RD Formula FG Championship Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the long pause I can't recollect what I would have written down just after the race, so beware of inaccuracies...

It was nice to end the season in the commentary box, seeing as on the track I managed to get unlucky with rain, pitstops and tyres. All in all it was a difficult season haunted by reliability issues, despite heavy investment in that department. I count 7 retirements and 3 or 4 more races that got spoiled through electrical faults, loose wheels and/or crashes. This though makes my win at Zandvoort even more cherish-able. For next season though, well we'll have to see what happens.

The wiki Hall of Fame has been updated, down the bottom of it is a WIP list of general statistics. If there is a statistic that you would like to see included on that list, put it in and I can find the numbers for it.
Keep in mind that I don't want it to be clogged up endlessly with 'stat X (drivers), stat X (teams), stat Y (drivers), stat Y (teams)' etc. I want little facts that are interesting for drivers or teams.

RULES AND THINGS
So next season, as ever, there will be some changes and balancing. Why? Because as time goes on you need to adapt.

• Engines: Pretty much been changed every season, and it will be no different in S4. First of all, the final nail in finally getting Tier 3 to be balanced (hopefully) will be to bring the HP range to 775-790 and then to increase the price of CoF reduction to $200 per 100 ($50 per 25). Hopefully this means that we can hold onto what T3 engines should be, cheap to buy, cheap to upgrade, liable to explode. By hitting the CoFR price, it means that the engine will be harder to bring to a safe CoF, and by reducing the upper limit of the engine, it should hopefully stop a situation of a team paying less and hitting the front instantly. If you think that's unfair, just remember that the engine is already cheaper then cheaper to upgrade. It's just more balanced.
    Tier 2 is still fine, I want to do something more with Tier 1, but I'm not sure what yet. Some homework for me.
    Lastly, the locked in engines in T1 and T2 are going to be shook up, with Honda moving up to T1, Mugen is going to be dropped, you'll have to purchase a T3 engine for them, Ford/Cosworth will drop to T2. With that, 2KF1 won't be eligible for price reduction from Cosworth, and for the instance of N-Tech and Honda, a halfway reduction to $300 will be offered (as it's not their choice that the engines were moved Tiers).
    Lamborghini and Yamaha are going to be dropped from T2, with Audi and Porsche moving in to replace them.
    Unofficially, the tiers are structured with F1 manufacturers in T1, recent F1 manufacturers in T2 along with WEC manufacturers, while T3 remains as being a case by case basis of manufacturers.
  • Drivers contracts: I'll probably be looking at opening out the market a bit more, allow the movement of drivers between teams mid season. Don't know, it might happen, but it's going to be hard and confusing to implement.
  • Something easier to implement will be a 'FFG Accreditation'. This will be an opinion based accreditation given by myself to each competitor based on whether they turn up or go MIA. This will give everyone an idea of who they are hiring or signing to. The one thing to be mindful of is that you don't want to completely ruin the reputation of someone such that they can't get a seat or can't hire anyone. Tricky.
Can't remember anything else off the top of my head, but that was the important stuff.

So just a season review to go, then the countdown begins!

I thought we already had a countdown haha

The only thing that I dislike about the rules is the thing about Honda. I understand why it was moved up a tier, but I don't think they should get the reduction. After all, there are more T2 engines available to choose from if needed.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what you meant with the Accreditation thing at the end.

I thought we already had a countdown haha

The only thing that I dislike about the rules is the thing about Honda. I understand why it was moved up a tier, but I don't think they should get the reduction. After all, there are more T2 engines available to choose from if needed.

Also, I have absolutely no idea what you meant with the Accreditation thing at the end.
So I've really given N-Tech no option with Honda, so if they still want a Honda engine, then it won't be $400. They were the best Honda engined team as well, so it's sort of fair enough. I won't go the whole way, but it's something. Of course, they are welcome to not use Honda next season as well.
If you have accreditation, it's basically just saying that you are an active member of the competition. No accreditation means you're not always active. So if someone is looking to join/hire you, then they know that the person might not turn up. I'm just unsure if it will produce a positive or negative effect on the series.

I'd like to think that this balances T2 and T3 engines. As the season progresses, a T3 engine is going to become damn fast (see ART and JHR this season just gone). You risk being on top early vs having a winning car later on.
Now my problem is finding a way to make T1 engines balanced enough that they're chosen.

(seeing I was halfway through writing this when Donald posted xD)
I think everything this season was fine as it is, I mean why change a working machine. (Talking about the engine rule, the driver rule I like).
It looked like it was working well, but had things gone their way, Apex would have rivalled the DTK S1. We just can't have an engine that can start ahead of everyone and then only pull away. We want to actually have an exciting season (like this one), and I don't want to risk that by having a chance at a team winning 17 races for absolutely no reason.

I'd like to think that this balances T2 and T3 engines. As the season progresses, a T3 engine is going to become damn fast (see ART and JHR this season just gone). You risk being on top early vs having a winning car later on.
Now my problem is finding a way to make T1 engines balanced enough that they're chosen.
Maybe tweak the values a bit, raise them with only 1 hp or something. The things with T1 engines are that they reliable/save picks, but in comparison with T2 engine they just don't have enough power to be competative if you're unlucky. I think people want more value for their money, and then the T2 is just the better (and concluding from last seasons the most succesfull) choice. I know from league that messing with values can quickly get out of hand (damn you kog'maw) but raising the basue values with 1, maybe at the cost of some CoF, makes T1 already a way more interesting choice.

Maybe tweak the values a bit, raise them with only 1 hp or something. The things with T1 engines are that they reliable/save picks, but in comparison with T2 engine they just don't have enough power to be competative if you're unlucky. I think people want more value for their money, and then the T2 is just the better (and concluding from last seasons the most succesfull) choice. I know from league that messing with values can quickly get out of hand (damn you kog'maw) but raising the basue values with 1 makes T1 already a more interesting choice
yeah, and something like that might be what's needed. As you said, I've got to be careful that I don't overdo the change.

Something easier to implement will be a 'FFG Accreditation'. This will be an opinion based accreditation given by myself to each competitor based on whether they turn up or go MIA. This will give everyone an idea of who they are hiring or signing to. The one thing to be mindful of is that you don't want to completely ruin the reputation of someone such that they can't get a seat or can't hire anyone. Tricky.
Wonder if quitting twice will have an effect on mine :laugh:

Oh yeah, what do people think about having tyre performance?
Nothing special, simply a random generation at season start like engines, but only a chance between 0 and +1 HP (independent for both Q and R e.g. +1 QHP +0 RHP)?
Something which would be interesting and fun (I think, it'll add another layer for analysis), but seeing that currently the tyres are basically just part of the livery and not paid for, it might be a bit too much?
Thoughts?

• Deleted member 161052

Nothing special, simply a random generation at season start like engines, but only a chance between 0 and +1 HP (independent for both Q and R e.g. +1 QHP +0 RHP)?
Something which would be interesting and fun (I think, it'll add another layer for analysis), but seeing that currently the tyres are basically just part of the livery and not paid for, it might be a bit too much?
Thoughts?
Sounds pretty interesting :thumbsup:
The random generation is what I like, but I won't think it's basically a livery part.

Thoughts?
Sounds fun, but with like 9 different suppliers to choose from would it make much sense to have 5 with 1/0 and 4 with 0/1? Don't think it's too much as it is only 1 HP.

Would be more interesting with 3HP (min 1 max 3) as it offers more combinations, but that's probably too much for no money, especially since you might end up with one with 2 less HP than others.

So you gotta remember guys that it can actually be any one of 4 combinations
0Q/0R, 1Q/0R, 1Q/1R, 0Q/1R
Probably didn't discuss that quite well enough.

But all things considered, for something that's free, it's going create changes. Two teams with Ferrari engines can have different starting values because of tyres. We can talk about how Pirellis are faster quali tyres whereas a Bridgestone is a better race tyre. How Continentals are useless compared to Yokohamas which are brilliant.
It offers something else to talk about, now instead of commentating about tyres in a tongue in cheek way, there is an actual reason to.

If it's approved, and successful, then maybe we can see a 0-1-2 range on them, maybe even start a market for them alongside engines? Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back