Renault officially confirm F1 return in 2016

renault return header.jpg

Following months of negotiations, Renault has formally announced their return as a full-fledged Formula 1 constructor beginning in 2016, after a successful takeover of Lotus F1 Team.

Renault had signed a Letter of Intent to purchase the financially-beleaguered Lotus team in September, and on Thursday, the French automaker signed the principal contracts to secure their F1 return.

“Renault had two options: to come back at 100 percent or leave," said Renault chairman and CEO Carlos Ghosn. "After a detailed study, I have decided that Renault will be in Formula 1, starting 2016. The final details supplied by F1’s main stakeholders gave us the confidence to accept this new challenge. Our ambition is to win--even if it will take some time."​

Renault's press release from Thursday added: "As a full team, Renault will take maximum benefit from its victories."

Renault as a constructor have tallied thirty-five Grand Prix victories in their two stints in the sport, from 1977-1985 and 2002-2011. Fernando Alonso won back-to-back World Drivers' Championships for the team in 2005 and 2006, and led Renault to the World Constructors' Championship in those same seasons.

As an engine builder, Renault have claimed 168 Grand Prix wins, twelve Drivers' Championships, and eleven Constructors' Championships - and they introduced the first regularly used turbocharged engine to Formula 1 in 1977. In 2015, they supplied engines to Infiniti Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso, but both teams struggled with a lack of horsepower and reliability throughout most of the season.

Renault succeeds the former Lotus F1 Team, who finished sixth in the Constructors' Championship in 2015. Romain Grosjean scored the team's best result this past season - a third place in the Belgian Grand Prix. For 2016, Renault will retain the services of former Grand Prix winner Pastor Maldonado, while 2014 GP2 Series champion Jolyon Palmer is set to make his F1 debut in place of the Haas-bound Grosjean.

More information about Renault's return to F1 will be known in January, according to the company's press release.

Last edited by a moderator:
It did feel very weird the last few years only seeing Renault as a supplier rather an constructer. F1 is going to feel a bit more whole next year.

I wonder if Renault will be less tolerant of his... antics... since they're not in anywhere near the amount of financial trouble that Lotus were in. I think he may have to work on limiting all these stupid driving maneuvers otherwise he'll find himself on the chopping block pretty darn quickly.

At least they'll have a driver to help find every weak spot on the engine and chassis.
By the end of next season the Renault car will have been developed to fit Maldonado driving style and look something like this:
racing_tank.jpg

I think it will be the classic sporting transitional year next season. Pastor is a liability but has a nice wedge for one more season, Palmer is has no experience but doesnt matter so much when you are not challenging for wins. Obviously the engine is a weak point but maybe with extra money available they will be able to make inroads as this engine spec does seem to be about spending cash. If they can produce a decent chassis and start to make improvements to the engine I think that will be seen as a success. Then maybe 2017 they can look at the driver line up etc and go for it a bit more.

It will be great to see a Renault livery back on the grid I hope it is more 1980's Renault like this.
V23M52f.jpg

Rather than this disgrace.
NuavV2L.jpg

She might move from development driver to fully fledged HGV driver or coffee maker.

and nothing against girls but this girl has no business near an F1 car, her best ever FR 3.5 result was P13 in 2 years of trying.
I think the most damning evidence was her tenure in GP3 where her best result all season was 17th place before Dean Stoneman replaced her for the final 4 rounds and took two wins and a second place.

I'm all for having women in top tier Motorsport, but it's got to be based on merit.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back