RDRC S7 Round 3 - Rally Alsace (12th-14th April 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just completed a demanding and stressful Rally Alsace RDRC S7 Round 3... and as described by Daniel Monteiro inconveniences and bad surprises are present behind any curve and road bumps!
Simply a moment of distraction and the risk of damaging the car and lose the race await you...

Personally I did a decent race and much better performance in the second half, because in five of the first six stages I had an irritating engine shutdown that made me lose many precious seconds (least thirty)... it also happened in the previous rounds, but not for so many times!
A real shame, because in a competition of such a high level it is not possible throwing away so many seconds.
I do not know if this problem depends on my way to drive or it is a known fact that happens with Skoda Fabia...!?!

Certainly without this disadvantage would have been a completely different story.
Patience, it is always a game but it was still fun! :)

For the last 4 stages I decided to mount intermediate tires and then, I have alternated a dry setup (Alsace and Sieversdorf) and wet setup (Lyon-Gerland and Bruchsal Unterowisheim).
I think it was a good move...

OK drivers, now it is your turn ;)

Last edited:
Was a very good rally, until I hit the final leg. Sieversdorf claimed me, and with a slipping clutch I had to repair, and missed SS10. That will really hurt me.

Oh well, all things considered I had a good time and ran times that I was happy with. Onto the next round I guess.

First comment.....
I truly hate Tarmac Tire Physics on RBR, as soon as you just slightly leave the road a bit with a tire, the others overgrip and you tip over onto your side or roll like crazy if you are going quick enough (happened 4 or 5 times during the rally) which cost me a DNF and several CFH's :(
And then they undergrip in other situations, that happened once, cost me a DNF :(

Second comment....
I was made 1050 SEK (about 80 Quid/British Pound) poorer yesterday after having had tooth ache since the night towards Saturday and with that had only 5 hours sleep over the weekend and then so tired that I slept from 5 to about half an hour before the OC session started and no mean to practice for the rally due to all of this...

Third comment....
Not much to see here, no luck, no confidence in the car nor the physics themselves and not in the right kind of mind :(

Good luck to those still to run, I hope you will have better runs than I did.

Was a very good rally, until I hit the final leg. Sieversdorf claimed me, and with a slipping clutch I had to repair, and missed SS10. That will really hurt me.

Oh well, all things considered I had a good time and ran times that I was happy with. Onto the next round I guess.
It seems that you no longer have to make "Rhys sucks at RBR" now :(

Oh wow..... Rally ruined by my mum.... She came in the room when I was on the last stage, I killed the car. Thanks for more than 1 hour of nothing............

*EDIT: Just so you dont get me wrong, that last thing I said isnt meant to organizers or RD staff, its just there for I dont know what reason. I apologise if I said anything against you because the rally was great.

Last edited:
Will write this "live". So I won't go back and edit later on.

Pre Rally: No testing at all, don't have time for that stuff... No confidence in the Lancer on Tarmac, never had any either, so... ye. Top 30 overall, and I'm happy! :)

SS1: Safe on a short stage. Rather lose 3 seconds on driving safe, than 30 on messing up.
SS2: A spin on the first sector, and very easy driving, didn't even dear to use handbrake in the 90's... But somehow fastest in the session, ahead of Sparovec, Pribanic, Pinho, Magnes, Grainger, McDonald... So, whatever happens, I'm happy with the rally.

SS3: More typical me and the Lancer on Tarmac, a spin early on, then careful driving. Lower half in the session, and 30 sec behind session leader on the stage!
SS4: An OK stage for me on Tarmac, hit something during the end of the stage, that destroyed... uhm, sometime. Only power on 3 wheels for some reason, and a pretty annoying "click" sound while driving.
SS5: Uhm, guess I destroyed something else as well. 1.3km and retirement!

SS6: Yet another better safe than sorry stage :)
SS7: Not to shabby really, a bit lucky over a medium left over a crest, other than that, fairly good. 5th fastest in session, but I do think there will be some penalties of varying degree handed out on this stage.

SS8: Intermediate tyres for me on the last loop, make it as good as possible on Bruschal, I find that more scary than Sieversdorf! 6 seconds faster than first time on the stage.
SS9: Ups! Anybody want some wine-grapes? Retired!
SS10: Ehe, slippery, slippery! Somehow managed to pull the car into a Scandinavian-Flick into Turn 3... Problem is that with this little space, I wasn't able to flick it. So... I kinda took a Scandinavian!
SS11: Had nothing to lose, so I went flat out... It was good that I didn't have anything to lose...

So in the end, the rally went as expected. Surprised with SS2, and the rest, just like always on tarmac with the Lancer.

Bring on the gravel! :D

Total let down
A rally on asphalt that is where I feel comfortable, I could train a little before the race and was able to be fast and not make mistakes, the worst was when he began serious competition.

SS1: With caution to avoid damaging the car or the race.
SS2: I made several small mistakes but no damage to the car, despite these small mistakes was getting to be fast, the worst was at the end of the sstage where the narrow zone lose control of the car and I get it in a way that does not could move, had to use CFH :(
SS3: Again to make some small mistakes that made me lose several seconds.
SS4: The 1st stage of the rally I did and went well :D
SS5: Cautiously but to run as well as the previous stage.
SS6: I hit in the barriers at the 1st corner and then the chicane also hit and I was damage to the car steering.
SS7: With the damaged car was the best I could walk in Bergheim, still could be quick and make a good time.
Not the fastest in the session as not all drivers did the thing as it should be :p
SS8: My option was to take intermediate tires because I knew I could go relatively fast with them in SS8 and SS9 and felt better in SS11 this way, the worst thing was that everything went badly and almost at the beginning of the stage off a curve slightly widen the path, going the wheels to curb and lost control of the car, going right to a tree, then the engine dying and forcing me to do Retired :mad:
SS9: With the lost concentration in the previous event, until everything was going well and I think that was to be fast, but one of the last curves distract me and went too fast on a curve and could not do, departing road and to have that use a CFH again.
SS10: With great caution also because the previous passage had gone very wrong, and this time everything went well.
SS11: It went well, only a few small exaggeration, normal who was already discouraged by past mistakes and who was no longer with the maximum concentration because I had completely spoiled the rally.

