RDHGP S6 - Round 4 - Laguna Seca - 100km - 13th Jan 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
The most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place:RDHGP Round 4

Happy New Year drivers, and welcome back to Round 4 of RDHGP S6. This is the rescheduled fixture from earlier in the season started by the technical gremlins at Mosport.

Rouen is always a class act whenever we visit there, and this trip was no different. If I’m honest, I was expecting quite a few incident reports, but in the end, people followed the procedure, cooled off and re-reviewed, and we ended up with no Incident reports arising from Round 3 and so we can approach the extended second half of the season from a nice, clean starting point.

As always, we tend to change track type from previous event to present (in fact it’s no coincidence, we plan to keep you on your toes from race to race), and this time we go from the fast, lush and verdant boulevards of Northern France to a more technical, arid and hostile, but no less exalted, location.

Travelling over 5,500 miles almost due West, we end up on Highway 68 between Monterey and Salinas, California and the historic (which is, after all, why we are all here) Laguna Seca Raceway.
lagu.jpg

Circuit Notes

Located about 10 miles East of Monterey, and 90 miles south of San Francisco (go Giants), Laguna Seca was constructed in 1957, the original layout being in place from the first event in 1958 until 1988 when the infield section of turns 2 to 5 was added, extending the track from 3km to 3.6km – this was a failed attempt to lure Formula 1 to Laguna Seca. The circuit was changed again – albeit less dramatically – in 1995 adding another 50m and sharpening the final turn into much tighter radius, and allowing the pit entry to be more safely located before this turn. Like almost all of our League tracks, there is a large vertical component to Laguna Seca, namely a 91m/300 foot altitude change from the lowest point to the highest on the circuit.

Laguna Seca should really need no introduction to anyone with any interest in motor racing, either real or simulation. It has held / continues to hold many of America’s most prestigious motor racing events: Champ Car / American Le Mans / Superbikes / MotoGP / Rolex Sports Cars / A1GP.

It also plays host to an event that must be close to the hearts of any GT Legends driver – the Monterey Historics, whose attendance often eclipses the professional events listed above. It is one of the top 3 World Historics gatherings alongside Goodwood & Lime Rock.

A branch of the Skip Barber Racing School is also now in place at Laguna Seca.

Even though it hasn’t been mentioned until now, we are all aware of the 800lb gorilla in the room, the thing that everyone knows about, and is wary of, when Laguna Seca gets mentioned – and that is Turns 7R, 8L & 8aR – The Corkscrew. It will probably come as no surprise to any of you to hear that this section will get some extensive coverage lower down this briefing.

This is actually the shortest track we will visit this season, but because of the layout, the laptimes are similar to some of the longer tracks, meaning this could be one of the longer races in time duration. It’s also the first anti-clockwise circuit we’ve driven this season.

Almost immediately after we leave the (downhill facing) grid, timing bridge and pitlane exit, we approach T1L, a high speed, downhill-crested, dogleg left, which is simple enough to negotiate on it’s own, but acts as a nasty “unsettler”, upping the tariff of difficulty for the rapidly approaching next corner, making the actual braking zone and turn in point blind until you clear T1L.

The approach for T2L, the Andretti Hairpin (depending on your navigation of T1L, of course) requires some serious retardation from your brakes, and good grip as there is no positive camber to help you round its double apex. Patience is required here - too early on the loud button and you will face a struggle to keep the rear in check.

A short blast and then hard on the anchors for T3R, another camber-free turn, tighter than it looks, with a bumpy kerb on the inside edge to unsettle people staying tight, and a waiting sandpit on the outside to ensnare drivers going in too hot.

Hard on the accelerator out of T3R, we come to T4R, a shallower corner, again with no real camber to help you get round, but this is a great corner to get right, as it opens out onto a good length straight, diving under another bridge and down to the lowest point of the track T5L.

T5L is similar the T4R – not overly tight, but it needs a measure of aggression, to keep the speed up, as it feeds onto a long - and all uphill – straight. Any momentum lost will be difficult to claw back going up that hill.

The scenery changes with the left hand side of the track suddenly rearing up to form a cliff on the inside. We dive under another bridge, over a crest that hides the braking markers, and (again) try to take as much speed through T6L as possible as it opens on to the uphill Rahal Straight. The inside of T6L is mostly blind because of that cliff, and the outside has a nasty, away sloping sandpit for those who don’t respect it.

Blasting up Rahal, another bridge approaches, standing atop a blind crest, and we are approaching the defining moment of every Laguna Seca lap – the Corkscrew. Immediately over that blind crest, probably already on the anchors, we encounter a little kink right, T7R, which is another testing “unsettler”, and means that you can’t just set up for the latter Corkscrew sections from halfway down Rahal, you have to give T7R a real measure of respect.

