Real-Time Racing

Real-Time Racing: Prelude to The Next Step

The news has reached the world of simracing. The ‘release’ of the Real-Time Racing application by iOpener media has become highly anticipated and their eyes are fixed upon them. The next step in simracing? We think so!

And so Bram Hengeveld set out to establish contact with this new player on the market. Shortly after we were invited over to visit their office in Aachen, Germany, and thus Hengeveld and I hit the road to meet with iOpener CEO Andy Lürling and Christophe Dujarric, our contact in iOpener Media.

For those that have missed the recent news about iOpener, here’s a short recap. iOpener Media is the company behind Real-Time Racing and the iOpener Enabled application. This application records and stores data from real races with real drivers on real tracks and translates it to the virtual plain. Once virtual it becomes available to initially Real-Time Racing gamers, so they can participate in that recorded race against the virtualised drivers on the virtualised track. Should this application become available for some top-notch racing series, you might find yourself racing against Lewis Hamilton, Sebastien Loeb or Yvan Muller in a 100% copy of the race as they drove it. Thus the virtual cars you compete with are not merely AI-controlled cars with a familiar nametag on them; they represent the real drivers in their brilliance and flaws throughout the entire race. A revolutionary change in simracing we may add.

Throughout the meeting we gradually got to know how iOpener has raised the interest of both racing series and developers, which is a promising sign for the future as they might prove to be the missing link between the two to ensure the production of new interesting race games based on real series. Even though no explicit names are mentioned, the hints are there. Lürling informed us that the application is working on one particular game already, which will go to a beta test phase in the near future. So there are interesting times ahead for us simracing enthusiasts.

At the end of the meeting we were invited to have a look at the first footage, which was recorded at the race track of Zolder. We got to see a lap of recorded on-board footage compared to the virtualised material on a self-made version of the track. All we can say: it works! Of course we have yet to actually play against the recorded drivers, but that wish we can save for when the beta goes live. We’ll definitely be there to keep track and, where we can, report of the new big step in simracing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaQqd30Mxg[/ame]

If you’re interested in this new feature, visit www.real-timeracing.com and register to try out the Real-Time Racing when it goes beta!

In the meantime you can discuss Real-Time Racing on the unofficial forum: click here

Attachments

• iOpener Enabled.jpg
    iOpener Enabled.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 256
Real-Time Racing: Prelude to The Next Step

The news has reached the world of simracing. The ‘release’ of the Real-Time Racing application by iOpener media has become highly anticipated and their eyes are fixed upon them. The next step in simracing? We think so!

And so Bram Hengeveld set out to establish contact with this new player on the market. Shortly after we were invited over to visit their office in Aachen, Germany, and thus Hengeveld and I hit the road to meet with iOpener CEO Andy Lürling and Christophe Dujarric, our contact in iOpener Media.

For those that have missed the recent news about iOpener, here’s a short recap. iOpener Media is the company behind Real-Time Racing and the iOpener Enabled application. This application records and stores data from real races with real drivers on real tracks and translates it to the virtual plain. Once virtual it becomes available to initially Real-Time Racing gamers, so they can participate in that recorded race against the virtualised drivers on the virtualised track. Should this application become available for some top-notch racing series, you might find yourself racing against Lewis Hamilton, Sebastien Loeb or Yvan Muller in a 100% copy of the race as they drove it. Thus the virtual cars you compete with are not merely AI-controlled cars with a familiar nametag on them; they represent the real drivers in their brilliance and flaws throughout the entire race. A revolutionary change in simracing we may add.

Throughout the meeting we gradually got to know how iOpener has raised the interest of both racing series and developers, which is a promising sign for the future as they might prove to be the missing link between the two to ensure the production of new interesting race games based on real series. Even though no explicit names are mentioned, the hints are there. Lürling informed us that the application is working on one particular game already, which will go to a beta test phase in the near future. So there are interesting times ahead for us simracing enthusiasts.

At the end of the meeting we were invited to have a look at the first footage, which was recorded at the race track of Zolder. We got to see a lap of recorded on-board footage compared to the virtualised material on a self-made version of the track. All we can say: it works! Of course we have yet to actually play against the recorded drivers, but that wish we can save for when the beta goes live. We’ll definitely be there to keep track and, where we can, report of the new big step in simracing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaQqd30Mxg[/ame]

If you’re interested in this new feature, visit www.real-timeracing.com and register to try out the Real-Time Racing when it goes beta!

In the meantime you can discuss Real-Time Racing on the unofficial forum: click here

Attachments

• iOpener Enabled.jpg
    iOpener Enabled.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 226
iOpener release beta footage of RTR.

On Sunday, iOpener media uploaded a video of a closed session showing off the Real-Time Racing technology in action. It shows 3 cars racing on one track on the left, and on the right is the technology running in rFactor. As you can see, the tracking is pretty darned impressive. Considering this is technology in it's early stage, we can expect a whole lot more. Just watch:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaQqd30Mxg"]httpvhd://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMaQqd30Mxg[/ame]
Am I the only one excited? If not, then post your opinion below...

@Abdul: I think it is pre-recorded and replayed.

Nice idea. It's interesting and certainly very well done, but the question for me are:

1. How do I fit in this race with my virtual car? I can only image to go with them as a ghost, but that would not raise my interest too much.

2. Do physical parameters match and is it possible to simulate it so well that the real drivers and me have comparable conditions (track, wind, ...)?

3. Won't they vanish after five turns because the average computer driver can't keep up with the pros?

What is the hype?

Ok, so now we will have 24 drivers on the grid that will race against each other. And their race lines, race behaviour will be realistic against the other 23 drivers. How does this fit with human input?
A) The human drivers will not be able to affect the racing line of virtual drivers, for the sake of the race progress and outcome.
B) The computer drivers will be affected by players actions, but will otherwise try to behave 100% as in the race.
C) The computer drivers will adapt to the driving style of humans.

If A) happens then: the player/s will race against moving brick walls. Not fun to have and unlikely to happen.
B) there will be catch up feature to allow virtual drivers to regain their position in race. The other drivers will sometimes behave erratically as the enemy is not there and will battle with invisible enemy. Strange thing to see.
C) no race will end the same, if here will be human driver present. the virtual drivers will try to drive the same style as their real counterpart and will use the moves known to be done by the real counterpart.

I'd say that something like A is lame and not worth pursuing.
Something like B is on the verge of being more arcade than real racing despite good effort. Catch up feature must be ommitted and thus if just the parts where human drivers affect the racing line of virtual driver are "skipped" and the real race situation appended to the race line of that driver whenever it is possible, the virtual driver will again battle invisible opponents. Thus trying to implement B actually leads that C is the best way to do it.
C actually is not a real time racing either, as for the reasons in A an partially B the AI must be able to adapt to human drivers. In such situation I'd say the only way to do this is to record the real races, and ANALYZE for patterns, behaviour, skills and other factors, and "digitizing" them into the particular AI brain of a virtual driver.

In other words, do not try to give me racing with Schumi, give me racing with AI that behaves like Schumi!

and yes, i know, that is impossible.

From what I read a while back, they say if there is an incident or you get involved with the driver, the AI will take over for that car and get it on it's way for the time being. Ofcourse, it's still early in development, so we can expect polish and a finish to it.

1. How do I fit in this race with my virtual car? I can only image to go with them as a ghost, but that would not raise my interest too much.

2. Do physical parameters match and is it possible to simulate it so well that the real drivers and me have comparable conditions (track, wind, ...)?

3. Won't they vanish after five turns because the average computer driver can't keep up with the pros?
1: As far as I know, AI plays a part too, so they are not just holograms you are racing. You can bump them off the track, and they can continue on.

2: It's not even in full Beta yet, so who knows? Would be a cool thing to consider though. I heard that some developers (I read Codemasters, perhaps for the next F1 game?) are interested in the idea, so we could have a purpose built sim for it. :)

3: Well, we won't know until we try. This isn't exactly intended for the casual market right now, is it?

Also, about the Panoz thing, it's just to show the technology. It's doesn't matter whether it's exactly the same. They did conifrm that in the Beta will be the Doge Viper SRT-10 and the Marcos.

Festa, the idea is that they develop this technology, and developers invest into it. Thus, there could (should) be purpose built games for it, and they get the finance they need to develop it further. rFactor is a very friendly game to mods, so it seems right to use that as a base. Also, it is one of the best known sims in the racing world.
Yes, then we can organise some beta events maybe :) TS on, sipping coffee, spotting bugs :)
Sounds cool, I'll geta cuddwy bwanket :)
A real-time Rally game sounds cool. Does that mean we have to get the timecards in on time? And navigate the public roads to get to the service park? (Would be a dream come true to get a game that big, sweeeeet)

• Andrew Evans

i guess it'll be just like racing the ai... but rather than fighting against some approximate alogorithm weighted at particular percentage... you'd fight against ai that takes the exact same lines that hamilton (or whoever) did in whichever race the data was grabbed from....

i reckon it could be blahdee inneresten if it's done properly and its competently accurate...

and it could be thrilling done live... imagine taking to the grid at an f1 race subbing for some crap effort like massa or something :D ho ho ho....

SimBin & iOpener Media sign contract!

Tomorrow (tuesday) will be announced that SimBin and iOpener Media have signed a contract with eachother. iOpener Media is the company that developes the Real-Time Racing technology for racing games.

Read the press release here

Attachments

• Simbin-studios-logo.png
    Simbin-studios-logo.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 227

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back