RDHGP S5 - Round 6 - Silverstone 88 layout - 8th July 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Welcome back to Round 6 of the RD Historic Grand Prix, Season 5
The heart of the season now lies behind us, along with arguably the most balanced tracks on our schedule. I hope you agree with me when I say that the last 3 events produced some classic RDHGP racing, the layouts and profiles of the 3 circuits giving most of the cars in the League a shot at some close racing.

One more thing to mention is that there is to be no post race chat until the last running driver has crossed the line for the final time.

We depart the North American continent, and head north-east over 4,250 miles across the Atlantic Ocean, back into Europe and a famous, flowing track that certainly favours the powerful over the nimble, especially in the configuration we will be driving.

Welcome to Silverstone.

silverstone.jpg

Circuit Notes
Silverstone Circuit straddles two English counties, with half the circuit in Northamptonshire, and the other half in Buckinghamshire. Built on the site of a World War II bomber station, by the very nature of it’s original purpose, there aren’t any sudden changes in gradient, but that doesn’t mean that there are no challenges.

Silverstone has hosted the British Grand Prix off and on for 60 years now, and you don’t get to do that if you are a simple or boring circuit.

This Silverstone layout, the one used from 1987-1990, has only one real change from the circuit used for the 1950 Grand Prix. It is very much a brute force and momentum conservation circuit, rather than a late braking, hairpin and acceleration proposition. Some of the cars that have not been quite so comfortable on the recent circuits will find this much more their cup of tea.

The 88 layout has just 10 corners, some of which are more accurately gentle curves taken flat out than real corners, but getting them right is vitally important for your lap. The track starts with a gently curved grid across the Starts/Finish line, followed by a straight long enough to build up a high rate of knots before T1R, Copse. This is a fast 90° turn, made more difficult by the high entry speed and the exit being masked until after the apex by the pit lane Armco. The exit of Copse begins a long period of full acceleration, which carried on through the first of the fast curves, T2L, Maggots.

Taken flat out, Maggots needs to be negotiated as tight as possible without compromising your speed, as it leads to another short straight and then the first piece of heavy braking on the lap for T3R, Becketts.

Becketts is deceptively tight, the off-camber nature throwing you wide if you apex too late, or if you get on the accelerator too early, but you do need to be aggressive here as it leads to a short straight and another of those high speed kinks, T4L, Chapel.

Through Chapel at full tilt, you hit the slightly downhill Hangar Straight, where you will reach your top speed on the lap, before braking slightly and throwing the nose into T5R, Stowe.

Stowe is a classic momentum conservation corner, you need to keep the speed up as much as possible to benefit down the straight following Stowe, before you come to another similar corner, T6R, Club.

Club is one of the trickier corners here, as there is a lack of reference points for braking, turn in and apex. If you go in too soon, you will find a cut warning waiting on the inside, go in too late, or take too much speed through and drift wide, and you will find yourself on some rather slippery grass. As with most of the turns at Silverstone, you can ill afford to lose momentum here, there is always a high speed straight following. Out of Club, the straight leads to T7L, Abbey, another high speed curve that may need a lift or a drift to navigate at full speed.
Abbey leads into the Farm Straight, under the bridge and the heaviest braking zone on the lap for T8L & T9R, the Luffield chicane.

Luffield, like all the other corners, is made harder by the need to carry as much speed through the exit as possible, as it opens up to the curved and –again– full acceleration curve of T10R Woodcote. Not a corner to be trifled with, Woodcote is bumpy, which when combined with the curve and the full acceleration, can easily kick the unwary driver off line.

An exhilarating high speed lap, the full throttle nature and long straights to reach those top velocities, this promises to be one of the shorter races, time wise, but I expect everyone to have a whale of a time.

silv_lod_mA8.jpg

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting.

T3R – Becketts. This is the first real braking zone in the lap, and so it is easy to get fooled into forgetting the disparities in relative braking distances. Also the inside kerb will unsettle cars if too much is taken, so not only is there the danger of a cut, but also being thrown across that negative camber, and across the circuit causing a potential hazard.

