Removing Wheel Rim Rounded Hex Socket Countersunk Screws

Use a ball pein hammer, the ball end and hit in the centre of the countersunk head. Basically you’re trying to push all the deformed metal back inside the head to create a bite point for the Allen key.
you might need to tap/hammer the Allen key back in, but that will give a good grip to remove.
failing that, it’s centre punch on the head to release or drilling out, but those need practice so you’d want a decent fitter doing them options

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If none of the above work before you destroy the screw cut a slot in it with a dremel for a flat bladed screw driver. Like mentioned above use a little valve grinding compound on the tip and sometimes giving the screw driver a smack with a hammer while trying to turn it will usually do the job. The valve grinding compound can be used on any tool for more bite also. Not sure what kind of allens you are using but quality allen wrenchs or sockets make a HUGE difference. Cheap ones are soft,fit poorly and normally what causes the issues when trying to remove them. Many times ive done nothing more then switched to a good allen and had them come right out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
https://shop.snapon.com/product/supplemental/10-pc-Multispline-Extractor-Set/REX10B
Those Snap-on REX bits are great to use.
It is especially true, if the internal bore is at least 3/32 to 1/8" deep...obviously deeper is better.
What I like about them, is they're tapered so no 'pounding' is required.
They also have a massive 'bite' area despite being shorter than most extractors due to the multiple contact points.
I've never broken one off despite extracting multiple screws in numerous aircraft over years of maintenance.
They're the only extractors in my toolbox.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • More leagues

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Prizes

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 12 10.4%