RDRC S7 Round 5 - Barum Rally (24th - 26th May 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very bumpy, narrow and a lot of trees laying around ;-) However, a very nice event with nasty end : after some technical breakage of shifting or gear box or drive shaft ( or all of them ! ) in SS10, I tried to run SS11 with very low speed but finally - without any chance of finishing the last stage - I retired for SS12 ! Anyway, nice run and many thanks to all the people who make it possible to run RDRC !!!

Well.... Just a small comment on the rally, no massive thing because it went so unbelievably bad that I honestly don't know what else could have happen for it to be worse... At least I didn't end up in outer space I suppose... :coffee:

First stage went well, took it very easy but was still on the pace so was looking forward to the rest of the rally at that point.

Then, on SS2, after the initial bollard chicane/slow down thingy, over the crest in the junction, I went into the corner on the same line and same speed as I had done in 12 or so runs offline, and the car overgripped somehow, I was able to save the initial problem but the car overspan the other way and rolled 1 and a quarter lap.
Look at that incident and you'll understand why I really don't like Tarmac physics, I honestly think it would have been better for me to run Gravel tires :(

CFH and as soon as the crowd got the car back on the road I felt that the rear left suspension had been damaged in the roll, so lost another 35 or so secs over the rest of that and the next stage.

So tried to push after service but, as so often with Tarmac in RBR, I found the car overgrip when I went through the corner a bit too quickly and had to retire from a couple of stages.

At least went well on the last stage, the only stage, apart from Semetin 2010, I actually sort of like from the Czech stages.

But anyway, congratz to those who managed to finish the rally, I'm just hoping that I'll scrape together enough points to still have a chance in the GrA cup but from the looks of things, that is that championship over for me.

See you all when we're back on a better surface :)

Pleased and annoyed with my performance in this event. I felt I had good pace, and drove steady and pretty fast. I spun in a hairpin on ss03, and lost lots of time just cruising safely through ss08.
Attacked and was fastest in my session on ss09 :)
On ss10, however, I evaded a post near the start just to drift out wide and hit a post out there instead. Positive - I could now drive the final 3 stages on full trottle. Negative - I could do so because the clutch was slipping. Think I lost somewhere around 30 seconds on this, and that might have costed me a very good finish in an event I really like and enjoy.

Thanks to everyone who has participated so far, and good luck to the rest of you that have yet to drive :)

Just came home from the WRC in Portugal and jumped onto this rally; the first loop was a nice slap in the face telling me I shouldn't try to drive like the real WRC guys :)
The rest of the rally went fine, despite a roll at Pribram after a jump, a spin downhill into some trees in Sementin and some spectators in Pribram R that no longer have the big balls they thought they had. And a last moment scare at the last stage when hitting some wooden posts got the gearbox stuck in 6th gear for the rest of the stage.

Taking it easy paid off, another almost-clean rally with no retirements, hopefully this should give some good points! Nice choice of scary, proper stages, and thank you all the RDRC organizers for again making a good race for us all :)

Happy and frustrated at my performance this time around really pleased for the first 3 legs and a absolute shocker of a final leg.
SS1 - 3 Went smoothly last some time in small spins and stalls but no major time loss just the odd 5 secs and just warming up.
SS4- 6 Went better and was setting top 3 times within the RDRC-2 drivers and closing the gap to the top RDRC-2 driver.
SS7-9 went really well, was enjoying the consistency and times being put especially at Sementin 2009 which I knew would be my worst stage but got through cleanly and with a cracking time.
SS10-12 This is where it all fell apart, got 3 corners into SS10 and hit a lamp post and was stuck in 3 gear with no chance of firing the engine up, retirement absolutely gutted that i had ruined all my hard work in the previous 9 stages in less than 0.5km into the stage. Then on I just overdrove trying to claw back time and ended up losing more in spins and falling off the road
I think I will be lucky if I get some points but I can take some positives in my pace on tarmac against some really fast drivers and my new recce technique is staring to show its rewards in most of stages.
Thanks to the organisers

So close!

My approach for this rally was to take it easy. I squeezed some practice in today, familiarized myself with the roads and decided to aim for a clean finish.

It didn't go 100% as planned. Spun on SS1 (the damn righthander on the junction ;) and I kept making small mistakes and spins on pretty much every stage.

The trouble came on PTD (SS5). The change in rythm turned out too much for me and I just barely slid off into the trees on the "fast left" on gravel. Touched a treetrunk with the front, bam, gearbox locked in 4th.

In itself it wouldn't be so bad, but on SS6 I got "it seems that the gearbox is broken" and had to limp 9kms of Pribram crawling at 60kph, which only saved me 17s from retiring :/.

After that tried to collect myself and managed to finish all the stages. Had a violent spin on almost every one of them (nothing to pump you andrenaline like a spin at full tilt, hoping that you don't smash into anything :D).