Without knowing the progress of the fastest riders, tried to walk always very fast, with the remaining riders in my session, could be "quite" faster, after seeing the times of this evidence, I will have a sense of progress all asphalt pilots, which is a floor that I feel comfortable and I think I'm fast.

Thanks to the organization for this great rally that despite my bad result derived 1 Retired and 2 CFH, loved the covered stages.
Until the next race:thumbsup:

Debuted the VW Polo on the surface that I feel the most comfortable with. Supposedly...
Some notes from the rally:

SS04 - Struggeled with bad understeer. Spun in the final junction, lost 30 seconds in getting back on the road.
SS05 - Spun in the final corner and hit a tree. Had to reverse, dropped another 6-7 seconds.
SS07 - Spun midway through, lost another 5-7 seconds on that.
SS09 - Overshot a junction quite early. The rear wheels are loose at the end of the stage, even by staying in the middle of the road(!)
SS10 - Incredibly slippery with dry weather tires!
SS11 - Slippery here too. Spun just before sector 2. Drove very carefully otherwise.

I finished all the stages for the first time this year, I really hope that brings in some points!

ftzpjk.jpg

Had quite good practice. I usually don't like tarmac in RBR, but stages were surprisingly nice, so I had some good hopes. My aim was to get good points in the class, no need to win.

SS1 - Nothing really to say, clean stage.
SS2 - Missed one junction, also one half-spin with nice timeloss. Not the way to start the rally. At least I have some skill to keep car undamaged.

SS3 - Really nice stage, nice flowing corners. Probably one of my favorite stages in this rally.
SS4 - Kind of safe driving, but stage is still quite tricky, so I had some near misses.
SS5 - Despite poor pacenotes, I tried to push here. Still no stage winning time...

SS6 - No drama, clean stage yet again.
SS7 - Good stage, no mistakes. Got nice feeling here, hopefully next Sieversdorf won't be that unpleasant for me.

SS8 - I went for dry slicks for this loop, so once again I was enjoying this awesome stage.
SS9 - Good stage, good rythm, no mistakes and good time for me.
SS10 - Oh crap, I knew it will be slippery, but oh my. Crashed in first corner, took quite some time to get in right direction once again. Precious seconds...
SS11 - Managed to stall my car twice, got rid of first bumper. But all in all I think I survived and didn't lost much time, so nothing wrong.

Last edited:
I wonder how it's possible to do 1st split in SS7 - Bergheim in 1 minute...
If you dont listen to your codriver before roundabout so you dont turn left but you go right to Shell gas station its possible. I know what you aiming at and i belive race judges will notice that. If they dont we will point the problem to them.
So, first to congrat to you Karl for good fight and tight photofinish in my favor for -00:00:75 :thumbsup:
I started this rally with no preparation and just with desire to finish in one piece. Tarmac rally is not my favorite so any point (IF i get any) is huge for me. I had smooth pace and i made 1 or two minor mistakes. My teammate did great job this time and i hope he will get some points for team. Tnx Dudo for cover me. Tny for organizers and see you soon...

Well this rally was a mixed bag
SS1 - Really pleased with my time, fastest I've ever gone through there
SS2 - Was going well until the final few Km where I just kept making mistakes and the time showed
SS3 - This is where the rally started to go downhill, one of my favorite stages and I had a really rookie 180 spin in a 4th gear left, then a spin in the end but the time loss wasn't to bad as I was flying in between the silly mistakes until 0.84km to go a 3rd gear left I pulled the handbrake to tuck the front in and ended up skidding off the road into a ditch and lost a good 20 seconds pulling myself back out, absolutely gutted
SS4 - Started ok, had some hairy moments but got away with them, and then in a slowish corner went in to fast over rotated the car and hit the post in the grape field and couldn't get the engine restarted, couldn't believe I was going to retire on a stage two rally's in a row
SS5 - Stage I knew well and was going well until 2km to go where got a snap oversteer moment and caught a tree and the engine was constantly on the redline but was still going so just drove it to the end
SS6 - After the second loop kicking my ass, a new leg a new start, clipped the barrier at the end, went 0.98 slower than in SS1
SS7 - Going well until final sector where it just fell apart with stalls and spins at the hairpins
SS8 - Finally a really good stage made no mistakes and made up for SS3 and then some, really pleased with how I drove
SS9 - Didnt retire which was better than SS4, but still too many spins and stalls
SS10 - Went with the dry tyre for this leg which made this interesting and lost a couple of seconds at the hairpin with so much wheelspin
SS11 - Didnt treat the conditions with respect and spun alot and pulled a few Jari-Matti in the grape vines but was able to get to the end but with a pretty poor time

This rally showed some hope with my pace when I put a clean stage in, but still making too many mistakes, need to change something for round 4 either in how I recce the stages or having to alter the notes to make me slow down a bit more and give more consistency or more detail to allow me too make adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back