T8L & T9R – Luffield. This chicane is approached at full speed, and with a slightly curved braking zone. It is very easy to lock up and slide through which would very easily clean out some totally innocent and unsuspecting drivers leaving Luffield.

All points on the track – General Items
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the race.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.
There is to be NO post race chat until the last running driver has crossed the line for the final time.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
There is 1 new No-show infractions now being levied on Drivers after Round 4.
Manuel Spierenberg
This infraction will be carried for 1 race and then rescinded. Any further infraction of this type by this driver will result in removal from the League.
--------------
1 driver removed from the League after a second No-show infraction.
Jakub Borucki

--------------
Neil Gault raised a Driving Incident Report against Ondrej Kapal in Round 5.
The Report against Ondrej found him at fault for an unsafe and unnecessary blocking manouever, causing a wholly unnecessary accident and damage to several other competitors vehicles. This results in a 20 sec penalty applied for the Birmingham GP classification.

--------------
Bob Hutchins raised a Driving Incident Report against Ryan Callan in Round 5.
The Report against Ryan found him at fault for unnecessary and entirely avoidable contact, causing a wholly unnecessary accident and damage to another competitor’s vehicle. As Ryan DNF-ed, it has been decided that, instead of a time penalty for Birmingham, he will serve a “No Quali” penalty for the next RDHGP event in which he competes.

Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.)

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHGP event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHGP.

Scoring System
I have extended the points distribution method down to P20 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.

The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P1 - 25 pts
P2 - 22
P3 - 20
P4 - 18
P5 - 16
P6 - 15
P7 - 14
P8 - 13
P9 - 12
P10 - 11
P11 - 10
P12 - 9
P13 - 8
P14 - 7
P15 - 6
P16 - 5
P17 - 4
P18 - 3
P19 - 2
P20 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

Off the grid in 8th, safely around the first corner and was soon racing for 4th with some good action until I threw it away into the sand at Becketts by totally missing my braking point.Took ages to get back on track and well down the field.

Now chasing down the places and back up around 10th and I do the same damn thing again - doh. Back down around 18th. Had some good laps with Stu as we chased the pack ahead but best I could do was get back to 10th place.

I really like this track, the high speed made the most of the 5 speed Alfa and the great stability it has through fast turns. I managed to convert this to 10th on the grid which I was pleased with.

Off the line I tried to get tucked up under Gary's rear as i knew the initial run down to Becketts would see him breeze past everyone. I made a few places but into Becketts I found myself between Andreas and one of the Fiats, I nearly lost it under braking but managed to cling on as we hit the hanger straight. It stayed fairly status quo for the rest of lap one as far as I can remember. But on lap two It all went badly wrong. I was following Andreas Into Becketts, he ran slightly too deep and I got great drive out of the turn. Unfortunately my path was taking me right into him and I had no choice but to back off. This compromised both of us down the hanger straight with Stu close behind. We ended up 3-wide going into Stowe, me on the right, Stu on the left and Andreas in the middle. I braked earlier as I was well off line, Andreas moved across infront and Stu followed suit. I was too close to Stu's rear as we entered the turn and gave him the slightest nudge, problem being we were at top speed nearly and this caused Stu to lose the rear. I didn't want to brake in case I cause more grief behind but Stu could hold the slide and I ended up just pushing him further and further round the bend. Eventually he was spat out to the outside of the track and he had to wait for everyone to get by. Stone dead last....

I want to apologise again to Stu for the touch, things were a bit tight. My replay was corrupt so I can't review the incident but and I'm sure I could have done more to avoid the accident happening, I'd willingly accept any punishment you wish to bestow upon me as it fairly screwed your race. Sorry Mate!

After that point it was a recovery drive, pulled back to 14th by the finish after battling past a big gaggle of cars at the back of the field, which was great fun and some consilation for the poor opening laps.

