• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

RDLMS S7 by Vesaro | Round 4 | Thrustmaster 6 Hours of Road America

Discussion in 'RD Le Mans Series by Vesaro' started by Daiman Patel, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Added to Calendar: 26-08-17
  1. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    RaceDepartment Le Mans Series Season 7 by Vesaro (2017)
    Round 4 | Thrustmaster 6 Hours of Road America
    August 26th, 2017

Road-America.png

Session Timetable
    • 10:55 | Race server reboot
    • 11:00 | Official practice & Briefing (no duplicate cars allowed from this point)
    • 11:40 | GT qualifying (30 minutes)
    • 12:10 | Qualifying switch-over (5 minutes)
    • 12:15 | Prototype qualifying (30 minutes)
    • 12:45 | Warm-up
    • 13:00 | Race start (in-game: 13:00 / 1:00 PM)
    • 19:00 | Race ends (in-game: 19:00 / 7:00 PM)
    All times are posted in GMT.

Server Details
    Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS R4
    Password: Click here
    Track: Road America (v1.03)
    Cars: EnduRacers Endurance Series (v4.0) (alt. link: v4.0)
    Safety car: RD Safety Car - Nissan 370z (v1.2)

Live timing: HERE
    Track map: HERE
    Track map [alt.]: HERE
    Server status: HERE

Weather data & forecast: HERE

Steward Notes
    • Please review the latest version of the regulations before joining.
    • Please make sure your line-up is up to date. Communicate any changes in the Sign-Up thread. The current state of your line-up can also be found here, in the opening post.
    Safety-first Zones

The following diagram indicates the location of Safety-first Zones for Round 4, the Thrustmaster 6 Hours of Road America:
    Road America-zoned.png
    The yellow zone, which will be in effect during the first lap following a start or restart, shall commence along the start / finish straight and end just after The Kink - Turn 11.

The orange zones, of which there are 4, shall be enforced for the duration of the race, and are positioned as follows:
    • Turn 5 (after the Moraine Sweep)
    • Turn 6 (starting at the bridge)
    • Carousel - Turn 9 and Turn 10 (starting at the bridge)
    • Canada Corner - Turn 12 (after Kettle Bottoms)
    Please refer to the image at the top of this post for corner and section names.

For those unable to easily distinguish the yellow zone from the orange zones, the yellow zone colour has been switched to blue in the track diagram below. Please click on the thumbnail to expand the image.
    Road America-zoned-accessible.png

Pit Entry Positioning

For the race at Road America, we recommend that any cars intending to enter the pits should stay as far right (towards the inside of the track) as possible when exiting Turn 14. Any cars looking to overtake should do so around the outside / left side of the track, as the pit entry lane is approached.

Physical Driver Swap Penalty Position

Following a physical driver swap, the new driver is expected to drive to the end of the pit-lane and stop for 5 seconds (the time for an in-game driver swap) to account for any time that could be gained. Race Control should be informed when a swap is due to be performed so that a steward can be sent to oversee the pit-stop and ensure that the 5 second "penalty" is served. Please refer to the attached images ('Physical Driver Swap Penalty Box #.JPG') which show where the driver is expected to stop the car after a physical driver swap has been performed.

REPORTING AN INCIDENT DURING THE RACE

To help simplify the process of reporting collisions, crashes, cutting, and questionable driving during an event, a form has been created that will allow a team to submit all of the necessary information to Race Control so that the incident may be reviewed and actioned by the live stewards. The form can be found here:

RDLMS S7 - Incident Report Form

You must submit the form for each incident that you would like to raise during the course of the race. When dealing with an incident we shall contact you via TeamSpeak if we require any more information. We shall also inform you via TeamSpeak if and when any action has been taken in relation to your report.

This thread may be subject to changes. Please review regularly.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 11:44
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    IMPORTANT!

Apologies for the delay, but I am glad to finally announce that the servers for Round 4 for the RDLMS powered by Vesaro - RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS R4 and RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS DRY - are now available and open for testing and training.

Both servers have been setup with the first test version - v0.8 - of the custom Road America circuit, originally developed by Dennis Grebe and Alex Coutie, and updated for the RDLMS by our track development team. The resource is still in the "beta" phase, and work is still ongoing, so you may find that there are minor bugs and performance issues which will be resolved before the final release, 2 weeks prior to the Round 4 event. If you experience any issues then we would like to encourage you to submit a report, so that the problems can be ironed out during the next few weeks. All feedback will be much appreciated so that we can ensure the track is ready. Please direct any questions about the track, or bug reports to @Gijs van Elderen. An announcement shall be made each time a new version of the track is released.

