RDWSR 2: Hughes Hits Back

Jimi Hughes announced himself as a prominent contender for the RDWSR 2 title with a dominant win at Croft on Saturday evening. The North Yorkshire circuit hosted the second round of the season, and a combination of tight chicanes and fast sweepers presented a significant challenge to the 18 car field. Hughes showed blistering pace right from the start, taking pole position with a 1.31.3. Fresh off a podium finish at Mid-Ohio, Craig Booth closed out the front row of the grid after falling a tenth short of Hughes’ qualifying time.

Hughes went on to take a lights to flag victory and finish 16 seconds ahead of his closest challenger, Davy Vandevenne, who once again took second place. While he would be forgiven for easing off on the final lap with a 16 second lead, Hughes continued to push his Renault Clio to the absolute limit and was rewarded by clocking the fastest lap as he crossed the finish line. Davy Vandevenne continued his run of consistent performances and remains ideally placed to make a run for the title in the closing rounds. Rounding out the podium was Anthony Levene, who rebounded strongly after a difficult opening round to finish 25 seconds off Hughes. Craig Booth and Jan Wikström also managed to finish on the lead lap, placing 4th and 5th respectively. The biggest mover in the field was Phil Hopkins, who was able to improve 10 positions over the 30 lap race to place 8th overall.

Jimi Hughes – (Qualified 1st, Finished 1st)
“Didn't get off the line particularly well at the start, but got away better than Craig who was P2 who seemed to bog down a bit which allowed me to lead into Turn One. Once the lead was established I was able to put in back to back qualifying laps to pull out a healthy lead in the first 15 minutes while everyone else squabbled over P2. Very pleased to take my first win of the championship, especially after lacking pace at Mid-Ohio”.
Anthony Levene – (Qualified 4th, Finished 3rd)
“I managed to qualify in 4th so avoided being taken out again in the usual turn one mayhem, and had a great race moving up to 2nd, and then had to withstand fairly consistent pressure from Davy, who I believe nicked my 2nd place after my coming together with Chris. Just about managed to bring the wounded car home in 3rd”.
Jan Wikström– (Qualified 6th, Finished 5th)
“I was just to keep on trying to stay with the guys in front but I was just not fast enough today to challenge and they slowly increased the gap to me. Behind the gap increased quickly so I had no one challenging from behind, so it was more a case of staying on track an making sure that I saved the position I had”.
Stefan Woudenberg – (Qualified 13th, Finished 6th)
“I drove my laps consistently and gained place after place. Had fun with Phil and Chris. Due to Xavier's discounted lap due to a fuel stop I could end up in 6th where I should have been 7th if Xavier didn't have his misfortune”.
The next round of the RDWSR will take place at the Heartland Park Topeka Circuit in Kansas. Can Hughes produce another dominating display? Will Vandevenne stand on the top step of the podium after two consecutive second placed finishes? Does Wikström have the pace to fight for wins once again? Keep track of all the action in the RDWSR forums. See you at Heartland Park next Saturday evening!
View the Post on the Blog

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 91 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing