a new thread. Also, I'm putting it on some other place. I would like to ask Mianiak and/or other users interested to check it out and if it's good enough - feel free to add to future tutorials/links sections.
The file contains some original (resized) photo form Nokanmov, pdf tutorial (text), pictures for every step, final .psd file and final .dds image.
I'm sorry - I could not bring my Photoshop back to English, but I hope you will find all tools/options I'm talking about there.

Download the stuff from here:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xjc661

Sup folks, great idea to bunch all btb tuts in one place. I am itching to make some vid tutorials and generally get more involved in teaching folks various tips and tricks, right upto advanced level. Tho im struggling to record my screen activity with any real success, it either too bad quality (u cant see whats going...menus..etc) or the frame rate is so bad its unwatchable. Ive tried out fraps (vista desktop mode) ..also tried BB FlashBack Pro , and other various screen recorders, All have quality or frame rate problems. Yes i have messed endlessly with settings..etc .. Dose anyone else recommend something to do this. I cant understand since I have a decent enough pc, quad core, 4gig ram.. full 64bit environment..etc and a decent ndivia gfx card (tho i dont think the card itself is going to help). Even recording games with fraps is a no go (most games) .. poor frame rates..etc. Perhaps I need a tutorial on how to make a tutorial ;) heh

anyway, ill be up for trying again as soon as im done with my current BTB project..

Great idea about the tuts forum again, and best of luck with it.

regards
pan

@Pangaea : Yep, recordings prgs, there is some thread overhere, somewhere also.
For just tutorials I'm using now Camtasia Studio.
But when recording "rFactor test driving" I suggest to use Fraps.

I've tested so many prg's and still fraps is the best.

Your system is very good also so proberly it has to do with card or drivers.

Try also with Fraps half size without sound etc etc, trial and error m8 !

When some time left I create a Fraps and Camtasia tut, haha so many things to do ....

Sup folks.. well ive been struggling to record my desktop for a bunch of tutorials i want to make.. I just dont understand how other people are doing this successfully. Ive tried almost everything with fraps.. but when recording my pc slowed down so much btb is unusable.. its like 1 frame a second.. less often.. its impossible to move the mouse around.. there always huge delays..etc.. plus the recoded movie has laughable frame rates.. I have also tried BBFlashBack pro, but its pretty much the same, once i start it to record, my pc becomes un-usably slow.. and as with fraps, the recorded movie is like so slow in terms of frame rates .. (yes ive explored all the options on both fraps and BBflashback) also BBFlashback crashes my pc, so I have to constantly re-boot .. also another thing i noticed with fraps was when i tried to record less then 1 min of desktop activity, the resulting movie file was almost 4gig.. huh??!

The reason why im having difficulty understanding why I cant do this is for 2 reasons..
1. I have what i think is a decent enough pc, its a quadcore, 64bit, 4gig ram.. and its clean and well optimised in terms of its various media drivers.

2. How on earth are other people able to do this, even with pc's that are ancient..

What on earth am i doing wrong here?!

* No im not running anything taxing in the background apart from btb and perhaps ps open in the background.
* Yes ive tried out endless options in both fraps & BBFlashback Pro
* Yes ive tweeked my gfx card and or windows environment to try get a better result

any ideas folks?

EDIt, i guess i should really have mentioned my gfx card, its a nvidia geforce 9800 gt (1 gig on board).... sure i know this is getting on in age at this stage.. but the point here is how where people able to record their desktops for years, well before 9 series gfx cards... ive seen ppl record their desktops with smooth frame rates as far back as windows 98.. long before their where any gfx cards like the one i have.

I have also tried recording my desktop on a 9600 GS, this has 512on board ram, but unlike my 9800 gt it supports dx10 and is fully 64bit compatible (since im running vista in 64bit ive noticed that the 9600 is often smother on certain games, then the slightly higher powered 9800)

Im no expert on gfx cards, perhaps the gfx card i have just isnt suited for recording... although it seems to do everything else reasonably well, including running alot of new games silky smooth with highish settings.

@ Pangaea:

Strange problem indeed. I'm sure you have the latest nvidia driver/software ? :
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html

You did try to record (with Fraps) at half size without sound?

I also read something about fps and vsync. Did you try to enable/disable the vertical synchronisation in your Nvidia controlpanel settings?

Avi files can be quite big yes ;) Therefor I convert them to mpeg or mp4 with AVS converter.

Sup folks, and thanks once again for the replies. this forum and its users are so helpful, you all deserve a good hearty pat on the back.

Anyway,
Andre, yes strange indeed, yes, ive tried optimizing everything i possibly can, including not recording sound, recording at a lower frame rate, recording at a different rez.. etc
No I didnt try turning off vsync, so thats something else I can try.

