RDRC S5 Round 8 - Safari Rally (24th - 27th August 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove the EU3-session. I didn´t see the usual window showing my and fellow competitors results after each stage. (I have the roadbook and mytimes windows) Does anyone know why or how to show the results window again?
Anyway; I had a good rally, Except for SS3 were i crashed and had to retire and SS12 where I first Went off and lost 20 seconds and then rolled in the last corner.

Pre-Rally: This is going to be a challenge. :p. For some reason I've been suffering micro-stuttering, which makes driving very difficult. I haven't really put in much practice, due to the stuttering making things not-so-fun. So I'm just gonna put my head down, bare my teeth, and try to drive as best I can. No DNFs would make me (somewhat) happy.

----
SS1-Bit tentative, but OK. I don't think the DS3 suits the fast stages so much, it has a very short gear ratio.
SS2-Actually pretty happy with that one, had a good feeling with the car despite the stutters.
SS3-Started quite well, but I had two moments in the middle sector, one perilously close to the edge, and the other had a wee off. Only lost a few seconds each time though, I think. So not too bad.
SS4-I like the camber on this stage, makes the corners a lot of fun. Had a slight off again, with the blind right turn immediately over the crest, leading to a long downhill section. Got back on the track pretty quick, managed to avoid hitting anything. So I was a wee bit slower on both the reverse stages, but not too bad.

I'm going to opt for wet tyres for the tropical leg, though I suspect most others will aswell, dunno if that will make these first two stages tricky or not, but I sure don't want to drive in the wet stages with inters.
SS5-Actually, there was quite a bit more grip than I thought there would be. I was a bit off the pace though, took things cautiously, especially the downhill sections. Had a moment on the 3rd to last corner, nearly hit a tree.
SS6-Pretty good, a little bit faster than Noiker, but still a bit slow.
SS7-Again, I was quite surprised by the level of grip. Although I did go wide in a few places. In one of the forest sections I went to fast into a corner, so aborted halfway through and went for a gap in the trees. :D Lost a wee bit of time there, but no CFH or damage.
SS8-That was wet. Had a lot of fun in the last sector, really got into the rhythm.

Desert leg now. I know from running on Jourdain in the past to listen to the pacenotes. There's a junction somewhere, that if you miss will let you out two minutes from the junction (i.e. backwards). So lots of attention for those two stages.
SS9-Went pretty well, except a goof where I (surprise!) didn't hear a junction call, lost some time turning around.
SS10-Good stage, felt very comfortable. Had a slight moment near the end clipping a bank, managed to save it though.
SS11-Aagh, had a spin right near the end, lost a bit of time there as well.
SS12-Phwwaaaa! That was close. I felt pretty comfortable so was pushing on this stage. Messed up the braking into a junction and was sliding sideways, nothing could I do, and I knew I was headed for a tree. Pwhunk. Tentative throttle... yes, engine still work. Nothing but cosmetic damage luckily, and I carried on my merry way.

Now just the power stage, I really enjoy Gran Canaria, don't know why.
SS13-Made a right mess of that one, no power stage points for me I think. Very scrappy.

----
Post-Rally: Well, I finished all stages without DNF or CFH, so I'm happy. A lot of small mistakes creeping in, but only one major mistake.

I definitely need new pedals though, my legs are aching, the current set is too uncomfortable. (or maybe I need a new chair).

Also, I noticed stuttering was worse on stages with lots of objects, and I was getting a lot of pop-in. So I'll try running a defrag, see if that helps.

Thanks to the organizers, good fun. :) And thanks to Jonatan for driving with me :)

One of the better rallys for me this season although the oace wasn't that spectacular. I felt very good right from the start - maybe a little too good because I spun at least two times on SS1 and had an unfortunate DNF on SS2. Reid told me to keep left over crest but I kept it too left and I landed on the road camber and rolled. SS3 was very difficult with all those crests and bumps. Can't remember when I've last driven through Hualapai II.

It was quite ok then until SS6 and Pirka Menoko. It was fine except one turn when I slid off road and head onto a tree. "Luckily" I only broke the radiator there and could finish the stage but there was nothing to be done on Noiker and the engine died halfway through that stage.

Rest of the rally was fine - odd error here and there but nothing more serious than a few scratches on the paintjob. A few points would be nice :)

I also know that I don't drive my Proton properly. I could be so much faster with a proper technique but what do you do... It's just so much fun this way :D Next season I'll jump into a more suitable for my driving style. And that's the RWD Corolla :inlove:

Very dissapointed with my performance today.

Was to busy in the past days so I was limited to a short shakedown before the session, as with several other rallies this season, but usually that wasn´t a big problem.

SS1 - off to a really good start, managed to get through without any big errors.
SS2 - just messes up a few meters into the stage hitting an iron bar i didn´t really see, but well **** happens
SS3 - couldn´t get into a rythmn at all, got really frustrated with some of the pacenote calls which came very late, 2x CFH totally awful, was about to just hit escape at a few points during this stage.
SS4 - managed to get through with a very damaged car from SS3, slow but at least finished.

1st Service - was hoping to get back into a rythmn for the rest of the rally now. Also decided to take the wet tyres to be prepared for the 2 wet stages, surprisingly i was the only one who did that in my session it seems.

SS5 - struggled with the grip, which showed in the time, wasn´t as fast compared to others.
SS6 - well, another brain fade, hit a tree about halfway through and lost the engine.
SS7 - went good, set the fastest time in the session, so clearly i was the only one with wet tyres.
SS8 - some had crashed in the last stages as well so i wasn´t the only one on wet tyres anymore, so order was back to normal.