Congratulations to Amir for sealing his first GHP win, well deserved buddy! Also, mad congrats to Gary for hauling the big Ford up to 4th.

Had some good fun yesterday. At these speeds the Mini is quite neutral and was flowing nicely through the corners. I wasn't very competitive but whenever I got passed it was very clean driving. Good stuff:good:

Congrats Amir, I'm sure there will be more HGP wins for you mate!

Qual: My PB and 13th place.

Race: poor start - I lost 3 or 4 places. In Stowe I decided to let Ryan pass, because he was lagging and I didn't want to be hit by his lag. Then we drove bunch of 6-7 cars switching positions. Some laps later there was a smoke indicating crash/spin - that was Stu - right after Stowe which I avoided. Later on we approached in 4 last cars chicane, I decided to take outside under bridge for 1st corner and use inside on exit we went all four in two rows side by side, it seemed that my plan will pay off, but then I got hit and spun off dropping down to 21 st spot. Kris waited for me THX mate! After this I lost my rythm of driving and clocked 1-1,5 sec slower than my normal pace. I took over Knut and then also Neil as he spun off. With 5 laps too go I found my rythm and started to drive faster but my used tires didn't allowed me to drive as quick as I would liked to. I chased Jay reducing his advantage from 8 to 2 sec, when the race was over - finished 17th.

Grats to Amir, Carlos and Krzystof and specially to Gary finally showing true strength of his Falcon!

Hope for more luck at Charade!

[EDIT] Can someone upload replay of the race? Mine lasts only 22 sec. :(

I did not expect such performance from my side, because before the race I thought it would be next Thursday but before race practiced few hours with Ondrej on the server.

Quali I f**d up. It was possible for me to have 1:44:1xx but lost a lot in last sector, but P3 is not so bad.

I do not know guys how you start so fast, as usual lost my place from 3rd to 5th, But after few laps there were only me Carlos and Amir and in later stage Gary. Very nice drive with Carlos, I moved him after his mistake and had safe advantage, unfortunately on the last chicane I was panic because I had to overlapped the car in this difficult chicane and slowed too much and Carlos catched the occasion and moved me on T1. Later cannot have concentrated and lost to Amir and Carlos a distance and had to fight for good pace to hold my position, Because Gary pushed on me a lot.

Thank you a lot for this very nice race!

One thing to note, is that all GPCOS rules stay in place for all users - with one exception.

Sam has been quite ill over the last few months, preventing him from turning a wheel, and even preventing him for logging on.

Sammy will not be punished or thrown out of the League - I only gave him an infraction because I didn't know he'd had a bit of a relapse. I am using my Administrators privilege to exempt him from the allocation requirement.

If others are having a problem with GPCOS, I would expect some direct contact from affected drivers, as Neil made for this race.

Qualify: 6th - Finish: 4th

Previous good knowledge of the track helped my cause allowing me to join the sever an hour or so before the event and get settled,my first couple of laps let me see this was going to be a very different round for me in a nice way :)......Not a good initial launch really but got bailed out a bit when the Falcon mumbo kicked in and we was racin!!,tippy toes around the outside at T1,that was only bit of track on offer really but it all worked out fine with no drama at all,Hangar straight was all i was waiting for to start making hay,and hay was indeed made :D,the front group staying tight helped me stay in touch enough to nab the odd Abath or Alfa on my straights.
Then ofcourse the further up i got the places were much harder to come by,it actually required little mistakes or battle action ahead to let me get my nose in,getting the job done on Peter G. seemed to take a long time and even when i got the pass done it took ages again to shake him off properly and secure 4th!,now i had the front 3 just about in sight up ahead and as they started to get busy with each other i got to close in even more,i was now starting to suffer from delusions of the podium!?!.....but i ran out of laps,just one more would have done the trick to steal 3rd off of Krys,but fair to say i am more than happy with this 4th place ;).
Grats Amir the winz and Carlos and Krys and well done everyone there,and extra thanks for the kind words of support and congrats,never before has a 4th place felt so much like a win guys! :D.

