Renault 'Completely Committed' to Struggling Palmer

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Jolyon Palmer Not Under Pressure.jpg

Ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix Renault have stressed their support of driver Jolyon Palmer, despite a difficult start to the season for the Englishman.

Finding himself regularly on the wrong end of the whooping stick by his incredibly talented team mate Nico Hulkenberg, Palmer seems to be finding himself under increasing pressure within the Renault squad to start delivering results and helping the French team lift themselves from what is a currently a disappointing seventh in the Constructors World Championship standings.

Going on record to the assembled media in Baku today, Renault Sport Racing Managing Director Cyril Abiteboul confirmed the team remain 100% behind their driver for the foreseeable future.

"Our situation is very clear: [Palmer] has a contract with us; we are completely committed to helping him get through the period," Abiteboul said. "[It] is a tough period, that's obvious.

"He has no ultimatum, but having said that he has to deliver, like every single member of the team. But I think what will help him is that frankly we take him out of the spotlight under which he is constantly.

"That's part of the job, part of the pressure that every Formula One driver has to go through. He has to live with that. We are trying our best to protect him but at the same time to do the best as a team to explain to him what we are expecting and we had that type of conversation with him yesterday – go through the metrics and try to define the targets short to medium terms so that he can improve."
Despite the words of support from Abiteboul, Palmer undoubtedly needs to up his game in the coming races in order to prove his worth on the Formula One grid. Having so far failed to trouble the scorers in any of the races so far despite Hulkenberg having racked up 18 points and four top 10 finishes in the last five Grand Prix, Palmer must be closing in rapidly on the point of no return as Formula One enters the traditional period of contract negotiations for the coming season and beyond.

Winner of the 2014 Formula One supporting GP2 series and with numerous race wins and championships in junior formulae Palmer has talent, enough talent to remain in Formula One and succeed in the long term remains to be seen...

Jolyon Palmer Career Highlights.

- T Cars Autumn Trophy - 1st
- Formula Palmer Audi - 3rd
- Formula Palmer Audi Autumn Trophy - 3rd
- Formula Palmer Audi Shootout - 3rd
- FIA Formula Two - 2nd
- GP2 - 4th
- GP2 - 7th
- GP2 - 1st

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for news and chat regarding the biggest racing series in the world..

Do you think Palmer deserves his seat at Renault? Could another driver step in a produce similar results as the driver? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Like I said - papa Palmer make a call and said "U want My money, then I dont wanna hear anthing about Kubica's chance to change My son in your cockpit"...The End...

Renault is factory team but what came from outside (money) is anytime better like 100% from factory. And Papa Palmer send this money... What they say officialy have no matter :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back