RDHCS S10 - Round 1 - 100km (22 Laps) - Autodromo Int'l Algarve - Tue 26th Feb 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
RaceDepartment Historic Club Series Season 10 Round 1 – Guess who’s back, back again

RDHCS is back, tell your friends.

Welcome to the Premiere, some say Debut, some say Inaugural Round of RDHCS Season 10. As you know, we’ve made something of a song and dance about the Carset this season, it being the largest and widest selection we’ve ever had. It also appears, from first glance in the Test events and from the feedback we’ve received from drivers detailing their difficulties in choosing their vehicles through testing, that it has a decent chance of being the closest matched set we’ve ever put together. You can select any 2 cars from the 9 and clearly recognise and differentiate between the comparative strengths and weaknesses, but actually choosing which one is faster overall seems to be nigh on impossible, because the track is so absolutely fundamental to this seasons choices and their relative pace.

This season’s schedule spans 4 continents, across multiple track types and profiles, so there will be something for everyone here. Quite often, sections of a single track will differ wildly in what car they favour, so expect some concertina-ing throughout various stages of laps/races/the season. Many thanks to Knut who established the baseline group of cars and venues with me, and Rupe who helped out with final schedule tweaking and car set confirmation testing. It would appear we’ve stumbled across a set of golden variables here, so fingers crossed that the season confirms that initial impression.

We start in Europe, at the Long(er) layout of the Autodromo Internacional Algarve. This is one of the rFactor conversion circuits that require the *.gdb file fix to allow it to run, and more importantly finish, correctly. We have nullified the time scaling portion of the gdb file as GTL does not support it, and we will provide a fully patched download for you all to install. If you have been practising on the track already, this new download does NOT render that invalid at all – there is Zero difference to the track layout, length or grip beyond the timing bug we are eradicating.

algarve.jpg

Circuit Notes
The Autodromo Internacional Algarve is situated in Portimao on Portugal’s south coast in the Faro District of the Algarve Region. Though it was only completed in 2008, it has hosted Superleague Formula, GP2, A1GP, World Series by Renault, FIM World Superbikes, FIA World GT, Le Mans Series and F3000 Euroseries. It has also hosted regular F1 testing, although no official race has been held there at F1 level to date.

The track is constantly changing gradient throughout the span of a lap, giving uphill and downhill braking zones, turns and affecting the cambers greatly to increase the difficulty tariff. The track is very wide, and gives multiple lines through many of the corners, allowing for overtaking to be eminently possible.

A lap of Portimao starts on the long S/F straight, which drops away into the tricky T1R. It is not a classic “slow corner at the end of a long straight” lap opener. Instead it’s a mid-paced turn, with a downhill approach, immediately telescoping braking distances, and because of that downhill profile it is also an off-camber turn. There are green run-off areas on the outside of the turn, but they are slippery, and contain a cut if you use them as a racing line. You also have to be relatively circumspect in T1R, because as the track begins to flatten out on exit, you approach T2R.

T2R can be taken flat out under acceleration without too many problems, but you need to be settled and stable before you can take a lot of speed through there. Additionally the fastest line there could well interfere with your approach and your lines for the important T3R as they are closely spaced together. T3R is a tight, climbing hairpin that can be attacked a few ways. The classic wide approach-tight apex-wide exit is fine but maybe short termist, as it will leave you on the wrong side of the track for the approaching T4L. T4L opens onto an uphill straight, so getting the best exit from T4L is probably more important to the lap than your line through T3R. T4L is also bump-crested on the apex to add to the trickiness, so the more powerful cars especially need to be aware of their throttle position as they traverse the crest. It would be very easy to suddenly spin the wheels as the car goes light over the bump.

You climb gently after T4L and it can feel quite flat after the steep turn preceding it, then over another crest and steeply downhill into the braking zone for one of the trickier turns on the lap, T5L. Like T1R, it’s approached downhill, the downhill profile takes it off camber, but unlike T1R, it exits uphill, onto one of the narrower parts of the track. The inside of the turn has a fairly wide green kerb area, but as always, 2 wheels need to be on the tarmac at all times. Accelerate hard up the hill, throw the nose into the blind (apex obscured by crest, exit by fence and track buildings) but relatively benign turn T6L. Keep on the gas as you drop downhill again into the approach to T7R.

