RD Caterham League

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Gents,

as some of you have been asking for this, and it now looks like it might be a workable concern as the numbers go up, let me hear your thoughts on what you'd like to see if this comes to fruition. It'll probably start early October to give me enough time to get things tested and sorted, and also to allow us to go up the food chain in terms of car experience.

I'm most interested to hear about the following things:
  • League vehicle - go with something we know, something new, how powerful, how driveable etc. (bear in mind we'll have finished the RS165 season by the time this starts, so we'll all have some experience with both the Superlight chassis and a higher revving, more powerful engine by then)
  • Team or single player - the mod has 21 drivers, 7 teams of 3 drivers? Single driver? I'm not really up for dicking about with the mod to try and expand the slots, tbh. I'd prefer to try and keep everything as simple as possible on that front as it's working so well up until now.
  • League event format - Number of rounds, number of races per round (1 long race with a pitstop, 2 races like currently, something else)
I've already got some ideas about how I think it should go, but it's not up to just me :D

Please let me know what you would like.

One last thing - I'm only going to take on board suggestions and thoughts from people who actually turn up and drive with us on a Friday, and they will take preference when/if sign ups start.

Aha! Success! Success I tell you! Just tested it out on a quick server with some AI, and IT LIVES!

We'll try it out Friday week in the next Academy Club night - not going to muck about with this Friday's season event on the last one of this series :good:

Thanks Paul and Alessandro - a piece of info each that helped the penny to drop :good:

I don't use the GridEdit tool Stu - and the reason is this - it works brilliantly if nobody leaves the server - but if somebody leaves between race 1 and race 2 it screws itself in a ball.

So I just reverse the grids randomly and manually, using the admin commands in chat. Takes 20 seconds.

Ryan,
If (as current) qualifying sessions are run for both races, then Stuart would surely only have to re-run GridEdit after Q2 to get a reasonable result yeah? Or are you thinking about people disconnecting after qualifying?

Joking aside, I got the Grid.ini file created by the GridEdit tool, I suppose there's nothing to stop me creating one of those via the tool, and editing it manually if someone's done a bunk between races, and then playing it in.

I can copy and paste the xml file from the remote server to my pc almost instantly, and run it pretty quickly (took all of 30 seconds from start to finish in my test), but if it needs to be run during the Warmup session (as I'm inferring from the above comments) I'd extend the Warmup sessions potential length, and then roll it manually if we're all done and ready.

We'll see how we go on Friday week.

Thanks again for all the pointers gents. :good:

OK, gents, I reckon I'm pretty settled on the format & locations, really just waiting on the results of a couple of tests now.

The most important is the vehicle, and we'll have a much better idea after Friday's event at Brands - fwiw I strongly suspect that the Superlight will get the thumbs up for the League vehicle.

I'll test out the top-6 reverso-grid on Friday as well, to see how that goes.

Expect to start seeing some RDCAT League admin threads popping up in the not-too-distant...

OK - after some extensive testing, I've made an executive decision.

We will be using the Superlight model as the League vehicle - it's an absolute joy to drive, no harder than the universally thumbsed-up RS140, a slightly more flexible engine, better on the brakes, marginally easier on tyres, a bit faster, eminently controllable.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back