We would like to ask you to ensure that this version of the track remains private. The component must not be made publicly available to or shared with anyone outside RaceDepartment - only Premium Members are permitted to access the server and resource. Anybody who is found to have distributed or utilised this mod without prior permission, except for the RDLMS or personal use, shall face disciplinary action - this may include expulsion from the league, and a potential ban from RaceDepartment. Thank you for your cooperation.

Meanwhile, to save you from downloading a potentially large component file for early testing and training, especially since there are currently no further updates to the base resource, the servers have been setup using the latest version - v3.1 - of the custom car / skin pack from Round 3. (This is based on v1.5 of the Endurance Series mod.) Therefore special liveries for Le Mans and the streamlined bodywork / cars will still be available, for the time being. Apologies for any inconvenience. However skin sharing is enabled on both servers, so if you would like to test with a new / the original version of your skin then you are able and more then welcome to do so.

The updated pack - v4.0 - will be created and released on Saturday 12th August with all new and updated skins, and the bodywork of all cars shall be restored to their original state unless we are informed otherwise. However please note that if you submitted a special livery for Le Mans and would now like to revert to your original livery then you must inform @Daiman Patel, else your skin files will not be changed. The submission deadline for skin files and the notification deadline for reverting skin files will be at 23:59 GMT on Friday 11th August. Finally I would like to apologise for livery related issues during the previous round - there were a couple of teams who found that the incorrect skin files were being loaded for their car; the cause of the problem has been identified, and it will be rectified when the next version of the custom car / skin pack is released.

If you have already subscribed to the private Steam Workshop group - see here for more information - then the updated resources will be automatically downloaded when you open the Steam client (you shall need to close rFactor 2, including the Launcher, first / before you log in to the server else the process to retrieve updates from the Workshop will not commence). If you have not yet subscribed to the private Workshop group then you may do so by following these instructions. Alternatively the resources can be automatically downloaded and installed via GetMod, when you login to the official RaceDepartment servers for the RDLMS (RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS R4or RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS DRY). The component files can also be acquired manually, via direct download links in the General Information thread, and also the event thread (Round 4: Thrustmaster 6 Hours of Road America). If you experience any issues with accessing the updated files then please inform us as soon as possible so that we can investigate and rectify any problems.

I would like to remind all teams to submit new and updated livery files, if they have not done so already, for Round 4. All and any new entrants must submit skin files, else they risk not being able to participate in the race, and these must include an albedo map to ensure compatibility with DX11 (even if you are still using DX9). If you choose to revise your livery design then we would also like to ask that you ensure an albedo map has been applied. For more information about albedo maps please see this link - https://www.studio-397.com/guidelines-for-artists/ - which provides instructions on how to correct skin files under the section titled "How to quickly update car skins / color maps". If there are any problems with the albedo map (i.e. if it is missing, or has not been correctly applied) you shall be asked to make appropriate amendments and will need to resubmit your skin files for Round 4. Any files that have been sent already will be processed soon. Also, to reiterate, if you would like to revert to an original livery (following the 24 Hours of Le Mans event) then you must inform @Daiman Patel else the skin files for Round 3 will continue to be used for your car. The submission deadline for skin files and the notification deadline for reverting skin files will be at 23:59 GMT on Friday 11th August.

Finally I would just like to inform everyone that the entry list in the Sign Up thread shall be updated this coming week - I am aware that there are a number of line up changes and new entry applications to be processed, and I will try to get through these as quickly and as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson
    #118 RMI Motorsport (RDLMS) Premium

Ratings:
    +431
    Is this going to be a simulated 24 hours?

4. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Ooops! That's a mistake! :redface: My bad... :whistling: I can confirm that the in-game race duration will be in real-time; there will not be accelerated time progression, so the race will commence at 13:00 and end at 19:00 in-game time. I have corrected the information in the opening post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joakim Stensnæs

Joakim Stensnæs
    Simracing non?-rookie Premium

Ratings:
    +70
    Got a couple of pointers for the track:

- Can we get some pitlane exit markers? It's hard to tell currently where the pitlane ends as there's no marking.
    - There's a gap between the road and curb on the exit of turn 5 (according to the map in the OP).
    - Some of the curbing is VERY rough in the FFB and other curbs are almost not giving any feedback, even though they look similar, example: Exit of the carousel is very rough (red/yellow curb) yet the apex of the kink is completely smooth, will this be addressed or left as is?
    - Is there an ETA for live timings?

Cheers guys o/

6. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,713
    one quick query about practise servers. do both dry and round 4 have the same level of grip in dry conditions? could you clarify how the track rubber develops over time on these two servers and the impact of track temperature on lAp times?
    thank you

• Like Like x 1
  7. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Thank you very much for your feedback Joakim - I'll be sure to send this on to our track development team. :thumbsup:

Yes, this is definitely a requirement to avoid needless penalties for speeding in the pit lane - we shall be sure to add markers indicating the end of the pit lane in the next version of the track.

