• Racing is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Renewing BTB license after a LONG absense

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by Wee Scot, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Ratings:
    +2
    I "invested" in BTB way back in 2007, and used it with great pleasure for about a year to create a set of circuits based on real roads on Caribbean islands, but didn't get past the stage of workable (and wonderfully challenging and promising) racing surfaces bounded by concrete walls before "life" intervened: my growing children robbed me of the many hours I'd been devoting to BTB, insisting (to my great pleasure) that I spend my free time with them, instead!

Now my third child is finally (sniff) on her own and I find I have free hours to once again devote to a hobby. I have just a few questions:

1) What game platforms are supported by the latest BTB software?
    2) Is it now (still?) possible to create tracks in BTB directly for use in GTR2?
    3) What operating systems are currently compatible with BTB? It used to be only for use with Windows XP, if I recall.
    4) What do I need to do to get a new license and download the latest BTB software?
    5) Is Brendon still directly involved in BTB development?

Thanks in advance to anyone who'll lend assistance!

John (Wee Scot) McDaniel

2. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
    Welcome back.

RTB is still WIP but you can make tracks and export as a FBX file to go into almost any game. But you really need to use3dsimed with Blender or 3Ds max to do the best job.

BTB will have come some way from it's 2007 days. EVO to GTL, GTR2 etc and PRO to rF1. Works well for those games.

I have no problem with win10 and BTB.

New license - To renew your old licence you need your original password, although I'm not sure about a change in email.

BTB is not being developed anymore. Any spare time, Brendon has, goes towards RTB.

3. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
  4. Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the updates, and for guiding me back to bobstrackbuilder.net. I successfully logged in as Wee_Scot, updated my email address, and noticed that I still have two licenses left for BTB Pro (See screen capture below). What I really want to do next is download BTB Evo to create a few simple tracks for personal use in GTR2. It looks like I have to pay separately for BTB Evo, or is there a way for me to download that by virtue of being a BTB Pro user?

I'm using Windows 10 Home on this laptop, but still use Windows XP Pro on my old gaming computer.

Website screenshot (4-8-17).jpg

5. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
    Yes you need a new license for EVO or make a track in PRO and convert it!! How's the grey matter working! You would need 3dsimed to help with the conversion though. So you will have to dig into your pocket, a little, whichever way you go.

6. Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Ratings:
    +2
    So it would cost me AUD $59.95 (currently USD $45) to purchase BTB Evo? Or a similar amount to purchase "3dsimed with Blender or 3ds max" and then spend more time learning how to use that? What about jumping straight up to RTB and leaving BTB behind? Could I create tracks with RTB that could be put straight into GTR2 without the need to use another "conversion" or "packaging" tool? What does RTB cost? If I can build and apply tracks directly to GTR2 just using RTB, I would prefer to go that route and develop those skills before deciding whether or not to invest additional money and time in 3dsimed or 3ds max in order "to do the best job" and create tracks other simracers may want to use.

7. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
    The quickest and by far easiest way, for GTR2, is to buy EVO.

RTB is only, sort of direct, to Assetto Corsa, and even more "sort of direct" to rFactor2.

8. Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much for your good advice and counsel!

One last question (at least the last I can think of for now...:)): Do you know if GTR2 can be used to run point-to-point time trials, or is there something in the game coding that prevents anything but circuit lapping? In addition to recreating and "completing" the set of Caribbean island circuits I started as rFactor WIPs 10 years ago, I'm also itching to use BTB Evo to model a favorite piece of twisty road I've probably driven 100 times. Joplin Road is a nine-mile stretch that starts just four miles from my front door and snakes through the Quantico Marine Corps base. It contains some great undulations and blind crests and would make a wonderful, if short, rally course stage! I once got my bike up to 95 mph on one of the few "straigt-ish" sections before I had to brake for the next corner, and have long wondered what kind of speeds serious racing machines could achieve on Joplin Road. Will I be able to model this for GTR2 using BTB Evo, or does the GTR2 timing system only work for closed circuits?

9. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75
  10. Wee Scot

Wee Scot

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again ever so much for giving me your time!

• Like Like x 1
  11. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +75