RBR on Windows 7

Hi guys, really simple question: Are there any issues with running RBR on Windows 7 64bit?

Just wanted to ask the experts before buying the game because you know how older games can be on Vista/7... look at GT Legends, for example... :p

Seeing as the game is the best rally game ever AFAIK, and it's real cheap on ebay...

Thanks, FM96

When I installed it, it just did not work at all, I couldn't navigate menus as no text showed up - I had to go through some absolutely ludicrous patching process, but I can't remember what that was :(

That said, I could've just been doing it wrong :)

I have RBR (and RSRBR2011) running on Win 7 64 without any problems. I know plenty of others here also have it running ok.

The only advice I can offer, don't let it install to the default directory (Program Files), that can cause the usual problems with security issues. Install it to it's own directory eg. C:Richard Burns Rally.

If you also want to install RSRBR at any time, here is a Tutorial:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/rsrbr2011-installing-and-using-guidelines.12743/

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the replies, game should arrive in the post later this week, maybe even tomorrow if I'm lucky :D

I've had a go at the demo, it's great except for no FFB with my Logitech G25.

I've read that this is fixed in the full game if you install patches 1.01 and 1.02, is that correct? I assume there is no fix for the demo :p

FM96

Hi guys, really simple question: Are there any issues with running RBR on Windows 7 64bit?

Not a single issue for me, everything worked out of the box (+ patches).

Just wanted to ask the experts before buying the game because you know how older games can be on Vista/7... look at GT Legends, for example... :p

Digital version of GT Legends is also working fine without any interventions.

Does your wheel also rumble quite a lot on grave stages? I've lowered the FFB force in the game, but that also lowers the turning feeling of the wheel. But it rumbles worse than rF.

It depends on the Stage, the car, and sometimes on the setup.
Some stages have a pretty rough surface, causing some rumble.
I've noticed that some cars rumble more than others, but sometimes I can improve that with some setup adjustments.
I have my FFB turned down slightly too, but I always prefer slightly less FFB strength in all of my SimRacing.

Hi again,

Have the game now, and it's great :D I mean, it's hard, but that's the point, isn't it? :)

Have FFB and everything working, except for one thing - I know that RBR doesn't support widescreen (I'm running 2560x1440) but if i try to make it run in 1920x1440 (the highest 4:3 resolution that would fit in my screen) by editing the RichardBurnsRally,ini file it stretches the image anyway... does anyone know a way around this? If not, that's fine, 1600x1200 still looks pretty good :cool: (especially as up until about 2 months ago I was playing in 1280x800 on a laptop :p )

I will be checking out RSRBR later too, after playing some more of the 'vanilla' game.

Thanks for your help/support/confirmation guys,

FerrariMan96

EDIT: OK I lied, there are two things: The second is alt+tab, but AFAGK (As Far As Google Knows :p ) this is just an issue that has no solution... Please let me know here in the thread though if you know of a solution :D

I know that RBR doesn't support widescreen (I'm running 2560x1440) but if i try to make it run in 1920x1440 (the highest 4:3 resolution that would fit in my screen) by editing the RichardBurnsRally,ini file it stretches the image anyway... does anyone know a way around this?

If you install "FixUp Plug-In", it allows you to correct the Aspect Ratio. It also adds lots of other useful things too.
Details here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/download-rbr-fixup-patch-plugin-1-7.40294/

Hopefully it is in the RD Downloads ( the current download link is outdated).

If you install RSRBR later, it includes Fix Up.

The second is alt+tab, but AFAGK (As Far As Google Knows :p ) this is just an issue that has no solution... Please let me know here in the thread though if you know of a solution :D

Unfortunately no solution to this that I'm aware of.
I use Windowed Mode to avoid this issue if I want drop back to the desktop.

I know that RBR doesn't support widescreen (I'm running 2560x1440) but if i try to make it run in 1920x1440 (the highest 4:3 resolution that would fit in my screen) by editing the RichardBurnsRally,ini file it stretches the image anyway... does anyone know a way around this? If not, that's fine, 1600x1200 still looks pretty good :cool: (especially as up until about 2 months ago I was playing in 1280x800 on a laptop :p )

FerrariMan96

EDIT: OK I lied, there are two things: The second is alt+tab, but AFAGK (As Far As Google Knows :p ) this is just an issue that has no solution... Please let me know here in the thread though if you know of a solution :D

Installing FixUp 1.7 will do the trick.
Then triple screen, or better say: any resolution, will be supported.

Settings as follows:

In RichardBurnsRally.ini:
XRes=2560
YRes=1440
Fullscreen=false

In FixUp.ini:
fullscreenWindow=1
fixAspectRatio=1
fixVSync=1
vSyncActive=1
centerMenu=1

One thing to remember: if centerMenu=1 an internal view width of 4/3*YRes=1920 will be used, so digidash.ini/minidash.ini apply for the HUD positioning and layout.

Running in fullscreen mode is generally no good idea. The device (graphics adapter) gets lost if you switch to another application.
Even any simple popup of windows ("Update", "Defender", virus scanner, whatever) warps you out of the game.
No way to get back in there.

@Senad
FixUp has no issues with disappearing dialog texts.
This is an issue of the original RBR: in some resolutions (eg. 1280x720) the texts vanish.
Try this by removing FixUp.dll and running in Fullscreen=false mode, XRes=1280, YRes=720.
With XRes=1281 it works again. That's part of the RBR weirdness.

@Senad
FixUp has no issues with disappearing dialog texts.
This is an issue of the original RBR: in some resolutions (eg. 1280x720) the texts vanish.
Try this by removing FixUp.dll and running in Fullscreen=false mode, XRes=1280, YRes=720.
With XRes=1281 it works again. That's part of the RBR weirdness.
Yeah, sorry, didn't mean it to sound like FixUp had issues, I tried it with plain ol' RichardBurnsRally.ini a while back.
It can be done through FixUp as well, and it works? Great, will try it now, thanks :)

Useful info here, I'll update the little FAQ we put together. Also have to change all the links because of the new forum.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 142 13.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 105 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.8%