After negotiating T7R, you will be hard on the brakes, and you’ll suddenly see the track totally disappear on the left hand side, and a wall rapidly approaching you straight ahead. This is T8L the huge, precipitously downhill first part of the corkscrew. Tuck the nose in hard, before throwing your car off the cliff, and immediately turning right for T8aR, accelerating as hard as you dare through the Corkscrew exit.

A downhill blast follows into the tightening T9L – Rainey. Some drivers will try and drift round here, but there is, as always on this arid landscape, a big sandpit waiting on the outside for those who are over eager.

Again flatout and downhill for the heavily positive camber of T10R, where you are able to carry more speed than the corner initially promises, and out onto the last straight, blasting slightly uphill past the pit entry, and then hard, hard on the brakes for the last corner – T11L. Very tight and with kerbs, walls and sand waiting for the driver who does not treat it respectfully enough, shooting out onto the S/F straight after a good T11L is a fitting end to a lap at Laguna Seca.

500px-Laguna_Seca.svg.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

Pitlane - you must use the pitlane correctly, exiting the pitlane on the straight before T3R, not cutting across onto the main circuit before T2L.

T2L – Andretti - This corner, especially on the first lap, will be tricky due to the heavy braking zone, cold tyres, vehicle proximity and T1L making the approach blind. Reckless accidents here will be punished heavily if reported. As always, be aware in Lap 1, of people as you turn in here, it will be slower than on susbsequent laps and very, very crowded.

T3R – As mentioned above, this is a slowish, simple-ish corner, but if you go off into the sand, make sure you rejoin safely. If that means coming out of it in last place - so be it. Take your medicine, and don’t ruin someone else’s race.

T6L – Like T3R above, the issue is not the corner itself, but subsequent rejoins after mistakes. Do not rejoin blindly.

T7R, T8L & T8aR – The Corkscrew. This is a dangerous section, and probably not worth describing any more than we all already know it, but at the same time, do not cut the inside of T8aR, and be aware that people may have differing lines to yours depending on vehicle.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
You may put your lights on if you are on a timed Qualifying lap to inform people in front of you. If they themselves are on a timed lap, they are not under any obligation to move for you.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.
The pitlane exit must be used for it's entire length, cutting across onto the main circuit to drive T2 is not allowed.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties

There are no incident reports arising from Round 3.
There are no drivers serving infractions

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Oh Boy, I almost forgot about this one! I joined the dark side (iRacing) in December, so I drove Mazda @ Laguna a lot untill New Year, then I switched to Flight Simulator X week ago, tweaking, tuning, and enjoying some amazing photorealistic addon sceneries every day. :)
In other words, I didn't touched my G25 for two weeks now, and I have huge responsibility today, must practice a lot during the day, I'm afraid that I work now in flight simulator mode. :D

This is starting to really annoy me now - the last 3 races I have been driving along nicely when all of a sudden all the other cars just vanish, Race over. The fact that it happened on Lap 2 tonight only made it more annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas? My Net connection is solid and fast, guess it's the router being crap or something...

Oh well, another DNF for the vette...........hope the race was fun. See you at the next round (breifly...)

This is starting to really annoy me now - the last 3 races I have been driving along nicely when all of a sudden all the other cars just vanish, Race over. The fact that it happened on Lap 2 tonight only made it more annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas? My Net connection is solid and fast, guess it's the router being crap or something...

Oh well, another DNF for the vette...........hope the race was fun. See you at the next round (breifly...)
You were lagging horrendously Tom, at least to me.

Glad that is over, never felt comfy round here in the Capri, did about 15 laps practice due to constantly going off so decided to just take it easy and try and stay on track. This worked well upto lap 27 when I went off but finished a surprising 11th, way better than I thought.

Grats to podium and all finishers.

Thanks for organising and onto another impossible track for me, looks like it's all hard work from here on in.

My best race so far here. Was competitive, and racing people.

Was up in the top 10 after the first lap or two, but then had several stupid spins on braking into T1. Some accidental double downshifts also didn't help...

Eventually ended up around 13th, behind Erling. And that was about 80% of my race :). I was faster into and out of some corners, but he was faster out of the corkscrew, and on the pit straight. Couldn't pass, and even if I could, I didn't really know how.
We were riding together for quite a while. He almost spun on the exit of T5, I think? I was close behind, couldn't brake, and hit him :sorry:
Stuart was 3-4 seconds behind, and when I slowed down, and tried to get off the line, I failed. Apologies. :sorry:

In the end, Erling, Amir and myself were close, Erling went off, and it was Amir and me till the end. That was fun, exchanged places a few times.
At the exit of the last corner, of the last lap, I spun out :woot:
Dubravko passed me, and I reversed across the finish line...

