1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

RD in Asia?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Support' started by Kristopher Alcordo, Sep 20, 2010.

1. I'm not really sure if there are a lot of asians in the sim racing scene but it would be really interesting and helpful if RD started simracing initiative to capture the asian market. Like race times optimized for asia, a server in asia perhaps. That would be awesome to have.

2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

That would only be possible if some server company cuts us zero dollar deal as a server in asia is not possible in our current budget :(

3. I don't really get what you meant with cut us "zero dollar deal"? :D

4. What Bram is saying is, another server in Asia would add so much more costs onto the current server budget that RD would have to shut down one of the European or American servers in order to set one up in that area (unless a miracle happens and the server guys give RD an asian server for free, which isn't going to happen....).

5. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Or a LOT more members here make donations???

6. Fair point Warren, fair point...

7. Ahh lol,.. Sorry for not "getting" it :) But yeah, we also have our simracing community and run our own server and getting money to keep it up is difficult.. I hope you guys do get a server for asia.. that would be a blast!

8. Kris Vickers

Kris Vickers
    Hardware Staff

If you (or anyone else) are currently in Asia, would it be feasable to setup a PC in your home as a dedicated server for RD to use?

Bram - I dont really know the ins and outs of server/bandwidth specifications etc, but is this possible?

9. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion

Its possible Kris, however the host does need fairly good upload for it to be feasible.

10. Abdul Al-Amry

Abdul Al-Amry
    2011 RD Indy 500 Winner

Will my PC help in setting up a server? Runs Atom Core8Duo.

11. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I don't know either, best is to ask Ramon The Wizard for such things :) All i know is that you need a bad ass connection for hosting servers, and we need to be able to access it by remote desktop.