SS9 - didn´t really get along to well there, the textures made it kind of difficult as there wasn´t much contrast. Time was ok though i think.
SS10 - went quite well, enjoyed the driving even. Only hit a tree about 1 third through which bent the steering a bit but didn´t cost me to much time.
SS11 - in the dark the contrast problem became a bit worse, but managed to struggle through.
SS12 - wanted to make an equally good run as before, but short before the end some marshall was in my way, so lost another 45s, would have been a good time otherwise.

SS13 - tried to push hard for the 3 extra points, went well, but Teemu was to quick giving me almost 6s, but hopefully it´s still enough for points.

Overall a really dissapointing result, could have been so much more if i had been able to focus better. We´ll see how the table stands after the results are out.

Only 2 retirements in the whole rally :confused:

NONE here:D

But it's been a long way until then...

*Diamond Creek II*

Saki: "Big jump over crest, go right"

*Misses apex*

Saki: "Mein Gott, was machst du?!!?" :confused: What are you doing? RIGHT-"

*BANG ROLL ROLL ROLL SLAM aka CRASH BANG WALLOP*

David: "tschuldigung. Thought you meant left over crest and rickroll." :unsure:

Saki: :sick:

*Goes straight at the last turn of the stage*

Saki: "Listen to me! Are you not focusing enough like that Samir guy? Just the last turn left, and you are already in the service park with your thoughts!" :O_o:

David: "Sorry, locked the brakes, lost focus."

Saki: :coffee:

"Samir guy":

*2nd run of Noiker(wet&slippery from the rain coming down), goes wider and wider at a bend, ends up facing a tree at slow speed*

Saki: "Alright. Just reverse out of this and we're alright."

*Shifts*

David: "Saki?"

Saki: "Yes?"

David: "The car's stuck in first." :cry:

Saki: "Your luck's terrible once again. Congratulations?"

David: "FFFFFFF...rack." :cry:

Finishes Noiker anyway after driving half of it in 1st gear*

*Start of the 2nd Pirka Menoko run*

David: "Some good news. The mechanics managed to the gears back, I can shift into them."

Saki: "Nice, that's what they're paid for."

David: "Saki?"

Saki: "Here it comes... what?"

David: "There's no forward propulsion if I shift into them though, first it is again! At least at 105 km/h instead of just 80 km/h last stage!":roflmao:

*TA-DAA Face*
1353379700b.png

Saki: "Ah great, another run of disappointment, the feel of bitterness and "what-could-have-been" afterwards." :rolleyes:

*About 3 kilometers into the stage, near halfway mark*

David: "Uh oh..."

Saki: "Can it get any worse? What now?"

David: "Oil temperature is over 130, I think we gonna have to creep to the line a 50 km/h."

Saki: "At 50 km/h? Really?"

David: "Deal with it." :cool:

Saki: "You don't need me then. Wake me up when you''ve finished the stage."

*Manages to crawl along those 3.5 kms to the end of the stage*

*Last but not last, the night run at New Bobs II*

Saki: "C'mon, it's night, go faster you napping coward, gain time!" :sleep:

David: "That's what you say. AT NIGHT. :sneaky: "Actually, wouldn't it be better to go more... slowly?" :laugh:

Saki: "God, please finish the rally, your jokes&remarks are getting out of hand again." :rolleyes:

David: Don't know what you mean." :whistling:

------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, that was my rally:D No retirements, but I must have lost 3 minutes with a stuck first gear. Wish I had shifted to 4-6 gear before the hit. But at least I nursed the car home:thumbsup:

And finally, on some stages, taking turns nicely, I remembered why I like RBR more than even my old Colin games on the PS. It just feels so damn good to drive(grinning inside) when the car&run smoothly.

Thanks! Luckily, I had your gravel setups;) Maybe I should post my replays of the mentioned stages, comedy gold. *plays Benny Hill theme over it*

Actually, I made a mistake in my post above: I wrote, Saki said there's a last left turn in Diamond Creek II.

But it's a right hander:p No wonder I was searching for a left turn!

Saki: "Hey, don't blame me! You wrote this rubbish notebook!"

"You draw like a 6 year-old, btw."

:confused:

Rally done for me too... I'm very disapointed with my result...
First Stage i loss 1m30s for the first, two mistakes and the car goes to outside of the road and had CFH... In the rest of the stages i've tried to go more carefull...
In the next session a small touch on a tree in Pirka and my car was overheaten, in the next Stage noiker the car simply shutsdown... In the rest of the Rally i've tried to make a good pace but again small and stupid mistakes costs me more time that i've expected to loose...
Hope the next Rally goes better...

Just had to build a new PC and reinstall RSRBR before the rally began. Stage one and two had my pace notes in French lol... and by stage 3 my game crashed which counted as a retirement. I didn't get to participate in stage 4 because i tried to enter RBR outside of RSRBR in order to change some options and the client counted me as going into the stage prematurely.... REALLY?

I didn't bother trying after that.

Hey!!!!!! 1ST PLACE. That was a big suprise. The rally was good for me but on the wet stages i felt like i was driving on ice with dry tarmac tyres. It was extremly slippery. So i dont think this should end up on top of podium.

Congrats to Emil and Manuel for podiumplacing and to all other class vinners

AND A BIG THANK TO THOSE WHO MAKE THIS POSSIBLE:thumbsup:.....because of you we have lots of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%