1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Recording

Discussion in 'DiRT Rally' started by Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

hi again,
    i tried recording with Fraps a replay from last event as it was quite good specially that the night stage a did half of it without any lights:) but i have a huge problem.
    The recording is like a timelaps 1sec working then freeze and then 1-2sec working then freeze again...any idea what is going on?
    Nvidia gtx980 latest drivers and game resolution at 3840 x 2160 everything at max and the pc is also quite good
    should i try a dif program camtasia or shadowplay?
    thank you

2. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

4k, DiRT rally, FRAPS is usually not a good idea. 1080p should work perfectly.
    Shadowplay tends to f. up the video-audio sync if it's not kept on a stable 60fps recording. (even 1fps up or down for the tiniest amount of time makes things out of sync!).

3. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

so camtasia for my resolution? don't really want to lower res while playing
    Lol, Drammen :)) delivered lot's of sand there

4. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Never used anything other than Fraps or ShadowPlay, it is worth a shot. Or maybe record on to an SSD I would guess the issue is writing speed, and maybe PC-Power with 4k Fraps.

Deliver some warmer weather please! ^^,

5. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

i allready record it on SSD well thanks.

6. Jon Turner

Jon Turner
    Premium Member

Hi Mr C wifey and i do a lot of streaming these days and we use OBS, the recording side is also amazing, very low on resources and the file sizes are tiny compared to Fraps, take a look its free.
    Hope you are keeping well and all is good with you.

7. I used to use shadowplay until good old nvidea screwed up their drivers and nvidea experience.
    Been using Action for a month now and find it better than shadowplay with lots more options.

8. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Looks like I should test some other programs as well then. I just go with fraps because I'm used to it, and my PC is a bit OP still :)

9. Graham Laing

Graham Laing
    ...... mostly harmless Staff

I would suggest looking at DxTory as capturing software.

It has the ability to capture the video and 'stripe' the captured frame across multiple drives. It's bit like RAID 0 when it comes to hard drives, where the data is striped to 2 drives to increase speed.

You can capture normally to one drive if you want, but if you are capturing high resolution fast video you can set it to spread the load, so you don't choke a single hard drive, where it's struggling to write the data fast enough

If I capture racing videos then I 'stripe' it to 2 drives, but I do have more hard drives installed so I can capture to 3, 4, 5, or 6 drives if I want.

So with 3 drives it would something like :-

Drive 1 - Frames 1, 4, 7,10,13 etc.
    Drive 2 - Frames 2, 5, 8, 11, 14 etc.
    Drive 3 - Frames 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 etc.

When you've finished recording you get the software to combine the 3 files together into one huge .avi. After that you use standard processing software to compress the video into an mp4 or mkv or any other container of choice.

Generally I never capture to SSD (though I have 2), because the SSD's have a finite life, and it's the writing of data to SSD's that reduces it's life.

10. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

I never got dxtory to work properly, so I gave that one up!
    It was either seriously low quality, or it just didn't record.

11. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

I must be down to hardware variations I guess, or perhaps you haven't tried installing some alternative codecs, as Dxtory has always worked great for me, right through from W7 to W10.

I use UtVideo YUV422 codec, Lagarith, and Packbit codecs. Packbit is supplied by the Dxtory team as an additional download. I use UtVideo (most of the time) because it is supported by Sony Vegas which I use for editing. Sony Vegas then frameserve's the edited video into MeGui to do the final compressed video.

Mirillis Action! is another good one, but I can't get it to initialise and run on Windows 10, though it worked fine on Windows 8.1.

Well not quite true, it worked on W8, it worked just fine when upgrading to W8.1. After a complete re-install of W8.1 it stopped working, and this has continued into W10. :mad:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

What I would rather like to do though, is to use my Elgato through another PC, but then I would have to build myself a second PC first, and... well. I have no income atm, so that is not a priority.
    I feel dxtory sounds a bit complicated tbh!

13. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

Yeah it can get complicated and depends on your needs, do you want to edit the video before you convert it to an mp4 for example?

For most people they just want to capture their game play directly, no editing, no further steps. This is where Action!, NVidia's ShadowPlay, AMD's Raptr, or MSI Afterburner can come into play, and maybe more appropriate. Most of those are free too :)

14. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Well, I edit the Fraps files, ShadowPlay is always out of sync for me, so screw that one! [​IMG]

15. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

If you can edit Fraps files, then you can edit Action, Dxtory, Afterburner, Bandicam, Playclaw and Xfire files, to name a few ;) :whistling:

Fraps are about the biggest files of the lot .....

16. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Space is not an issue, still got a couple of TB :)
    Now, my problem with dxtory was that I didn't get it to record, except for low quality, so I kinda stuck with Fraps, as I got that work, and file issue isn't a problem :) Will check some other programs as well though, always good to have more stuff to choose from :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Graham Laing

Graham Laing

Just an added note here, two months later

I bought Dirt Rally a couple of days ago ......... and currently I cannot get DXtory to work with it.

So I'll be going through my other options starting with Action! ....... :cautious:

18. i just tried to capture some DIRT with my three year old version of fraps and it came out psychedelic. had a good laugh:
    goign to try one of the other options mentioned here now.

• Haha Haha x 1
  19. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan

Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
    Mr. C Premium Member

i used gamebox from windows10 or Open Broadcaster Software, happy with both

20. will test obs tonight, looks like the simplest thing, also it does not install adware as far as i know.

• Like Like x 1