The drop bottoms out at the apex of T7R, giving it some positive camber, and allowing you to really attack the inside line under acceleration, but you need to balance this corner with the demands of the next corner, T8R. You need to be on the brakes almost immediately after T7R, as the track climbs into the approach for T8R. Brake early and hard, T8R is uphill and off camber, and had a punishing yellow inner kerb bump for people trying to take liberties. I would like to think it will remain unmolested because of our driving rules, but beware if you find yourself over there unexpectedly. Take a clean line, and get on the gas early for the uphill exit.

Get across to the right as you approach the crest, still accelerating hard. As you go over the crest, you see the track laid out before you, dropping downhill, then flattening and rising again, with T9L ahead at the start of the rise. It sounds complex but can be taken flat out by most if not all cars this season. With T9L safely negotiated, you exit uphill where the tracks soon crests and flattens, and you are straight into the tricky and curved braking zone for T10R. Make sure you get everything done early here - T10R is a real nasty piece of work. Keep a good tight line, allowing for the negative camber, but also aware of the possibility of losing the rear, and then accelerate hard out of the turn towards the left hand kerbs, which - as always - are difficult to see because the track drops away from you again. The left hand side has a waiting sandtrap beyond the kerbs and green run offs, so temper your exits to stay on the black stuff.

Still hard on the gas, you move right to take T11L as quick as possible. The track again changes from a downhill approach to an uphill exit through T11L, leaving you facing the sky straight ahead. Move across to the right and get yourself ready for T12L another one of the many leaps of faith this circuit demands of you. You will be braking hard for T12L, long before you can see the entry, let alone the exit. The first part of the corner you will see is the yellow inner bump protection, so use that to adjust your car for proper approach. Turn in smoothly, not jerking as the track is slippery here and a slide will cost you a lot of time. Again, beware a too aggressive exit that drifts you right, there's a huge sandtrap there that will cost you way more time than taking the corner cleanly. Accelerate out, moving from the right hand side of the track to the left, and into T13R.

T13R is very important for the laptimes, as it leads onto beginning of the longest section of acceleration of the lap, but because it is downhill, and massively negatively cambered, the entry needs to be very careful. Drifting wide down the camber will force you to back right off the accelerator and correct, costing you a lot of time. Keep the nose in tight, and early in the corner, and get hard on the accelerator. Once you get your line and negotiate the apex, let the car run wide on the left towards the red & white kerbs. Pass the shorter circuit's coned-off pit entry and last turn on the inside, keeping your foot hard down. The track dips ahead for the start of the long last turn, T14R. Keep your foot down hard as long as you can, although you may want or need to breathe the throttle a little to keep the nose as tight as possible, as drifting wide on the exit will take you across some bumpy kerbs that will unsettle your car, even if you keep it legal. The turn exits uphill, with the grandstands ahead on the left, the pits and pit entrance on the right, so keep your foot planted up the final hill onto the S/F straight and another lap of Portimao.

algarve.png

The Race Director has some notes for drivers. Please see the track map above for location of Race Direction note:-

All Corners Without Exception – The kerbs are not deemed as track, therefore 2 wheels must be within the white lines, on the tarmac, At All Times. Again, there are NO exceptions to this rule at any point on the circuit. Any exception to this rule is deemed illegal, any advantage gained by this method must be ceded immediately. Report people deliberately and excessively cutting - this can be people in front of you trying to gain an advantage, or people behind you trying to cheat to catch up.

T1L - Especially on Lap 1. Be aware of people as you turn in here, it has the possibility to cause huge problems if drivers don’t respect each other. Be aware that any incidents caused by reckless or over aggressive driving in Turn 1 during the first lap will be dealt with severely. Deliberately going wide here and driving back on at full speed is illegal. People who have stayed legal have right of way here, defer to them before rejoining the track.

