RDHGP S8 - Round 7 - 100km - Gellerasen - Tue 24th Jan 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix Season 8 Round 7
Welcome back to Round 7 of the RDHGP S8. As discussed already elsewhere, this will be a curtailed briefing because of the replacement nature of the track.

We go 1,050 miles North from Aubusson to Gelleråsen in Sweden, and the Karlskoga Motorstadion. (download)

s8r7.jpg

Circuit Notes
As Gelleråsen is short, its decent length S/F straight is the longest part of the track, and where top speed is achieved, so key your gearings to here. Also notable is that there are no braking distance markers, so you will need to get your own reliable points.

After the pits exit, you encounter a heavy braking zone for T1R – Trösen. It has a flat approach whilw fairly tight, it is visibly open, with some traction aiding positive camber. There is an uphill exit that crests just where you want to be looking for when you stand on the accelerator to maximise the exit.

You will be on the throttle out of Trösen, and T2R would not pose any problem to you under normal circumstances as it is a gentle curve. Here at Gelleråsen however, it is not a normal circumstance. As you ease the nose in at the entry, the apex of T2R almost becomes the braking point for the next turn, which can catch you out if you are in a scrap.

T3R – Esset is medium tight - enter it from a wide line on a feathered throttle, followed by a quick squirt of right foot, then a dab of brake and another feathered throttle for T4L. This is a positively cambered turn, letting you get hard on gas on the exit, which is important as the second longest straight on the track follows it.

You see T5R approaching, marked by the big green car removal tractor, and sweep through here flat out, exiting into the dip, but you still need to be aware of where you are as you still get the line right for the immediately following T6R – Ejes Kurva.

Ejes Kurva is a tight, greater than 180° turn, approached by early braking on the uphill portion of the preceding dip. You can see the older portions of the track departing straight ahead, and rejoining about 2/3 of the way through the corner. Ejes exits into a dip and T7L, which you take as a flat out curve rather than a turn.

The apex of T7L is at the bottom of the dip, so you enter on full throttle going downhill, and exit uphill. Once you clear the crest and are back on the flat again, you see T8L - Hårnålen approaching.

Brake hard going into Hårnålen, it is a tight turn, and while it has some decent positive camber, there are some nasty tyres on the outside waiting to mangle whatever part of your vehicle you put in their vicinity. Once you’ve safely negotiated the entry and the hazards, stamp aggressively on the loud pedal as a good exit is needed for the following straight.

T9L is another curve, take it as clean as possible as it again is vital for setting up the next turn, and forgetting that will get you into trouble.

T10R is again marked by a tractor, this will require a dab of brakes and a feathered throttle through here. You must be in control here to get a good line for the subsequent braking zone for the last corner.

T11R – Depå-kurven – is a double, possibly even treble, apex curve that leads onto the S/F straight. Brake earlier rather than later on the way in, take an out->in->out profile, and get hard on the gas after the apex, sweeping across the yellow pit indicator line and flat out across the S/F line to start another lap at Gelleråsen.

http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=9460

geller.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting. The worst offenders from previous seasons have not signed up, so I hope that this will be a non-issue this season.

Racing Room must be given to all drivers – and this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

T1R – Trosen - Especially on Lap 1. There will be a lot of cars in very close proximity, so be aware of your surroundings. You can’t just throw your car at the racing line if you find yourself in trouble, and hope someone who is already there is expecting it. There is enough time for cars to get up to decent speeds, even from the start, and the cold tyres and brakes make this especially tricky. I expect people to be respectful of others races.

T6R – Ejes Kurva. This turn is approached under heavy braking after the short straight, with some violent movement at the initial turn in, so you will need to be aware of the differences in braking distances. If you go off track here, because of late braking, use the old track to stabilise the car for re-entry into the track. Cars here are turning under a lot of lock so peripheral vision will be even less than normal. Remember that SAFE rejoins are a Requirement.

All points on the track – General Items
Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
After Round 6 there were no reported incidents.

Krzyzstof Babij receives a no-show infraction Le Mas Du Clos

As last season, 2 consecutive no-shows will mean removal from the League.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

For those who have done any driving against the AI, you will know this turn. See the separate section later on in the

Looks like case of potentiometer spiking, although I thought it's more common to happen to foot pedals; can be hard to cure. I heard some people spray contact-spray into their pots, or try blowing compressed air into some miniature hole to remove dust. But results may vary, and finding a replacement pot may not be easy as IIRC these are miniature pots.. :(

This is just unfair. Same situation as at Le Mas Du Clos - Pole, Lead and ..no, no crash, this time - "connection lost". No internet connection for 5 minutes (this happens very very rarely). Very strange championship for me - first pole, first win, first time Championship contender but + first DNF, first connection lost, overall standings goes to abyss. What next? Maybe first no-show? ATM I have no more strengths and desire to continue this negative progression. Sorry for my tone mates. Really disappointing.

My race just couldnt go anyhow worser. I made a good start, had nice battle with a lot of drivers trough next couple of laps, after I went off the road for a while - the whole wagon passed me, but I caught them in a minute. Some accidents ahead made me good position again, not worser than 7th. As I predicted, tyres were totally wore off after 25 laps and I couldnt compete against anyone, but settled on that mentioned 7th place, with nobody threating me. I was doing stable laps, around 1:20.8. But then, disaster happened. The car started to hiccough and ran out of fuel in last turn. I somehow managed to get in the pits, were the engine switched off. I put neutral and thanks to downhill I made it to the pits. I needed 5 extra laps to catch Senad and Tim (I guess?), but it was in the end of the race, so no chance to improve my final 14th position (I got even lapped when pitting). At least I got new set of tyres and made the fastest lap.

Congratulations to podium, I hope I can still win overall in the Lancia company. If nothing goes wrong any further (but I think I took all the unluck tonight)

See you in two weeks :)

One of my best races with only one off ..on the last lap chasing Roland... but luckly ( for me) I never lost position. Started the race in 10th place but I quickly fell to 13th working through the race beginnings. Dropped to 14th behind Hans and Magnus but the majority of the field was still close in a long line. I had several good laps trying to get by Hans but he defended wisely and we duelled it out cleanly. Eventually he had an off approaching T1 and now I was chasing Magnus who was trying to close in on Predrag. We passed Tim who was having a rough time in the sand. After about two laps of playing chase Magnus ( who had a good pace going ) went wide at T1 and now I was behind Predrag who lost it somewhat at Kurva and I slipped by before exiting Hamalen. Several laps of only myself to deal with followed. XD told me Roland was ahead but never indicated his distance by time so never knew how far down the road he was. Eventually I caught sight of him and I was surprised that I was slowly closing the gap... somewhat. I tried to catch Roland for over half of the race but he never made a major mistake. I could close from time to time but he would stretch it out again. Finally on the last lap I pushed too hard and got off line coming into Esset and did a long slow spin on the grass. Finish the race in 8th.
Grats to podiums, thanks to Stu for the excellent course selection, and cheers to all competitors.

Not much to say really. Lack of practice killed me again. Apologies to Predrag, as you were trying to pass me, I had no idea where you were in relation to me, so I'm sorry if I cut you off. Bigger apologies to Ross, the Fulvia was faster than I thought on the straight when you were lapping me.
Time to practice Imola

Well it was a tricky one for me, not an easy track to drive with 1.5 hands (right thumb is still splinted) but the TVR could be very quick here especialy when using the engine torque to swing the arse round going into some corners but it plays hell with the engine so most of the race it was auto clutch unless a wee bit more speed was needed.

In qual it was weird as i switched gearing at the last minute (after watching Dmytro’s laps and his gearing) so i entered qual with no lap time in that gearing, but i soon got the hang of it and ended up hitting a pb which gave me 4th.

Missed the start slightly but np as i soon out dragged Jay to T1, with Ross coming across to cover me i braked nice and early and went for the power through instead but this let Thommo sneek along the outside but when he tried to get to the apex he found me there so it slowed him enough for me to keep 3rd. After that i had two Lotus’s tailing me which i knew from practice (not accounting for screwups) I could handle np, the tvr and lotus were pretty even for most of the track with little advantages for each in places, but the one big advantage for the Lotus was the last 2 bends so as long as i kept my car where they wanted to be it was np to keep them behind as once on the straight they could not keep up.

The Abarth is a different kettle of fish, it has the speed to pass both the Lotus and TVR on the straight and it was not long before i had Thommo back looking for a way past and he soon made it but keeping him under pressure he made a mistake and ran too deep on a left hander letting me through on the inside and we had a good battle for a while until i screwed it up when his slow speed at a corner caught me out and i ended up tapping him. I tried to wait but i soon saw i was causing drivers to slow so after i let a few Lotus’s through i got going again. Got past Nils as he outbraked himself, Bob i could catch np but passing was another matter as by the time i got close to him i had no tyres left and he dominated that last couple of corners lap after lap.

Thommo i see by the timing had got himself up to 5th so i sat waiting on him at the line to cede 4th back to him but he then runds into me pushing me across the line for 4th and costing him 5th (guess it was just not his night)

This is my last drive for this season as i am away on holiday for the last race but as usualy it has been a pleasure driving with you guys, i do not drive at RD a lot now but the RDGTL league is one to keep coming back for thnx all for making it a great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%