Read any good books lately?

I just started to read this book.

lewishamilton.jpg

I'm only a few chapters in but has been interesting so far.

I've read a book about celts (mainly Ireland), and one about India in the past few weeks. Didn't finish them yet:) I do not read very often but I felt like I need it so I sit down for a few hours. And I might take my old university books off from the shelves, as I'm planning to have another go at the university (a different one actually), one final attempt to get a better life:) It won't be easy, but I think I have enough motivation now.

As i'm in American literature department in college, i have to read some so-hard-to-understand books :S
Right now it's Scarlet Letter.. Gee!
Actually i have a lot of fun reading these, but still they are hard to understand.

Last one I read was "The Catcher in The Rye"...

Previously was "Of Mice and Men" and "1984"... Also read a part of "Lord of the Flies" but couldn't finish it before giving it back to my English Art and Literature teacher...

Well its an old'ish thread but we all still read

Were to start, i love reading books ive always got one by the bed for late night reading.
To start with this my favorite auther
Robert Rankin ive read most of these upto 2003 and will read the rest over the next year or so..

•The Antipope (1981) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•The Brentford Triangle (1982) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•East of Ealing (1984) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•The Sprouts of Wrath (1984) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•Armageddon: The Musical (1988) (Armageddon Series)
•They Came and Ate Us (Armageddon II: The B Movie) (1991) (Armageddon Series)
•The Suburban Book of the Dead (Armageddon III: The Remake) (1992) (Armageddon Series)
•The Book of Ultimate Truths (1993) (Cornelius Murphy Series)
•Raiders of the Lost Car Park (1994) (Cornelius Murphy Series)
•The Greatest Show Off Earth (1994)
•The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived (1995) (Cornelius Murphy Series)
•The Garden of Unearthly Delights (1995)
•A Dog Called Demolition (1996)
•Nostradamus Ate My Hamster (1996)
•Sprout Mask Replica (1997)
•The Brentford Chainstore Massacre (1997) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•The Dance of the Voodoo Handbag (1998)
•Apocalypso (novel) (1998)
•Snuff Fiction (1999)
•Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls (1999) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•Waiting for Godalming (2000)
•Web Site Story (2001)
•Fandom of the Operator (2001)
•The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse (2002)
•The Witches of Chiswick (2003)
•Knees Up Mother Earth (2004) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•The Brightonomicon (2005) (see also The Brentford Trilogy)
•The Toyminator (2006)
•The Da-da-de-da-da Code (2007)
•Necrophenia (2008)
•Retromancer (2009)
•The Japanese Devil Fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions (2010)
•The Mechanical Messiah and Other Marvels of the Modern Age (2011)
•The Educated Ape and Other Wonders of the Worlds (2012)

Then we look a Terry Pratchett,
The Discworld series ive only read a few but still great reading..

At presant ive just started a small book, i never thought about reading somthing like this, but never say never...
The laws of nature. An infallible Justuice.. http://vedabase.com/en/lon
(this book has taken me by suprise made me think about a few things,)

Ive just been given a book called LABYRINTH (three secrets. Two women One. Grail.) by Kate Mosse it looks good and cant wait to start this.

And ive just about finished Jon Jonhson's The psychopath Test http://www.jonronson.com/
The Psychopath Test
Bob seemed melancholy. It was as if the crash had made him introspective. He said, almost to himself, "I should never have done all my research in prisons. I should have spent my time inside the Stock Exchange as well."

I looked at Bob.

"Do you mean that?" I asked.

"I mean it," he said.

"But surely stock market psychopaths can't be as bad as serial killer psychopaths," I said.

"Serial killers ruin families," shrugged Bob. "Corporate and political and religious psychopaths ruin economies. They ruin societies."

This - Bob was saying - was the straightforward solution to the greatest mystery of all: why is the world so unfair? Why all that savage economic injustice, those brutal wars, the everyday corporate cruelty? The answer: psychopaths. That part of the brain that doesn't function right. You're standing on an escalator and you watch the people going past on the opposite escalator. If you could climb inside their brains you would see we aren't all the same. We aren't all good people just trying to do good. Some of us are psychopaths. And psychopaths are to blame for this brutal, misshapen society. They're the jagged rocks thrown into the still pond.

- An excerpt from The Psychopath Test.

as you can see i like to read..

El Choko was an amazing read imo.

9172638788.jpg

Regular swedish dude gets into some trouble in Sweden and owes people money.
So they persuade him to go down to Bolivia and bring cocaine back.
As 99.9% of the population knows, this is a one-way-ticket to hell as you won´t be getting home.
And sure enough, police catches him with 4 kg´s or something and he gets thrown into the most dangerous place on earth.
San Pedro prison. No guards walk inside, there are cells which are 2 square meters with a hole in the ground for you know what.
Pedophiles do not get special treatment and gets killed on the spot etc.
Basically he´s the only swedish guy in the prison and it´s his story about what happened before, during and after this experience.

If you live in Sweden you can actually go and visit him, he works in a warehouse in "Kungälv", in a supermarket.
True story of course.

I read Mr Nice (story of Howard Marks)
its a great book and a great film.....

HowardMarks-MrNice.jpg

...there a great clip somewhare of Howard and Rhys Ifans (who played him in the film) on the late show ... so funny....

I picked up a secondhand Rudyard Kipling book the other day for $1(!) called 'A Diversity of Creatures.
Ive always wanted to read some of his stuff besides the occasional poem that turns up here & there...
Damn, what heavy reading so far!
Just the language, I think it's due to it being written in the 1900's or then again maybe it's just him, but I'll slog it out.
Im ALWAYS reading something & if I can't find something that takes my fancy then I usually fall back to my Terry Pratchett 'Discworld' collection.
Im always reading his stuff over & over again.
He's got a good sense of humour & manages to hold up a mirror to real life in SO many ways.
Don't let the Fantasy/Magic genre of it put you off s thats all just a back drop to the stories themselves, most times....

BTW, the best bit about books?
There's no commercial breaks! :roflmao:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back