• Racing is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Recommend me a 24" monitor

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Metalogic, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic

Ratings:
    +102
    Hi - I'm looking for a good external monitor, primarily for use with racing sims (I don't play FPS, and the other games I play are less demanding strategy games or RPGs, like Europa Universalis IV and Pillars of Eternity), as I currently am just using my laptops 15.6" 1080p screen, which isn't going to cut it once I get a wheel...

I have limited space, though, so am likely limited to no larger than a single 24" screen, which I hope is going to be large enough, as I'll be using a Wheelstand Pro to mount the wheel, so will be sitting a little back from my desk...

My current PC (an XMG P505 laptop with an Nvidia 970M GPU with 3Gb vRAM) doesn't support G-Sync, though my next PC likely will, though I can't see myself buying a new PC for another 2 years. My PC *does* support up to 144Hz refresh rate, though of the sims I currently own (R3E, AC, GTR2), it's probably only R3E and GTR2 where I can get more than 60fps at 1080p on the higher graphics settings (also another reason for not going more than 1080p).

Support for a VESA mount is a must, as am considering mounting the screen on an adjustable monitor arm, so that I can bring it to the front of my desk more easily, though may not do that for a while, so would like a stand that has lots of adjustments, including height.

I'mm be using a DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort input primarily, though would be nice (though not essential) to have HDMI input as an option too.

A thin-ish bezel would be nice, though not essential, as I don't have space to run triples.

I don't need speakers, as will always be using headphones with it to avoid annoying the missus!

I don't really care about blur-reduction, it's not really needed for racing sims I think and tends to dim brightness

These are the monitors I've been considering - which of these would you recommend I get, or should I be considering something else? My budget is about up to £300, though nearer £250 would be better.

All the below support >60Hz refresh rates:

• BenQ XL2430T (not G-sync, but otherwise looks great, low input lag, is about £260) - Review
    • AOC G2460PG (has G-Sync, and has really come down in price now - £250 at Currys, but the BenQ seems to have a better screen) - Review
    • Asus VG248QE (no G-sync, but otherwise looks pretty good, is cheap at about £210) - Review
    There are also various Acer offerings, some G-sync, some not.

Am currently favouring the Benq XL2430T...

2. Metalogic

Metalogic

Ratings:
    +102