Thank You Stu & RD

Gary, I don't know about the rest of the guys that have had the blessing of snatching a 1P this season (Which so far are Peter G, Andreas, Ryan, Amir, and myself. almost a different guy for each round. Except for Andreas who snatched 2.), but I thank you very much for grabbing the Falcon and not a TCR or an Alfa. If you had, I'm 99% sure my name would not be on the winners list.:wink:

P.S. This guy is usually utterly uncatchable in anything other than a 911. If this was an all Falcon league we would be in real trouble lol!

I would also like to thank Knut and Warren and the rest of you fast guys (you know who you are) who chose the slower of the cars this season, hehe. It would be very hard to grab a podium if I had to fight all of you.

Q 18th
Race: I didn''t start that bad, but still Good flew by like a rocket. i managed to keep nice close lines in the opening lap which gave me some positions, but as I ran wide before entering the chicane I lost them again. Still surrounded by cars I had some very great moments with numerous drivers (Steven, Neil, Roman, Jay, ...) switching positions from corner entry to exit. Finally when I climbed to pos 13 in lap 11 the pressure hadn't diminished, au contraire, the drivers got even closer & more of them together.
Unfortunately the fun ended when I got overtaken on the left & right in the chicane and then I made a foolish move and hit Roman when we exited the chicane. My most sincere apologies! After having Roman passing me I was in position 21 (so without precious points) and started chasing them points. In the first laps after this incident I lost confidence and had difficulties following Roman who was at 7-8 sec. I catched Knut 'the brave' in his Mini and a few laps later Neil and finished 18th in minor. Such a thrilling first 11 laps and then more lonely racing and not-getting-back-the-pace moments all due to my own stupid mistake :(

Gratz to Amir & Podium + a big thank you to Stuart & RD and all participants

Not much to say about this race from my side as I was travelling along quite lonely most of the time.. managed a great start thanks to the NSU's great off the line capabilities but lost all places back within one lap. After all I was off pace about 5 seconds a lap which led to some 'battles' in the beginning while not standing a chance on the straights and most exciting events was being lapped by about 8 cars at the end of the race =)

Thanks again for setting all this up! The racing still appears to be on a good level overall, too bad I can't join you next round as I'm on vacation. Wish you all great fun and success.

Cheers

After reading all the great race reports,I feel more wat I have missed it must have bin a great race.

Congratulations for the first win Amir, an Carlos second with the fastest race lap(1.44.776) ,an third Krzysztof.

an Gary for p4 less than .348 sec.after Krzysztof ,must feel like a Victory !

In a few day's my gear will be ok so see you fore round 7

Gary, I don't know about the rest of the guys that have had the blessing of snatching a 1P this season (Which so far are Peter G, Andreas, Ryan, Amir, and myself. almost a different guy for each round. Except for Andreas who snatched 2.), but I thank you very much for grabbing the Falcon and not a TCR or an Alpha. If you had, I'm 99% sure my name would not be on the winners list.:wink:

My money is on Gary for Bathurst in the last Round, I just can't find a bookmaker willing to give decent odds. :D

Well guys, it all started so well, all getting through T1 & the rest on the opening lap. Lap 2 I had the misfortune to be involved in an incident which lost me some 8 places. After getting these back over the next few laps I was starting to catch a couple of Alfa's in front but with another couple of recovering Abraths now on my tail I had to compromise my line going through Stowe & Club corners which dropped me to far behind the Alfa's so it was now a case of just maintaining my postion and bringing it home to the end, which I managed to do.

Thanks to Stu for again putting up a classic track to race on & for all his hard work running this league. Well done to Amir on his first league win, it was on the table but nice to see you pull it off finally. Wd to Carlos & Krzysztof for getting the other steps on the podium. Oh yea, nice to see Lenno up the sharp end giving beauty a good run, wd mate. See ya all next time for round 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%