Status
Not open for further replies.
RDGT5C%252520Forum.jpg

League: RaceDepartment GT5 Championship
Season: 2 (2012)
Game Required: Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)
Number of Divisions: 1

Introduction

A new year is fast approaching, and so is a new GT5 championship! Season 2 will use the super sleek and ultra fast Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, racing modified for even greater performance. Your skills will be put to the test over five rounds featuring tracks from around the world. Can you tame the beast and come out ahead of the pack?

Registration

Registration Thread

There are fourteen (14) positions available for this championship and it is open to all licensed members. However, the staff reserve the right to decide who will actually participate. Full details on how to register can be found in the Registration Thread.

Registration Open: 12th December 2011
Registration Closed: 31st December 2011
Publication of Drivers: 2nd January 2012

Drivers & Teams

The RaceDepartment GT5 Championship S2 is for single driver entries only.

Vehicles & Liveries

Vehicle Regulations Thread

This is a single model championship using a racing modified Chevrolet Corvette ZR1. Your vehicle must meet the vehicle regulations exactly in order to be eligible for the championship. If your vehicle is found to be in breach of the regulations or using unapproved upgrades, you will be immediately disqualified from the championship. You may also be banned from future championships.

All drivers must use a unique number and colour for their car. These must be stated when you register for the championship, ensuring that you do not choose a number and colour already reserved by another driver. In addition, you may not choose any number between 1-10. If you do choose a previously reserved number or colour then the staff will assign you one instead.

Shakedown

There will be one or more shakedown events held before the championship begins. All championship participants are obligated to attend these events as they are designed to detect the connection issues that some users have with GT5. If you suffer from these problems and they cannot be resolved then you may be asked to give your position in the championship to a reserve driver.

Calendar

Shakedown: Grand Valley Speedway - 8th January 2012

Round 1: Laguna Seca Raceway - 15th January 2012
Round 2: Autodromo Nazionale Monza - 22nd January 2012
Round 3: Nürburgring GP/F - 29th January 2012
Round 4: Suzuka Circuit - 5th February 2012
Round 5: Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps - 12th February 2012

Event Format

Event Format Thread

Practice: 19:30 GMT (30 Minutes)
Qualifying: 20:05 GMT (15 Minutes)
Race: 20:25 GMT

Points table

P1: 20
P2: 17
P3: 15
P4: 13
P5: 11
P6: 10
P7: 9
P8: 8
P9: 7
P10: 6
P11: 5
P12: 4
P13: 3
P14: 2

No points are awarded for pole position or the fastest lap.

Absence

This is the most important part of the briefing that you need to understand! If you accept the invitation to drive in the championship then we expect you to be present for all races during the season. If you miss a round without giving at least two days notice then the staff reserve the right to remove you from the championship. You also risk termination of your licensed member status at RaceDeparment.

Championship Regulations

Championship Regulations Thread

The Championship Regulations are laid out in a document for the 2012 seasons. As the regulations differ from the club rules, everyone must read them before registering.

Practicing and still trying to get used to my new steering wheel the logitech gt.

That's a good wheel. I used one myself for well over a year, until I upgraded to a G27 last week. In fact, there are still a few things I prefer about the DFGT compared to the G27. Once you get used to it, it should serve you well.

Q: What is your favourite track on the calender?
A: My is Laguna Seca because it is a nice following track.

It's a toss up between Spa and Nürburgring for me. Spa is long and fast and a joy to drive, but Nürburgring is more technical. From an actual racing point of view I have a feeling that Nürburgring will be the more exciting of the two due to more overtaking opportunities.

And Sam, go back and recount the people in the registration thread. You are in fact the fourteenth person to sign up. ;)

Managed to do some practise at Laguna and Im predicting 1 stop at one of these options:
1.) If going flat out, Racing Hards pit in around about Lap 15 for more Racing Hards
2.) If easy on Tyres, Racing Mediums pit in about Lap 10 for Racing Hards or Racing Hards pit in around Lap 20 for Racing Mediums.
Laguna has high tyre degredation so if you are going to be risky go for option 2 but to be on the safe side go for option 1 since I just about survived 16 laps on Hards.
The Hards start to wear at around lap 8-10 and actually go "over the cliff" at around lap 12-14.
Also be careful around the braking areas for turn 2, 7 and the corckscrew, as I was caught out serveral times espcially at turn 2.