I don't care if the 911 is way better on that track, I thought that was a good'un :tongue:

Though one. That Pantera even makes a consistent guy like me unconsistent.

Q: 7th i believe with a 41.2. Was i think the max i could drive with it.

Start was abit weird. Came decent off the line. But then Andreas and 2 others cars appeared suddenly.
Took it easy in T1. Greg went abit wide could take the inside but left some room. Then he tapped very lighty Gary a corner later. Gary spun to the right but i managed to just nip through. I believe was one of the luckiest ones i believe. 3th now. Some oke laps with Ralf and Andreas infront of me and Bob behind me. After some laps i just had to much speed going in the corner i believe, and spun Pantera style.

Back to 8th or something. Had some good racing with Roman and Dmytro. Managed to get through and followed Carlos. Gary closed in fast after that so when he had a good run is didnt make it to difficult. Followed Carlos some more and increased the gap to Roman and Dmytro. But again spun in a easy corner. Just 2 or 3 kph to fast with the Pantera in a corner and its gone. So Roman, Dmytro and Greg passed me.

Down to 10th... Closed again the gap to Roman, Dmytro. Could get Roman when he ran abit wide. Was now again behind Dmytro. Had some good runs to T1 but that little kink before the corners always keep me from pulling next to him. After some laps we came accross Neil in T1 who rejoined just in front of us. But didnt moved out of the way even when Dmytro was on the bumper after T4 he suddenly released the throttle so Dmytro hit and spun him. Lucky i could avoid that and took P8. After that i took it easy and took to car to 8th. Cant see any 914 anymore. Haha

Oke finish for me with the car. But the stupid mistakes cost me a way better position. So its abit of a bad taste. I heard Birubi is even more tighter. Yippie!. Lol.

Thanks for racing Stu, cya next week.

great fun Senad.
Tried to put a gap.....

And in the end my brain gets tired and mistakes starts to play, never the less. I had fun and thanks for driving good.
My flashing of lights was for you to just move on, but nobel of you to wait. Thats genteman racing ( which i like)

Must add that even been one of the slowest, you all race after my thinking. Clean and nice.
of course stuff happens. But its more driving miles between them, then on a WTCC race at RD.

And grats to RD for making this a memoral race for me.

:)

It really did feel good to be back in my RDHGP 911S and a nice bonus of the car being a proper front contender this round,got lazy in qual and settled for 2nd place and got a nice clean getaway too,my first problem of the night was Andre who starting snaking wildly half out of control so i ended up having to lift a bit or risk putting him around,dropped to 3rd behind Greg arriving at T1 but he went in way deep so i got to tuck in tight and reclaim 2nd,slightly compromised exit let Greg have the run for T2,i nervously went deep there and then disaster struck with a little touch putting me horribly and slo-mo around facing the entire pack......(true horror),went in to rabbit in the headlights mode initially and then attempted to try and get out of there,already took some hits but nothing puncture causing or making the car suffer,recovered eventually 19th? and was ever so close to "rage-esc-quit" but decided to hammer on and see what could be salvaged.
I then went on a little mission that is more or less a blur of memory,i cant remember stringing together so many laps on the very 100% i have to give,it was very enjoyable stuff all along the way,little bit of confusions with Hutch for 3rd when i thought for some daft reason i was getting a "gimme" from him,but then remembered this was for 3rd place and Bob sure as hell dont owe me anything,so i distracted him enough to get the pass done a couple laps later on,saw the gap to 2nd place was 12secs and had some thoughts of backing it off and taking a safe 3rd place to the bank,if someone told me just after i recovered i would end up getting 3rd place i would have called them mental and been pleased with that heaps,but ofcourse i decided to keep pushing even harder,big grin watching the gap plummet every lap until i got both leaders well in sight :D,got close enough to read the stickers on Ralfs bimmer coming out the final turn with Andre just safe enough ahead........i would have paid £100 cash tonight through paypal for 1 more lap!! >:p.
Greg please forget it m8,weve raced together enough now to know errors.
Big thanks to everyone i ever raced near to on my slightly manic mental person mission to recovery,sure some hard little battles along the way,but fair and clean each time...(i hope?).
Congrats Andre and again Ralf with another fine BMW performance,me never been so pleased with a 3rd place before,a bit sad to lose the top spot of the standings,but what a prospect for the run to the finish!? :).

Huge Thanks Stu/Carlos & RD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back