RDHGP S6 - Round 8 - Spa Francorchamps - 200km - 26th Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
2 manky hookers and a racist dwarf? I'm off home.

Welcome to Round 8 - the finale - of the RDHGP season 6.

As seems to be the custom with these things, I can’t believe we’re at the last round already, it fels just a couple of weeks ago that Carlos & I were pulling the entries together and assigning liveries. Please remember that this race breaks with format and schedule so we have a 200km event, run on a Saturday.

Although I’ve mentioned the reason before, I’ll state it again – this is a double length race, so to prevent some timezones from running very late into a Friday morning when people have to get up for work the next day, it’s moved to a Saturday.

As it is a 200km event, a pitstop will almost certainly be required. It’s a default track, so there will be no occurrence of the (admittedly fairly rare) “pitcrew ignoring you” bug. Maybe some of the cars in the League can do a full race length on a single tank, but even if they could, I personally wouldn’t fancy trying to navigate Spa on 20+ lap old tyres.

Unlike the Club enduros we occasinally run, the fuel & tyres will run at normal (1x) usage and wear rates.

Please go here for a GTL pitstop guide, written by our own Warren Dawes.

This is more of an endurance style event, so please be prepared for the possibility that it might not be nose to nose racing for the approx 90 minutes. The very best of luck to all competitors.

We go over 5,750 miles from Okayama, to a curiously familiar sort of First for the RDHGP - the first track that we're visiting for the second time since I've been running RDHGP - and Sap-Francorchamps in Belgium.

spa.jpg

Circuit Notes

Circuit Spa-Francorchamps is one of the most famous tracks in motor racing history. Situated between the towns of Francorchamps, Stevlot & Malmedy, it originally used public roads, hence some of the corner names. In 1979 it was brutally cut from its previous 14km layout, losing some of the most famous (and most dangerous) corners. Les Combes was a left hander back then, rather than a right hander, leading out to the high speed sections past the village of Burnenville, through the dramatic downhill twisting drop away of Malmedy (the current corner called Malmedy is so called because it is closest to the town of Malmedy, but has no relation to its fearsome forebear), downhill to the infamous Masta Kink, where Jackie Stewart once found himself upside down in a farmhouse cellar with petrol pouring over him.

Spa also houses the famous Eau Rouge corner, a downhill/uphill, right/left/right complex where bravery can be rewarded with either a great lap time, or an intimate knowledge of the barriers.

The track cut did not affect one of the more idiosyncratic features of Spa, in that the Ardennes climate can often mean one end of the track is dry, while the other is experiencing rain.

Among its many prestigious events, it hold the Historic Touring Car Spa 6 hour race. This is our homage to that great event.

We are running the 2005/06 layout of the track, hence the slightly dated trackmap below.

A lap of Spa, on the version we are running, starts on the downhill S/F straight with (depending on size of field) the back markers starting pressed up against the exit of the final corner. Holding the cars on the brakes to stop a rolling start, and then getting onto the accelerator for the actual start will require some nifty footwork if the clutch pedal is used. Roaring away from grid, we immediately approach one of the most famous and fearsome corner complexes in racing - T1aL + T1bR Eau Rouge - followed by T2L - Raidillon. Eau Rouge sends you down and left into a dip, then sharply up and right, fully compressing the suspension, and then the Raidillon appears after the crest of Eau Rouge, needing some grip to negotiate it at full speed. The Raidillon has a section of track on the outer edge that looks like tarmac, behind which you can see the pit exit. That stretch of grey between the track and the pit exit is deceiving, being desperately slippery. You will not be able to just keep your foot in it and drive on out.

Full speed is needed too, as the Raidillon opens onto one of the reminders of Spa's previous, high speed 14km incarnation - the long Kemmel straight which contains T3R an unnamed kink so shallow no-one will really have to do anything but floor the power through it, and right up to top speed before some heavy braking is required for T4aR + T4bL - Les Combes.

Les Combes is a fairly shallow and widely spaced chicane, but taking liberties with it can upset the cars over the kerbs. With high speeds, late braking points, a long race and close walls, caution is probably the wisest approach to this corner.

Out of Les Combes, we hit T5R - Malmedy, a fairly standard downhill 90° right hander, nowhere near as fearsome as it's predecessor on the old layout. From there, it's a short downhill squirt into T6R Rivage, a fairly wide-radiused 180° hairpin that starts with +ve camber and exits on -ve camber. Patience is required here, over eagerness on the throttle will cause some adverse reaction here.

A successful exit from Rivage leads into T6L, an inviting corner that allows you to attack it positively, and onto a decent sized downhill section before one of the most technically demanding corners on Spa - T7aL + T7bL - Pouhon. Pouhon is a quick complex, but the penalty for overcooking it through the first part is a trip to the waiting sandpit. As with so many corners at Spa, a good exit is required from T7bL as it opens onto a decent length straight, under the gantry before the heavy braking area for T8aR + T8bL - Fagnes.

Another couple of standard 90° corners, like Les Combes they are too widely spaced to be considered a true chicane, and too sharp to be Esses. They are followed closely by very important corners with regard to laptimes, T9aL + T9bL - Stavelot.

Like Eau Rouge & The Raidillon, there is a long stretch of full acceleration following Stavelot, but unlike those earlier corners, the entry speed is far lower, so a clean but aggressive exit is everything out of T9bL.

Exiting Stavelot, it's a long blast uphill - the uphill component making it harder to reach top speed than on Kemmel - you go through a gentle kink that's treated as just a straight, before the very tricky T10L - Blanchimont. Some drivers will drop a gear from top for Blanchimont, some will go with a dab of brakes and a feather, but either way, Blanchimont definitely demands some respect.

It has a section of track on the outer edge that is made of the same stuff as outside the Raidillon, very low grip but tarmac looking surface.

Out of Blanchimont, and it's a braking contest into T11La + T11bR - The bus stop chicane. The pit entrance is here as well, and as this is a double length race, it will be generating some traffic.

Out of the Bus Stop, T12L is shallow, taken at full acceleration towards the pit wall, bearing off to the left and up to some high
speeds before standing on the anchors for the last corner on the lap - T13R - La Source. The tightest corner on the circuit, it's a negatively cambered hairpin, where running wide at entry will only send you further into the outside walls. Stabilising the squirming car out of La Source, it a blast downhill across the S/F line to start another lap of Spa.

Spa_2004.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

T1aL + T1bR – Eau Rouge, T2L - Raidillon. Crowthorne - This corner, especially on the first lap, will be tricky due to the heavy braking zone, cold tyres, vehicle proximity and high speeds. As always, be aware in Lap 1 of people as you turn in here, it will be slower than on susbsequent laps and very, very crowded. The different car types will also have very different cornering strategies – be aware of people around you. Even after the crowded first lap, that slippery overrun on the outside of The Raidillon will cause problems for anyone getting too uppity.

In addition, the pit exit opens onto the Raidillon, so observe the pit exit lines. People coming out of the pits - as long as they don't merge over the exit line - are under no obligation to delay their exit if someone is approaching.

T4aR + T4bL - Les Combes. This is the scene of numerous "outbraking myself" incidents. If you hit the grass, regain control before regaining the racing surface - DO NOT try and keep your foot in it across the grass to save time.

T7aL + T7bL - Pouhon. This is historically a big site for going off, so I'll warn you all about safe re-entries to the racing surface from the sandpit.

T10L - Blanchimont. The high speed nature of Blanchimont, combined with the slippery overrun and tapering wall can mean some pretty hefty impacts here - possibly throwing stricken cars into the path of oncomers.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
You may put your lights on if you are on a timed Qualifying lap to inform people in front of you. If they themselves are on a timed lap, they are not under any obligation to move for you.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Another reminder - this is a double length, 200km race. As a result:-
  • This race is being run on Saturday 26th - NOT a Thursday
  • Race position points are DOUBLE - see the updated chart below.
  • Pitstops will almost certainly be required by all drivers - If you do not practice your pitstops, only you can be held responsible for any failure or mistake. READ THE GUIDE LINKED ABOVE.
Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There are no incident reports arising from Round 7.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries

You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System

Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 200km events :

P1 - 50 pts
P2 - 44
P3 - 40
P4 - 36
P5 - 32
P6 - 30
P7 - 28
P8 - 26
P9 - 24
P10 - 22
P11 - 20
P12 - 18
P13 - 16
P14 - 14
P15 - 12
P16 - 10
P17 - 8
P18 - 6
P19 - 4
P20 - 2

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

when will the sever be up? i finally have free time:) and will there for sure.
oh btw go go go gary it's time for you to grab the crown:)

Hay Amir m8 thanks for good wishes,if only it was any other track than Spa i would have let the team get those T-shirts printed up,hoping to keep things calm really for this one.
Will be good to have you back on track for the finale' as current reigning champ,and i will probably be using another very small modify version of the setup you gave me to start off this campaign,ive used it every round sometimes with no tweaks from its Mosport origins.

And you said we don't read your briefings...shame on you boss :tongue:

Great briefing as always:good:

Glad to hear you might be able to make it out Jack, I missed last season's finale and I couldn't get over it for days.

I've already been practicing a bit, and I must say the little 914 is pure joy on Spa, a match made in heaven. It might not be the fastest car on the field, but it's a pleasure to drive.

