1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rearview Popups

Discussion in 'Formula Truck 2013' started by Bruce Saltzman, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Much like the discussion regarding the 'popup problem' with trucks in the forward view, which is solved by increasing the LOD in the cockpit camera editor, I'm wondering if there is a solution to the same problem with trucks in the rear view mirror. It seems they disappear when quite a distance behind, only to popup suddenly when much closer.

Has anyone discovered a way to keep the trucks in the rear view much the same way we discovered how to keep them in the front view? Yes I know, going faster would solve the problem, as I wouldn't have to worry about it, but other then that... :D

Thanks for any help.
  2. This is just a guess, but there are two lines that would be worth testing in the plr file.

Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000" // Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)
    Try setting this at 250 or 500 to create a far distant culling point.
    Rearview Cull="1" // Whether to cull objects in the rearview based on visgroups in the SCN file
    Maybe it would be worth trying this at zero.

I have not tested these but this is where I would start :)
    But again it is sure to cost FPS if overdone.
  3. Thanks Keith. I tried the Rearview Cull adjustment by itself and seemed to have no affect. I'll try the other adjustment and let you know what happens. Thanks again.
  4. Calum McLure

Calum McLure
    Did ye, aye? Premium Member

Was going to ask this myself after noticing it last night.

Made coming back onto the track particularly perilous :unsure: lol
  5. No luck.I tried this and many other things. Couldn't find the magic bullet. I suspect that the textures used to paint the trucks coming up behind us at distance are very low res and get progressively higher res as that come closer. I've seen this in other sims. The solution in those cases was to create higher res skins for the car/truck images the furthest back. There could be as many as two or three of those before it transitions into the one that fills our rear review mirror. Or not...

Hopefully someone else or the developer can jump in with a solution or explanation as to why it may not be possible to improve.
  6. Bruce, I've only just checked this for myself, full grid at Velopark, and I can see loads of trucks as far back as I can see (on default settings). What exactly are you seeing or not seeing and is it in all mirrors?
  7. As you drive off of pit road, do you see the trucks disappearing in your center rear view as you move further down pit road? That's what I see. I'm using cockpit, not virtual mirrors.
  8. Hmm, Yes, I do see that, I would think something must be able to adjust this for higher end machines.
  9. Hi, I alter:
    Rearview_Back_Clip="0.00000" // Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)
    Rearview_Back_Clip="10000.00000" // Back plane distance for mirror (0.0 = use default for scene)
    on all my sims that are related to the rfactor engine.

Hope this helps
  10. Thanks Hector. Unfortunately that didn't help with the trucks themselves. However, combining that tweak along with not culling rear view objects really looks fantastic by not causing everything else in the mirrors to continuously disappear.
  11. My pleasure Bruce, also in the Ftruck_cams.cam file I have made the following changes:

Fov=(60.000000, 60.000000)
    Color=(164, 218, 249)
    ClipPlanes=(0.075000, 11500.000000)
    Size=(1.000000, 1.000000)
    Center=(0.500000, 0.500000)
    RadiusLimits=(0.000000, 0.000000)
    OrientationRate=(999.000000, 999.000000, 999.000000)
    PositionOffset=(0.000000, -0.0, 0.0000)
    OrientationOffset=(0.00000, 0.000000, 0.000000)
    This helps me to have no popups looking forward.
  12. Thanks again Hector. I've been using an increased LODMultiplier to get rid of the front pop outs. It helps immensely. The increased ClipPlanes smooths everything else.

I did find, as I suspected, in the MAS file, several files for each of the major truck parts in varying resolutions. If you park at the end of a long straight, you can see when the textures transition to higher res as the vehicle gets closer. I experimented with changing some of the files to be all high-res. It didn't appear to help with the rear view popups though.

I may experiment with some MaxLODBias settings to see if that makes any difference without killing performance. Otherwise I think I'll just go back to enjoying the sim and not worry about things over which I have no control. :)