Rediscovering R3E

Hi guys, for some reason R3E slipped under my radar but after playing it the last few days and testing some cars in the store im pretty impressed.
Previous to that i would have had sims like AC,GSCE and iracing as my favourite physics [althought i dont play iracing anymore] at the top of my personal list in terms of physics and ffb.
Recently i fell into the hype trap of pcars, enjoyed it to a point but then after 50 hours of gametime ive come to the conclusion its just too easy to get away with stuff you really shouldnt in real life,good racing game but not a true sim imho.
I had played R3E over a year ago id estimate and didnt give it much time but this time round i have and it just feels good out of the box, the sounds are just incredible, the way you can hear/feel the transmission fight for grip underneath you is just great.
Im probably going to buy some content on steam.
Im just wondering what others who have played the likes of AC,GSCE,rfactor etc feel about R3E physics and ffb?
It seems to be a sim that a lot of people dismiss and dont have on their radar just like myself.

hey emerson.. you must of read about my hatred for all things rres concerning ffb. I can tell you now, if your running really high lateral and vert forces, don't!!

Everyone at the beginning ran these and they could feel the road and this and that, and totally ignoring the fact that the car had massivel unrealistic centre force alignment.

don't set the lat higher than 100 and the vert higher than 70. then you will get better feeling/ trust me I cant wait to get on rre in a min. So much so I tempted to buy up g5 cars,, can anyone recommend?
Trouble is with you Dan is that you are always seeking perfection. Just get to a reasonable base setting and go race. Better still, join up here and do some Race club MP racing. You'll enjoy it instead of never ending testing, hot lapping and just messing about with all your race sims. ;):thumbsup:

Well having tried to go back to RRE today, I just don't like it. The FFB, the way the car turns in its centre axis. Why did they change all this? It was great previously. Any one got a good setup for the FFB for a T500.

I've changed some settings on Jyrik's T300 files and those are working for me. Nice feeling of what is happening to the car. Easy to catch slides too. Lost some details but the weight fits my taste. Like Jyrik's files uses 100% in all Thrustmaster profile settings.

Attachments

• t500 th8 Akira Jyrik.rcs
    20.5 KB · Views: 264
Good to see the positive feedback on RRE (amid the off topic stuff;-)

As much as I want to do good and have a 'career' in iRacing I find it all too serious and tedious, plus the standard of driving has dropped and alas so has my rating - getting rear ended too often in a day of racing dropped me from A Licence to B Licence (make that C this season now that's what I call freefall!!!) and the fun factor is simply not there at this stage.

So I decided to give iRacing a break and last couple of weeks went back to AI based gaming.
Did the pCars weekend, but at the end of it all the driving and twealking I concluded there is no ways cars behave the way they do in pCars. Far too easy to drive on the limit and over the limit.
But the visuals are amazing and when I have to show friends what simming is about I will probably roll out pCars for the ey candy and let them drive it because it is so easy (simcade suddenly jumped into my mind at this point in my typing)

Anyway always really enjoyed GSCE and decided to start a season of Stock Cars and really enjoyed it. AI is great, sounds amazing and all round fantastic immersion plus I followed this Dude's stuff on PretendRaceCars which set a benchmark for inspiration and also has some cool setups.
Really cannot fault what the Reiza crew have done with what is essentially rFactor technlogy and delivers a great offline solo racing experience.

Then yesterday decided to jump into RRE DTM 2014 at Hockenheim and was blown away by the improvements and how cool the thing is to drive. Powerslides really happen now and you feel it, the AI are infinitely better if you treat them with respect. Just a great all around experience - ok admitted the AI simply cannot do the hairpin at Hockenheim, but I then adapt my driving at the point to lessen the impact...

And I figure that's the way forward:
GSCE for racing Stock Cars and having a blast (also going to test CART Extreme)
RRE for racing DTM2014 and having fun (also going to test other stuff I like eg. G%, GT3 and GT2, Prototypes)
pCars for gawking at the eye candy and impressing non-simming mates
iRacing if (and when) I want to go to war, become a miserable idiot and forget this is supposed to be fun

Last edited:
I agree with some people above that FFB still feels a little floaty (with the G27 in my case) I've tried different people's settings, tweaked stuff around, still can't get rid of that. It's much much better than it was though, so it is definitely on the right track. Feels good enough to race now, however.

Thanks to this thread, I re-downloaded R3E, I agree, it is better than before, the feeling of driving is more realistic, I have had no issue setting the FFB for my CSR Elite ( and that is much better than before), so I will have fun with it, might even purchase some content when I find time to figure how it works, still looks very convoluted for no reason I understand at this moment.
Only thing I still do not like is how the AI behave, the way they brake and accelerate is not clear, making it difficult to drive with them, like we are not on the same page.
I have not created a server yet, but it seems pretty straight forward, I will give it a go.
Overall, I have now the feeling that R3E is going in the right direction and is here to stay

Edit1: I figured the acquisition process, I think, thank you all for your advice, got the DTM 2013 on special and purchased the Citroen WTCC 2014. Once you get the hang of it, it is really not that bad. Also getting better at racing the AI, overall a very positive experience.

Last edited:
The content purchases are basically modular, you buy what you want. The best deals are typically the packs. The 'Experiences' are a separate game...within the game, done bc of licensing.

Depending on how you go about it, you can get just what you need for very little, BUT typically everyone wants every car, even though you will only use a handful. If you can get over that aspect of it, or are one of those guys who just drives X car in Y series, you can make out really well in this game.

But yeah, its not a normal system and has hurt them imo...as the game is quite good now.

All but one game gave me problems on Windows 10. with R3E, I couldn't play it in 1920x1080 (GEFORCE 970). Also, I don't think my wheel liked the drivers. I was going pretty well before the last W10 update.

Thanks. I've been trying to google each of my games with windows 10 to see if they work. I'm mainly concerned with Race07. GTR2. nascar 2003, Richard burns rally and a few others.

Thanks. I've been trying to google each of my games with windows 10 to see if they work. I'm mainly concerned with Race07. GTR2. nascar 2003, Richard burns rally and a few others.
You should be fine. Just choose the upgrade path. Don't delete partitions and all that jazz. I tried it on my laptop first and all worked fine. It wasn't until the last update to W10 that the problem started. But just that one game.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%