This is not something of which we were previously aware so thank you for the heads up. We shall look to fix this before the race.

It's possible that this is intentional, but I could not say for sure. Also I cannot say for certain how quick or easy it will be to make the curbs more consistent, but I will raise the issue with the track development team and ask about the feasibility of making such a change prior to the race.

Live timing is already available here, and via LiveRacers (see here). However we are looking to use an alternative, more stable tool for the race which is why there is currently no link in the opening post. More information shall be provided as it becomes available and as developments are made.

Once again, cheers for the raising these issues - it is very much appreciated. :) We shall let you know when a new version of the track is released, and specify the changes that have been made.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Those are some very good questions! ;) I can tell you that when the track is dry the R4 and DRY servers will probably not have the same level of grip. There are several reasons for this:
    • The number of cars that have driven on the track, and the number of laps that have been driven - the more cars, and most importantly the more laps that have been driven on the track the more grip there will be as rubber builds up over time
    • When it rains on the R4 server the rubber that has built up on the track will wash away, and the track will effectively be green when it dries; there is nothing to reduce the rubber build up on the DRY server, so it will continue to build up over time
    • The two servers are setup slightly differently - rubber build up on the DRY server is configured to be quicker compared to the R4 server because we expect fewer people to be testing on the DRY server
    If it has not recently rained then I would expect there to be more rubber on the R4 server than the DRY server because I expect more people to be testing on the R4 server; the converse is true if it has rained. If more people are testing on the DRY server then this will always have more grip than the R4 server.

However the rate at which rubber builds up on the DRY server is "artificial", and it has been increased to try and reduce the "disparity" between the rubber levels on the two servers, but in all honesty this is futile (especially if it rains on the R4 server) because a number of other factors also affect the amount of grip.

Finally, as far as I am aware based on everything that I have read about rFactor 2, track temperature does not directly affect grip levels. However it does have an impact on the heating of tyres, so it will ultimately have an indirect effect on lap times.

I hope this makes sense, and apologies if I have waffled too much! :whistling:

• Love Love x 1
  9. Andrew Ford

Andrew Ford
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,713
    @Daiman Patel your answers were as I kind of expected (but wasn't sure). You didn't waffle though and I'm really grateful for your answers!

I am going to write some assumptions here I've made so perhaps you could point out any/all which are incorrect and answer the highlighted?

1) all practise server tracks reset to green at the beginning of a session.
    2) maximum track rubber is reached after X number of completed laps
    Q. Based on this assumption, how many laps/how much time would it take to reach maximum rubber with 1 car on: a) Rd 4 server with NO rain b) Dry server?
    3)
    If 2 cars are on server and complete the same number of laps, progress laps/time towards maximum track rubber will be halved (and 3 cars, it will be divided by 3?)
    5) Barring rain, both servers will provide more grip during the qualifying sessions

I suppose the bottom line is, if it's not raining, I would like to work out which server is likely to provide the optimum lap time for me. This will possibly depend on the artificial rate of rubbering on dry server versus the increased rate of rubbering from multiple cars on the R4 server?

Also, I'm trying to get a very rough idea of how long it takes on either server to reach maximum rubber e.g. If I remember correctly, my best laptime was set on the dry server after about 1 hour (32 laps registered but about 20 complete laps and the rest quitting to pits at a guess). No one else was helping me rubber the track lol

Naturally, I'm also trying to gauge where I am at in relation to the opposition who set their times on the R4 server with more people on.

Cheers.
    p.s. no hurry for answers as I'm away visiting family.
    Andrew

10. Michael Nelson

Michael Nelson
    #118 RMI Motorsport (RDLMS) Premium

Ratings:
    +431
    I'm not entirely sure, but doesn't restarting the weekend reset the server grip too?

11. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    IMPORTANT!

Due to staff members and other RDLMS personnel (including the track development team) being busy and away during the summer holiday period there will be a slight delay to the release of the track update. All resources for Round 4 were initially intended to be released this weekend, but due to the circumstances the final version of the track will now not be made available until the end of next week (19th August) at the latest; hopefully we shall be able to release it sooner, potentially by the middle of next week, but there will still be plenty of time for you to download the updates and test prior to the event on Saturday 26th August. More information shall be provided as it becomes available.

The updated version - v4.0 - of the custom car / skin pack will still be created and released this weekend, but shall be delayed until Sunday. For this reason the skin submission (and notification) deadline has now been extended by 24 hours, to 23:59 GMT on Saturday 12th August.

