RDHCS S9 - Test Event - 9 Laps - Dijon GP/Mondello Int'l - Tue 28th August

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
event0.jpg

Welcome to the Pre-Season Testing event for Season 8 of the RaceDepartment Historic Grand Prix.

This will be a very cut down briefing compared to the actual race events, as the event is mostly a practice session - we will NOT be having a separate qualifying session, I'll roll straight to Race and just go with whatever the game gives us.

The breakdown of the events will be as follows:

Practice1: 19.00GMT - 40 minutes
Race1: 19.40GMT - 9 laps
Practice2: 20.00GMT - 40 minutes
Race2: 20.40GMT - 9 laps

This is a test event, so grid placing is immaterial and will be whatever Practice gives us.

We will be using RD CLUB rules and CLUB PASSWORD for this event. If you take anyone off, or even if you think you might have, STOP AND WAIT FOR THEM. Failure to do so could jeopardise your place in the League.

This is a non-competitive event, merely for us to work any last minute kinks out of our setups, make our final vehicle choice decisions, test the preliminary skin packs I'll be providing, make sure no-one has any problem connecting / staying in / viewing anyone elses skin. Don't go treating it like a League race.

Event 1 will be round Dijon GP - I will be rolling here @19.00GMT (20.00 Ldn), irrespective of what track the server is currently on.
event0a.jpg

Dijon is well known to us all, relatively simple and biased towards power thanks to that long, long main straight. The nimbler cars will be able to make up time in the middle section, but this is not really their domain.

T4L - The blind and crested braking zone makes this tricky enough, but the way the turn dives away downhill and left means that it's a balancing act to get power on. Turning in too soon to avoid the scrubbing understeer means that the high inner kerbs come into play, trying to keep too much speed on means you will drift wide towards the outer hazards, and putting power on too early will result in the rear end swapping places with the front. Easily the trickiest corner on the lap.

T5R - the uphill approach helps by shortening braking distances, but again, the crested exit means you have to be careful how you put the power down.

Event 2 will be on the International Layout of Mondello Park, and will follow the same 40 min prac/9 lap race format
event0b.jpg

We don't drive Mondello that often, but the international layout is a great track. This is very much about the handling, how much speed you can carry through turns, how soon you can squeeze the power on, how predictable you can get your car to behave. There's only really one section that the more muscular cars can stretch their legs, but even that is protected by some handling based design tests at the end.

T4R - this slow corner follows immediately after the mid paced T3R, and tightens on exit. Going in too hot is bad news - locking up will send you straight on into the sandpit, drifting wide will put you in the wall, too much power to correct will send you across the dusty grass on the inside.

T8R - After the long straight, this trap double right waits, protected by a downhill approach (meaning braking zones are extended) and an off camber entry (that if not allowed for will put you into the sand again).

T13L - This is quick enough that you will be attacking it and riding the inner kerb under acceleration. Be warned here, the more you cut, the bumpier it gets and the less control you will have on the exit. The Cut Track warning is on the right hand side of the exit, so it's daring you to be careless.

Thread will open nearer the event.

That was a good shakedown for me. Everything working ok and the Skyline felt good.
Had a good pace going in race one just managing to hold on to Ross before I had a double downshift and crashed out - more my big bannana fingers and befuddled brain than anything else. Was also surprised how nimble it was around Modello.

Looking forward to the first race.

Decent run-out last night, no surprises from anywhere or anything for me, and apart from a touch of lag leading to mis-shifts in race one, and causing a spin in race two, everything was fine. Got caught up in the turn 1 stramash too at Mondello, but this lead to a very eventful race where i had some good battles with around half the grid. Looking forward to round numero uno now.

Sorry to drop out early last night, was getting horrible cramp in my legs (end of training for a half marathon in a few weeks!) Anyhow, was useful ironing out the understeer I was getting in my first few goes with Dagenham's finest:) Quite liking it and get the feeling we're going to get on fine through the season....roll on Nurburgring.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 205 14.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 153 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 148 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 110 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 209 14.3%