Red Bull Racing Using Traction Control?

I don't really think they are vibrations (or resonance) in the suspension. Or bumps in that specific part of the track. Just because we could see those skid marks at least in other two places:
http://sia1.subirimagenes.net/img/2013/06/16/13061608333271523.jpg
http://sia1.subirimagenes.net/img/2013/06/16/130616084341460936.jpg
As far as I know, both images come from the warm lap.

I'm far from being an expert but I always thought that suspension resonance is too rare to be happening that often. Furthermore, all that resonance (or even if the car was boucing) would mean that the suspension, ARB and/or dampers of the car causing all those skids were not doing their work. Which I find almost impossible considering there wasn't even one DNF caused by suspension in that race (as far as I can remember). And we're seeing F1, not stock cars.

Yes, there is longitudinal as well as lateral oscillations of the chassis in F1 cars. But that is: the chassis. The suspension, ARBs and dampers are made so that wheels touch the surface as much time as possible, even with the chassis oscillating really bad.
Even really big jumps (ie, crossing curbs in a really aggresive way), that cause the car losing contact from tarmac, usually lasts about two jumps. Here we're seing more than 10 skids, the rear right even caused about 4 of those skids before the tarmac change, although they are far less noticeable. And with the closer curb at a few meters I can't see oscillations causing that.

And yes, TC would prevent the wheels from sliding and there would be no skids at all. But we can't compare electronic TC in normal cars because electronic systems like the ones in ours cars are simply banned from F1.
If any of the F1 teams was considering to "emulate" a TC, they should be doing it somehow more mechanically with the less electronics involved in it. Remember that, for instance, their differential is mechanical, not electronic (correct me if I'm wrong).
With that I mean that a team (Red Bull in this case, but you name it) with a TC, would have a very rudimentary though smart system. TC is not only negative ABS, there are other ways: some kind of engine mapping, somehow turning off cylinders, etc.

Anyway I don't think it's a traction control.
I actually don't know what is causing that but I really believe it has nothing to do either with suspension or a bumpy track.
That would mean Webber's suspension and/or dampers were not working well enough to do 70 laps.

I'm a bit more convinced it has something to do with differential. That's why only right rear wheel make those discontinuous skids before the tarmac change).
And maybe the clutch is also involved. And that's why we have only seen those skids unders "special" circumstances like the start of warm lap (first photo I put), a presumably burnout in the warp lap also (second photo I put) and a start from "near zero" after a collision with Van der Garde (the abovementioned video).

Webber is well known to make a let's say "poor" use of cluch in the starts compared to others.
We could see him, relatively often, losing two or three positions just before the first turn due to sliding in the start.

Was just thinking, it could be the differential, the marks happen left-right-left-right.. Shouldn't TC control both wheels at the same time?

Got ninjad by a wall of text.. Just thinking differential, the current LSD diffs still works like the old open diffs.. That would mean that the tire that start spinning, continues to do so..

Ok, did some digging and Torsen diff could explain exactly those patterns.. EDIT: and sorry for triple post, was using the Blog comments and there are no edit buttons (or i've missed them...)

Kennett Ylitalo

time-to-make-der-magicks.jpg

(Aka your posts have been merged. You can always visit the forums and edit your posts there, all articles end up in the corresponding forum - so this thread is located in the Formula 1 board.)

Kennett Ylitalo

time-to-make-der-magicks.jpg

(Aka your posts have been merged. You can always visit the forums and edit your posts there, all articles end up in the corresponding forum - so this thread is located in the Formula 1 board.)

Yeah, i know.. It's not the first time. Thanks for merging them, that's something i can't do...

I´m guessing rev limiter.

A good guess, didn't think of that. There's even more proof (lol, that word.. :) )as the skids become continuous that could indicate a gear change.

I´m guessing rev limiter.
hitting the rev limiter would not result in this kind of marking - the rev limiter doesn't 'bounce' as such, it just hits a limiter. this isn't translated into the drivetrain.

hitting the rev limiter would also result in massive wheelspin, as a burnout would, at these low speeds. he's not correcting with the wheel, so I doubt it's that.

also regarding TC, I highly doubt RB would be dumb enough to put it in the car and not expect to be caught. what's more likely is that they have used some differential trickery to emulate the same properties of TC.

Torque sensing diff could do that, it's sort of natural TC as it directs more torque to the slower tire. It's also a lot more tricky to control at tight spots as the inside wheel gets most of the torque while it has less load than outside tire.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 295 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.7%