I would therefore like to take this opportunity to remind teams to submit new and updated livery files, if they have not done so already, for Round 4. All and any new entrants must submit skin files, else they risk not being able to participate in the race, and these must include an albedo map to ensure compatibility with DX11 (even if you are still running the game using DX9). If you choose to revise your livery design then we would also like to ask that you ensure an albedo map has been applied. For more information about albedo maps please see this link - https://www.studio-397.com/guidelines-for-artists/ - which provides instructions on how to correct skin files under the section titled "How to quickly update car skins / color maps". If there are any problems with the albedo map (i.e. if it is missing, or has not been correctly applied) you shall be asked to make appropriate amendments and will need to resubmit your skin files for Round 4. All files that have been sent already will be processed and added to the pack this weekend.

In addition to this I would like to reiterate that if you submitted a special livery for the 24 Hours of Le Mans event and want to revert to an original / previous livery then you must inform (and preferably send your original skin files to) @Daiman Patel, else the files submitted for Round 3 will continue to be used for your car. Once again, the submission deadline for skin files and the notification deadline for reverting skin files is at 23:59 GMT on Saturday 12th August.

We apologise for any inconvenience that has been or will be caused by the delay, and will do our utmost to ensure that everything is sorted as quickly as possible in preparation for the upcoming event.

Finally, I have two more reminders for you all:
    1. Please use your real first and last names when testing and training on the RDLMS server, and also on TeamSpeak
    2. Please submit changes to your team line-up in the Sign Up thread (notifying us of driver removals is not necessary, unless they are moving to another team, but we must be made aware of any additions to your driver line-up)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    That's good to hear, and not a problem - I'm glad to have helped! :)

Several of your questions and assumptions are highly technical and incredibly in-depth; after some research I unfortunately do not know the answer to some, and I would not even know where to start looking for answers within rFactor 2 itself. Nevertheless I shall try my best to answer what I can.

No, the rubber on the track is not lost at the beginning of a session; the servers are configured to always load from the AutoSave.rrbin file, so the track surface conditions will be in the last known / saved state when a session is restarted.

I believe this would be the case, but I could not say after how much laps the maximum amount of track rubber would be reached - I'm not sure where to look for such information, or if it is even possible to determine this without conducting an experiment. Also I'm not sure if this saturation point may be dependant on weather conditions, and if it is different for each track.

Again I believe so, but I'm not sure if all cars and tyres lay down rubber at a constant rate or at their own rate (if it is the latter then the corresponding value may potentially be defined in one of the many files that make up an individual vehicle in the game). Also I do not know if the track - temperature, surface type, etc. - has any bearing on the rate at which rubber builds up on its surface. As I have previously mentioned there is a configurable parameter that allows the rate of build up to be adjusted, but I do not know how exactly the rubber builds up.

As the servers always load the track conditions from the AutoSave.rrbin file there will be a continuous build up of rubber, unless of course it rains. So the amount of grip at the beginning of a qualifying session will be the same as that at the end of the practice session.

This will be rather difficult to work out because, as you have said, it depends on the artificial rate at which rubbers builds up in addition to a number of other factors including the weather and the number of laps that have previously been driven on the track (since it last rained on R4, and since the server was started on DRY).

I hope this has answered most of your questions. For those that I have not been able to provide an actual response my suggestion would be to ask these questions in the Studio 397 forums where you may receive some better replies and information from more knowledgeable players (and maybe also the developers).

• Love Love x 1
  13. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Nope, the servers are configured to load the AutoSave.rrbin file which stores information about track conditions and the build up of rubber. If the server was configured to use a preset (if there is one available) or to set the track to green then the grip would "reset" according to the chosen option when the weekend is restarted. However, by selecting the AutoSave.rrbin file the continuous build up of rubber is saved and loaded for each session, for the specific layout of the track that is being used (even after a server has been stopped and restarted).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,210
    This is a customer service announcement for mr @Daiman Patel

Check your emails matey :):thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
  15. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    Sorry mate, it has been a crazy day at the office... :unsure: I'm just about to respond! :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

Ratings:
    +3,155
    Never saw this, but @Michael Nelson , this is (I would believe) also the reason why @Jonatan Åcerclinth seems to save the realroad after each time we have done testing on the server. This way he will get the same rubbering when he does his offline setup-stuff, as we had on the server the last time we tested.

If that made sense :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    IMPORTANT!

There will be a brief period of downtime for the RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS R4 and RACEDEPARTMENT.COM LMS DRY servers later this afternoon (we expect this shall be some time between 10:00 and 12:00 GMT) as we conduct maintenance in preparation for Round 4. This should take no longer than 30 minutes. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  18. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    SpeedyMite Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +787
    cheers Daiman, will the previous real road be applied or will the track be green when it comes back up?

19. Daiman Patel

Daiman Patel
    Damimam Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,103
    The RealRoad for the current version of the track should be reloaded, unless there are any incompatibilities with the updated component. I'm hoping that it will be retained, but if not then I apologise; at least there is plenty of time for the rubber to be built up again if necessary.

20. Shawn Jacobs

Shawn Jacobs
    SpeedyMite Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +787
    :thumbsup: no worries mate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.