R Soul, Cam studio certainly rings a bell, I may have tried this in the past at some stage, but ill see what the latest version is like. Im not too bothered at this point about recording in game footage.
Regarding simtrackipedia, I, in a sense agree, they have taken the time to offer a specific service, and stealing their fire woulnt exactly be the decent thing to do, However, saying that, The tuts I will be making (holpfully), will be housed on my own youtube account, so I will simply be "linking" that to this forum, and a couple of other, I guess out of respect , to simtrackipedia too (ill create an account as soon as ive done a few tuts there)

I see your point, but cant see the harm in sharing the links to tuts on various forums.. especially if its in context/response to a request or question that was asked on one forum and not the other. But rest assured all the tuts I make will be linked on all relevant forums.

Ide like to personally see a bigger more active BTB community, and at least for me, a much bigger and vastly more active BTB/RBR community, so distributing tuts in as many places as possible should help people gain interest in BTB and also promote the general scene.

Anyhow, thanks for the help, and if i cant get a recorder going on my system ill use my digital camera infront of the tv. It`ll be blurry, but if i explain myself clearly what im doing and where I am clicking in the audio ide say most people will get the message.

regards
pan :)

Sup folks, and thanks once again for the replies. this forum and its users are so helpful, you all deserve a good hearty pat on the back.
R Soul, Cam studio certainly rings a bell, I may have tried this in the past at some stage, but ill see what the latest version is like. Im not too bothered at this point about recording in game footage.

As I wrote before, Camtasia Studio works also very fine, but not for in game recs .

... and stealing their fire woulnt exactly be the decent thing to do...

Just for the record, all the links to the tuts I added here, where found by myself at youtube and official BTB site and added also some of my own.

Right well i think it was camstasia i tried before, and it was struggling, i thought "cam studio" was the same beast, just a shortened word. But I went ahead and downloaded cam studio.
Low and behold it works like a treat.. once again open source software comes to my rescue where others fail with flying colours.

Folks will start having to get used to an irish accent soon ;)

thanks once again for the suggestion rsoul
and thanks for the advice also andre,

regards
pan

Regarding simtrackipedia, I, in a sense agree, they have taken the time to offer a specific service, and stealing their fire woulnt exactly be the decent thing to do,
This would be a good time for some background info. To sum up, wikidot provide the hosting (for free) and some templates. kslm started the site and set up the basic structure, and then let me change it. A few people have added content but most of it was made by me. It does take time and effort to write the tutorials on there, but I don't mind where they are as long as they are somewhere, and someone is using them.

ah right, didnt relise you had a hand in the whole thing... its a great idea , and thanks for that link btw.. heres a test record
(no sound need to get myself a mic at the weekend).. so as soon as I have my first bunch of proper tuts ready, ill create an account over at simpedia.. and in the mean time ill read up on what its all about.

thanks again and great idea

regards
pan

EDIT: actually rsoul, might be a handy thing to know, but i managed to get cam studio recording rbr without too much problem (apart from framerate)... I always run rbr in windowed mode while im working on btb so i can flick to it easy. Im not sure but perhaps this will work with other games too, as long as your running it windowed mode.

wasnt sure where to post this.. ill bunch all my tuts together if/when u guys know what your going to do in regards to a tut sub forum,

This was requested via the chat room, so i may aswell post here for other folks benefit.
as soon as i get organised, ill create a simpedia account also..

This was a request, how to make a flag using alpha. but without the need to create an object in 3ds max.
after making the flag as ive done, u can create cross sections on the wall (flag) to give it a bit more of a 3d look, as if it was waving in the wind.

no sound, no mic.. select 720p

direct link for full screen option

regards
pan

note: this is probably only one way of doing it.. im sure there may better better easier ways.

also, no need to make 2 sides, just one face is enough.. then use the blank apha on the others

can we get a tutorial for exporting a textured object from 3dmax to btb?
i have tryd this but my textures dont export. only the object.
and also how to delete an xpack. i have made several xpacks just testing my objects for textures and now i dont know how to remove them.
thanks.

I don't have 3dsmax so this is a partial guess: The issue could be that the 3ds file needs to be in the same folder as the texture files for XPacker to find them.

For XPacks, go to your BTB folder. \XPacks\ is for the zipped up files that BTB accesses and XPacker\XPacks\ is for the files that XPacker accesses.

r soul problem is im getting a popup saying the object im importing to btb has no textures. i guess what i dont know how to do is the process in 3d max of applying the texture so that it sticks with the object when i export it. or that it saves it as a dds.

I also try opening my object in photoshop then using the blending tools i create the color with shades and hilights wich looked really good. then i saved that as an alpha and as non alpha DDS and places it in btb then went to materials and placed it on my object, but my object the looks BLACK, or invisible when i apply alpha. or white when i use the non alpha texture.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 376 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%