Have any of the patches actually done anything to change tyre degradation rates? Me and Matt Schofield did a load of tyre testing early this year and found that the hard compound only lasted around 2-4 laps longer than the soft compound. However, the soft compound was much, much quicker. The end result was that the time you gain by being faster far outweighed the ability to do a couple of extra laps.

I've done no tyre testing since then and have not seen tyres mentioned in any patch notes.

I can now answer my own question. The latest update which was released today (v2.02) contains the following change:
- Tyre wear speed adjustment

In the usual PD fashion there is no further information. They might last longer/shorter or the durability difference between compounds may have changed... who knows? I encourage everyone that wants to take part in the championship to do some testing so that they can work out their race strategy.

I've just done basic testing myself. Tyre degradation has been drastically changed. Anyone planning to complete the races using the soft compound had better think again.

I did five laps of Nurburgring GP/F with each set of tyres, noting their condition once I'd finished (in rubber remaining) and the approximate differences in lap time.

Soft - Front: 35%, Rear: 40%

Medium - Front: 55%, Rear: 60%, +1 / +1.5 seconds compared to soft

Hard - Front: 65%, Rear: 75%, +2 / +3 seconds compared to soft

As we know, a tyre condition of 50% is the 'cliff' at which grip suddenly starts dropping off. In other words, the soft compound is pretty much good for nothing now unless you're in a very short race. It can't be used for qualifying because you'd need to change tyres before the race starts... returning to the lobby to do so buggers up peoples qualifying times.

Some definite rethinking to be done about pit strategy... two stops may even be on the cards now, something I didn't expect.

I know i have read how to change your name in gt5 but then i had the old one and it was not possible to change so i stopped reading, but now i have the new one becouse of ylod every 2 weeks and copied over the savefile to the new ps3 for all the cars and credits, so now i think it will be possible to change my name but cant find the thread.

You may have seen something about changing your name in this thread. However, I edited that thread some time ago because changing your name is not possible on a PS3.

Your PSN ID is permanent and cannot be changed. If you want a new name then you need to create a whole new profile, but that means losing all of your trophies and any other profile specific progress. Game saves cannot be transferred between profiles because they are copy protected.

Not a proper testing but I did also few laps around Monza with racing softs / hards. I did not do testing prior 2.02 patch but my immediate feel was that softs definitely wear quicker than earlier.

After 5 laps with softs rear tyres were around 30% - 40% and you noticed the difference and after 8 laps (and some spins..) rear left was 0% => pretty impossible to stay on track anymore.

Racing hards were around 80% after 5 laps so I wold guesstimate that hard compound wear rate is only half or even less of the wear rate of soft compound.

The difference in lap times with softs and hards was around 2...3 s.

Regarding qualifying, isn`t it still possible to use different compound for quali and race start, because you can drive to the pitlane and select tyres (different than you selected in lobby)? Needs testing to hough how you must exactly do this ( e.g. If you select softs in lobby and then go to the pits and change the hards at the end of quali, do you start with softs or hards? Or do you need to make the selections the other way round? Don`t know and dont have acces to my ps3 until next week). Anyway logically it should be somehow possible?

Looks like your results are pretty much consistent with mine, Markus. It shows that we're on the right track at least.

About changing tyres in qualy, I'm not sure that it works like that. Pretty sure that at race start it will use whatever tyres you picked in your setup, not what you put on in the pits. However, to be quite honest it might be better that people just pick their starting tyres before qualy, regardless of how it works. There are enough rule for people to remember during the qualy session without messing about with tyre tricks as well.

I'll try it out in a moment, and let you know how we'll do it.

I just tested it. I put racing softs on my car and pitted during free run to switch to comfort softs. I started the race and my car had racing softs on again.

So, people will need to decide what tyre to qualify and start the race on before the end of the practice session. Bit like F1 in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 282 27.5%