RD GP Championship 2017 I

Status
Not open for further replies.
What aero packages are we likely to be using for this season? Will we only be using 1 or multiple? :) So excited for this!!!

Question: Why are the oval rounds so short? 106 laps in Miami will not even be an hour. I'd have thought 150-200 laps would be a more appropriate distance. Similar for Lausitzring. Thoughts?

Question: Why are the oval rounds so short? 106 laps in Miami will not even be an hour. I'd have thought 150-200 laps would be a more appropriate distance. Similar for Lausitzring. Thoughts?
For Miami/Palm Springs is rather simple, the track is short so it's more prone to restarts. Sure if you guys play it safely for a 106 laps, you'll do 159/160 miles easily and quickly. Furthermore, you're racing half the actual distance and I wanted races to be within the 150 - 200 mile range so it's not entirely tiring on the drivers and audience, considering we are going to have one restart or another. I don't mind if it becomes a short race, if it does, I'm actually going to be happy because you've managed to keep it clean and smooth at all times.

Lausitzring I can confirm that is actually the real race length of the CART race back in the day, they drove for 200 miles in that track.

Last edited:
Round_1b.jpg

Let's kick of the action with 'Murican fast short oval racing here at the RaceDepartment GP Championship!

homestead-layouts.jpg

Track Description
Miami Speedway is a short 1.5 mile oval inspired on the Miami Homestead Speedway used on the NASCAR series mainly, though in 2006 the track was host to an Indycar race. The good flow and now deep banking combined with the "short length" of the circuit will provide some close battles all the way to the finish line. Drivers will have to remain patient and look for passes on the 2 straights in this 1.5 mile track and hold the line on the turns, where the aero drag push can be dangerous here.

Session Schedule

• Practice: 17:45 (1 hour)
  • Qualify 18:45 (10 minutes or 4 laps, counting in and out lap)
  • Warm-up: 18:55 (5 minutes, dedicated for resting and last minute info)
  • Race: 19:00 (166 Laps = aprox. 250 mi)
All times are posted in GMT. Daylight Saving Time changes occur before Round 1 for most countries. Find out when your DST changes!

Server Details
Name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM RDGPC R1
Password: Click here
Track: Palm Springs Speedway (ISI's version of Miami Speedway)
Cars: Dallara DW12 IndyCar 2014 (ISI made)
Safety car: RD Safety Car - Nissan 370z (v1.2)

Live Timing - click here

Weather - Dry conditions

Stewards Notes
    • Please review the latest additions to the regulations before joining.
    • Please make sure your line-up is up to date. Communicate any changes in the Sign-Up thread. The current state of your line-up can be found there too.
Pit Entry Procedure

For the race at Miami Speedway, we enforce that any cars entering the pits stay as far left (towards the inside of the track) as possible when driving through Turn 3 and 4 towards the pit entry lane. Any cars looking to overtake should do so around the outside / right side of the track, as the pit entry and start / finish line are approached. cars not wishing to enter the pits MUST stay to right of the white line marking the entry lane to the pits.

Pit Exit Procedure

Drivers that leave the pits, must no matter what, rejoin the track only on the back straight after Turn 2, just a normal NASCAR or Indycar race, following the standard joining on the left and retaking the normal line on the right as long traffic flux is normal as possible or no traffic at all. Drivers rejoining before that will be penalized during or after the race with a timed penalty.

Last edited:
For Miami/Palm Springs is rather simple, the track is short so it's more prone to restarts. Sure if you guys play it safely for a 106 laps, you'll do 159/160 miles easily and quickly. Furthermore, you're racing half the actual distance and I wanted races to be within the 150 - 200 mile range so it's not entirely tiring on the drivers and audience, considering we are going to have one restart or another. I don't mind if it becomes a short race, if it does, I'm actually going to be happy because you've managed to keep it clean and smooth at all times.

Lausitzring I can confirm that is actually the real race length of the CART race back in the day, they drove for 200 miles in that track.
Lausitzring was 154 laps in 2001 and 2003. The audience is already watching an oval race Lorenzo. Those who don't like this kind of racing won't tune in in the first place. Either they like it or they don't. Oval races have cautions that mix things up and those people that are watching will enjoy that aspect. Imho, the race is a bit gimped with such a short distance because strategy is pretty much decided before the race. Please think about making Miami and Lausitzring at least 50% longer. Think most drivers would appreciate it as well, because every time we've raced ovals in the clubs, we were like: This was way too short ;)

@Chark @Ike Ramos @Matt88 @Campbell Wallis @Dan Long @Sherwin van der Sloot @Douglas Simoneli @Thiago Amado @Weimar Colombo Baptisotti @Blauweke @Jayme Brooks @Dennis93 @iLouLou @of1 @Kresh @Larry Downing @Matt Le Gallez @Matheusfonseca @Getu @Slalom823 @JoãoBessaM @Franklin Stegink @Theo van den Brink @Valrys @Jay Beckwith

what you guys feel about the longer oval races?

I need to know soon because if passed, Alex needs to do a new banner. And I'm awaiting still on the teams/drivers skins :), you can send them to me

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in favor of longer races as well. To make it easier, I think people can click "agree" on a post in favor of longer races to state their opinions, instead of waiting for everyone to post here.

On a sidenote, I think that an emphasis on the specific rules for oval racing must be made. For example, I thinking that the full course yellow countdown is far from optimal on an oval.
Full-course yellow.When a full-course yellow is due to come into effect Race Control shall announce "there will be a full-course yellow", before commencing a countdown from "5" down to "1" over TeamSpeak. Drivers should NOT slow down (excessively) during this countdown period, to prevent potential accidents. At the end of the countdown Race Control will state "full-course yellow is in effect"; after this announcement all cars must immediately slow down to pit-lane speed, and have their pit limiters engaged.

@Chark @Ike Ramos @Matt88 @Campbell Wallis @Dan Long @Sherwin van der Sloot @Douglas Simoneli @Thiago Amado @Weimar Colombo Baptisotti @Blauweke @Jayme Brooks @Dennis93 @iLouLou @of1 @Kresh @Larry Downing @Matt Le Gallez @Matheusfonseca @Getu @Slalom823 @JoãoBessaM @Franklin Stegink @Theo van den Brink @Valrys @Jay Beckwith

I need to know soon because if passed, Alex needs to do a new banner. And I'm awaiting still on the teams/drivers skins :), you can send them to me or @Daiman Patel
im ok with longer as well, My skin is taking forever as i have never done one but im working hard on it

I'm all for longer races.
As for FCY on ovals, we could do with rF2's embedded system, if you can program single file restarts (i.e. as in the real world indy series). The grid freezing is a pretty big plus in those cases, although not entirely perfect (the car that causes the caution receives no position penalty).
Also, FYI, reversing in the pits brings out the yellow in rF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back