Here it is Gary

8. Sat 26/02/11 - Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps

Session Info

(British Summertime / Daylight savings ends on October 31st. Therefore the testing event and the first league race will begin at 19:00 GMT, not 20:00 GMT.)
Practice: 20.00 GMT - 40 Minutes
Qualifying: 20.40 GMT – 20 Minutes - unrestricted lap count
Race: 21.00 GMT – 100km (200km season finale)

I won't do tonight's finale as I still got a flu. Although I already suffered yesterday I allocated yesterday as I used to have such just one day but it has become worse today.
Wish you all an enjoyable season's ending and lots of clean company throughout the distance

I won't do tonight's finale as I still got a flu. Although I already suffered yesterday I allocated yesterday as I used to have such just one day but it has become worse today.
Wish you all an enjoyable season's ending and lots of clean company throughout the distance

It's a shame, Ralf. Would like to see all participants at the last stage.:frown: I hope that we will meet in the next season.:wink:

Sorry for the mess I caused but hit with serious lag as cars closed in on the first chicane. All of a sudden cars at some distance appeared very close and I smashed into people. Exited as quickly as I could and very very disappointed and upset. My last race for a while I believe.

that was a bad exit of the series.
Because i was not in my normal place for racing, but i used the my G27 at other location.The keyboard was on
my left side and i grap this going into pits. I mangen then to hit ESC key with my left under-arm.
End of race.
Was only going to fill 16 liters of fuel, but that must be same other time

Thanks to Stu and Diaz and Racedepartment for making this a good raceseries.

EB

Never did well on Spa, way off pace, finished second to last. Nothing that interesting happened, mostly hot lapping alone.

Didn't have to pit for fuel, but went wide a couple of times -> 2 stop and go's in the end :frown:

Congrats Andreas and Gary :trophy:

Thanks to Stuart for all the effort, Carlos as well, glad to have been part of another brilliant season :thanks:
I'm also glad that this one wasn't as embarrassing as my previous efforts :D

Sorry to hear that Erling.

Jack, don't let some lag issues make you quit racing with us for a while m8, lagging happens to all of us at some point, it comes with the territory.

About tonight...I just wanted to complete the race without any spins/crashes and without having to pit. I wasn't really worried about where that would land me on the final standings so long as I met those goals. I met the pitting part, but the spinning one I sorta didn't meet (no worries Neil, wasn't really your fault, I was slowing down very early for the turns and you didn't expect it).

Congrats to Lenno for the championship:trophy: and to Andreas for winning the race.

Major thanks to Thommo for all the time he spends making this one of the finest leagues to take part in.

Thanks to all of you that work hard to show up to most of the races, without you guys none of this would be possible. It's a bit of a shame there aren't more dedicated individuals out there like yourselves. But I also understand that real life takes precedence over simracing and not all of us could make it out even if we wanted to.

My best finish in a league race mainly due to not pitting, even finished with 20L spare.

Considering I never tested the cars first and only picked the capri because I always wanted one it was a great car to drive.

Fantastic season!!!!

Congratulations to the podium and to Gary for the Championship, great racing matey.

Thanks for all the effort Stu, for all the previous testing to make it so close and everyone for the fairest racing I have ever had the pleasure to do in a league...Hats off to you all.

well.. gratz Andreas for win the race and gratz to Gary to win championship...!! :D
about the race, i had one stop&go because forget pit limiter after pit stop... so stupid... say it before in practice to Andreas and Ryan on TS to not forget... i made my self the mistake... :s
was in really good pace but with the stop&go + a spin in Blanchimont, finish P10 :)
thx to all for racing!!!!
thx Stuart and Carlos for organisation also to RD! ;)
cu in S7 i think :D

In qualy surprised myself with first run in 44.9, never expected. thought i could run faster with the better grip level in next laps but it won´t work all together. Time was running and Greg´s 44.1 - incredible, so very happy with P2 :D.

I was not trying it before but was guessing a no stopper could work with short shifting and not shifting too often. Start was great, jumped on P1. But on straight already Ryan pass and later also Greg who had a great pace. Already watched to XD and with 2.74 average it looked possible. That to the end so much did no stop surprised me a bit, only not from Gary :redface: i was planning him also on this strategy cause of the same car. Due this i watched more the gap to Gary and after Greg´s and Ryan´s incident i could take the lead. Shame that Greg had this stop & go, also Ryan had a further mistake so it had been interesting how close it would to the end.
My gap to Gary stayed at about 16 sec but to the end i got more and more understeer (****ing car :redface:) and lost 4-5 sec per lap to my best time. Also i feared a third warning, had already 2 after 9 laps. Finally saved 6 sec to Gary. I´m very happy to win in Spa, beside Kyalami the best tracks of the season in my opinon.

Btw, anybody saved the replay ? Stayed too long and my is gone, maybe i could make a vid.

Finally big congrats to Gary for winning the title, very consistent driving on all tracks. Not sure what could happen but my "Black Out" at Birubi cost me the chances. Anyhow Gary solved trouble better, for example Laguna Seca, so very deserved champion
41.gif

:thanks: to all for the great season and of course big Thx to Stuart and the league organication for putting everything together as well as the nice introduction before every races.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%