My secondary target was to keep up/beat Ole and Jonatan, so mission accomplished! :D I actually liked very much all of the stages (bar Wisła Rally and PTD that don't fit the rythm at all :/) and I think it was the best job I did on Czech tarmac, so yay me! :)

Congrats to all finishers and can't wait for the results + highlights now!

Such a nice rally compared to others, the system seemed to have retired me from Stage 8 which is a shame, but the rest of it was top.
Previously I missed corners and ended up retiring, this time I only just missed corners, and the worst was a CFH. Happy days :)

I actually liked very much all of the stages (bar Wisła Rally and PTD that don't fit the rythm at all :/)

Ye, to be completely honest, I wanted a rally without re-runs of any stages, and at the same time, with only one trip trough Sementin. Both PTD and Wisla is tight, somewhat bumpy tarmac stages with a little bit of gravel. I agree that they have a different rythm and flow, but at the same time, the characteristic of the stages are fairly similar :)

Ye, to be completely honest, I wanted a rally without re-runs of any stages, and at the same time, with only one trip trough Sementin. Both PTD and Wisla is tight, somewhat bumpy tarmac stages with a little bit of gravel. I agree that they have a different rythm and flow, but at the same time, the characteristic of the stages are fairly similar :)
By the way, could you check my ptd stage, it gave me a default time instead of my 5 min run pls :unsure:

Damn, seems like there have been quite a bit of problems this round.

Ok, I have already started to use replays, check that the replays with with the rally, in time and all that stuff, so I'll have to keep doing it for this rally.

However @Jonatan Åcerclinth @Aidan Keranen and others that might have had the same issue.

From the "notes" part in the rally threads (post 2 in every single rally thread) it says:
  • IMPORTANT - At the end of the rally, take a screenshot of RSCenter, or save your times. If there is a discrepancy in the results, this is the only evidence you'll have to get your times corrected.
This isn't anything that's been strictly enforced, as it have usually been one stage a season that one driver have had an issue with. As I said, I've already started doing it the replay-way, and checking that everything fits (damage carried over from last stage, timestamps etc.) - but I don't think I'll do that in the future.

@Tyrone Frith I'll have to check your replay as well, but I do think I know what the problem is ;)

An ups-and-downs rally.

My first leg was pretty disastrous. Spin-crashes on SS1 and SS2 led to me completing SS3 with a damaged car and high water temperature. I got through though, so I felt pretty good.

Things went from iffy to bad on SS5. An errant log on PTD Rallysprint wrecked my gearbox, and there was no way I was doing the entirety of Pribram at 60km/h, so I elected to retire from SS6.

Wisla and Semetin... oh, how I hate you so. Liptakov, how I love you so! I was expecting to do horribly on Wisla and Semetin, having done no practice for either, and cruise on Liptakov as I knew the stage well. As it turns out, fortunes were reversed – I did well on Wisla and Semetin and made a mess of Liptakov. Most likely I was on my guard for the two former, and on the latter I let my guard down a bit too much. It didn't help that I tried to be a smartass and try a handbrake turn on one of Liptakov's open 2nd-gear hairpins, which sent me around. Derp.

And the last leg was also disastrous. Retirements on all three stages. Bleh.

@Jonatan Åcerclinth @Tyrone Frith
You guys have missed the finish-line on the PTD-stage. That's why you both have got a 99% finished stage, and no actual time. Which means that there wouldn't been any help in screenshots or saving the times.

Bringing it to the RDRC-crew for a decision ;) While I head to work! :)
Umm.... Are you supposed to go left back onto the Gravel or something?

Since that way of driving, going straight on the tarmac, has always worked in Offline I've not cared to make sure how to drive that stage :unsure:

Then never mind, I don't need that stage I don't think, the GrA champ is over either way so it would be nice for a closer fight for 2nd in the champ instead of me pulling ahead as I dind't finish the stage correctly after all :)

EDIT: Just watched a video, so that is where the finish is... I watched another video for another club event and he did it the way I drove it in the rally, strange I've not reacted on the notes where it could say K-left and K-Right, right? :speechless:

Things went from iffy to bad on SS5. An errant log on PTD Rallysprint wrecked my gearbox, and there was no way I was doing the entirety of Pribram at 60km/h, so I elected to retire from SS6.
Wuss! Those 17s are totally worth it.

Umm.... Are you supposed to go left back onto the Gravel or something?
Yeah. In practice that was one of the two things I tried to hammer into my head (kept going straight). The other was to not turn right onto the tarmac out of habit after the start despite the co-driver clearly telling me to turn left :D

Side note: I've ditched the visual notes, going audio-only is so better for concentration ^^ (unless the notes are as out of whack as on Wisła).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back