Most of the other issues on this track will be people driving off the circuit and/or cutting. The track is wide enough that there aren't really any bottlenecks where the cars will be jammed up close with nowhere to go.

The main issue I saw in the Test event, as I've already mentioned, is people using their cars to lever people off corners or off the circuit. No-one has a divine right to be on any part of the track, and no-one can just ignore all the other cars to get there.

Also - we have a wide performance disparity in various areas of the track. The lighter, grippier cars cannot just throw themselves recklessly at a marginal gap and expect people to get out of their way. Likewise the heavier, more powerful cars can't just drive their lines oblivious to others around them and not expect to be challenged. As long as things are clean and legal, you will be fine.

Racing Room must be given to all driversand this works both ways. Divebombing into and across a corner denies people the chance to make the corner correctly just as much as someone obliviously (or deliberately) cutting the nose off of another driver who has achieved partial overlap fairly.

All points on the track – General Items
Drivers may put on their lights (and keep them on) during a timed qualification lap, so other drivers know to get out of the way when safe to do so.
No lights are to be flashed at any stage, under any circumstances, during the Race Session.
No Chat during the Quali or Race except by Race Control for information.
The Track must be re-entered safely so as not to ruin other peoples races.
Car damage must be assessed realistically to know if it is possible to make the pits or not.

Incidents, Investigations and Penalties
Please remember, the League staff will only review incidents if they are reported to them.

No report = no review.

Please try and remember the incident reporting guidelines: review, cool off, review again. Only after following the above process, and if you are convinced you still need to report it, should you let the League staff know. Please give as much information as possible during the report (time of incident, drivers involved etc.) Accident reports made within 24 hours of race completion will be ignored.

Any accusations or complaints aired in the Chat during or after a race will mean a penalty levied on the person complaining or making the accusations, even if a subsequent official complaint gets found in their favour. I simply will NOT tolerate any post race finger pointing.

Liveries
You have chosen your car and livery already, and you must only drive your chosen car at any time during an RDHCS event. Every driver has a unique livery in this season of RDHCS.

Reporting Attendance
I will be sending a PM with the round password to all Signed-Up drivers. I will also be running an “Attendance” post. If you are definitely driving, you need to “like” the post. If you are NOT driving (or if you are unsure of attendance) you must post a reply to say so. If there is no response, or if a response is posted after 2 hours before Event start time (ie 1800 London time) on race day, it will be treated as a "will attend" status, and any absence will be deemed a No-Show. 2 No-Shows will mean removal from the league.

Scoring System
Points are scored down to P25 (75% distance completion required) so people can fight for some points no matter where they are on the track, and hopefully have a season long battle with people around them in the League.
The Distribution is as follows for 100km events :
P01 – 30 pts
P02 - 27
P03 - 25
P04 - 23
P05 - 21
P06 - 20
P07 - 19
P08 - 18
P09 - 17
P10 - 16
P11 - 15
P12 - 14
P13 - 13
P14 - 12
P15 - 11
P16 - 10
P17 - 9
P18 - 8
P19 - 7
P20 - 6
P21 - 5
P22 - 4
P23 - 3
P24 - 2
P25 - 1

1 point for fastest race lap
1 point for qualifying on Pole

That sort of "issue" is really the charm of racing with so different cars as we are using this season. It was the same challenge back then as it is now, and I think everyone love it. It makes the strategy even more important, maybe it is best to let the "boats" run free for the first laps if you cannot get past cleanly, and then strike when they start to struggle :)

I really love this kind of racing, it is highly enjoyable both to watch and to drive :)

Here is my entry into the front page background picture competition for premium members..You will not see the middle of the picture only the outside 3rd of the picture..i know the graphics are old but with a little imagination ...
you get the picture...:) So lets try and get gtl on the background image...;) Bram did the last one due to not much interest... there is now..:sneaky: get your images made and lets post... :thumbsup:
frontpageyx.jpg

Nice to see a massive grid again in GTL, it's been a while!

Really enjoyed the Alpine on the Portimao circuit. The medium-speed twisty sections played to its strengths nicely, and it just felt better and better after a bit of setup tweakage- although it did lack a bit of horsepower in some sections.

In the race, i managed to get a great start and pulled away when Guus & Dmytro battled closely for almost the entire distance. Bad luck there Guus, congrats Dmytro & Knut on their respective podiums.

Congrats to the organisers too, as the event seemed to run smoothly with none of the mismatches or disco's experienced in the original test event. A dedicated league install seems to be the way forward to avoid confusion in the future!

Cheers all

Might be to late now Tim. With the new deal that Rd has got with the live events, we also have to follow certain rules, One of the rally vids from Senad fell into this trap a couple of weeks ago..:(
and a promo vid for a league..
Sorry to put a dampner on it but its a cracking vid...10X:thumbsup:

I've had an insanely busy week, so no time to write a decent report and a lot of reading to do now.:)

Good to see Rupe filled in at the wiiiidescreenshots department, not to mention the amazing vid Tim made:thumbsup::thumbsup: . Excellent stuff sir! Thanks for exposing my final not-so-clean pass on Jacob to the world :D

My race in a nutshell: started in 8th, got up to 5th by Turn 1, back to 26th by Turn 2, and back to 8th at the end. Loving every inch of it, with never a dull moment.
I just can't believe I fell into the 1st-corner-cold-tyres-trap:mad: . Straight off track out of everyone's way but still, that could have gone very wrong.:redface:

Other than that, extreme good fun with all the different car classes in this huge grid. It really made for some amazing racing and I can only hope this was a measure for things to come this season.

I'm not sure if I completely understand what all the heavy cars vs. light cars talk is about:O_o: , but IMO Warren Dawes, there's no need for you to back off at all, just be as competitive as you can be and FWIW, in my view you swatting me off was probably just as much my own fault and I should take notice to be more cautious in the future. Believe it or not, the way it happened actually made me smile going off track.
As others have said, it's responsibility of the overtaking car to be clean, the front car can just stick to its line.
And so what if you create a traffic jam behind you? Former F1 driver Jarno Trulli got very rich doing just that.

Anyways, Thanks all for an entertaining race; Grats to Ross, Dmytro and Knut, and better luck next time to the unlucky Guus, Leszek and Lukasz. [EDIT]: And Dave [/EDIT]
Once more a big thanks to the GTL Staff, as all their hard work paid off into a trouble-free League start.:notworthy:

Again I'm the last. :) If anyone else remembers that race. :D That day, I felt representative thrill for me, because of it basically showed a rather average times. But still had second position on the start (obviously with no way to catch Ross' time).

Before race, I've had a pair of test race-simulation runs with mid-position gearbox settings and had pace 2.07.1 - 2.08.1 whole 22 laps. But before race I was worried about the fight with faster Ferraris and Jaguars and decided to switch to more long gearbox ratio to have a reserve of speed at the finish line (if I use average ratio then I top my engine revs on the finish line before the descent). On clear track my times with long gearbox are pretty similar to my main setup.

But, this was a mistake. :thumbsdown: I've prepared to defend from fast rockets but not to push ahead little porkey! :rolleyes: All first half of the race I've tried to past Guus' Porsche. I could go faster, I had faster entry corner speeds but Guus pulled away from me on the acceleration (my long ratio definitely didn't help) and I do not have time to take advantage of my maximum speed, since only had caught up Guus just on the braking.
Only one time I was able to overtake him, we crossed our trajectories twice in 6-7&8 turns, I was able to get ahead but Guus had a spun. Although replay showed that I did not do anything wrong, during the race I did not like the idea that I won the position in such a way and I've decided to wait and let Guus to back on the second position.
In the second half my tires worn out and I couldn't keep normal pace. I've prepared to secure my 3rd place from Knut, but unfortunate Guus was mistaken before the finish lap and I had luck to catch second position.

Great race Ross, Knut and Guus! Well done and thanks to everyone!
Anglesey will be much tougher with such a big and tight peloton.:O_o:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline