RBR Driving Tips

Hey there guys!

Just thought about having a thread to post our RBR Driving tips, techniques,etc; and even to ask others about specific techniques and tips.
This would improve our Rally Clubs and Championships experience as they would be more competitive. It would also help many "RBR starters".
It would be a kind of RD Rally School :p

What do you think about it ??

So, I'll start:
-Look to the corner apex when turning;
-Concentrate and pay attention to the PACENOTES;
-DON'T floor the throttle and try to reach full speed everywhere;
-Brake early and gently.

Q:
-How do you guys when its time to change gear? I try to do it by hearing the car sound, but on some cars it is hard :S
-Enter on turns with a gear that's hitting the rev and change to a higher gear after exiting the turn or enter the corner already on the other gear?
-Slide/Drift or go smoothly?

Definitely listen to Chelton's second suggestion there, i have the habit of taking every single jump flatout, and for sure, i fly 30+ metres most of the time, and it looks damn awesome! specially on the replays, actually i have a blog i called in honor of jumping, it's :

http://Rallyjump.blogspot.com

You may want to check it, jumping is the most amazing part of Rallying for me, but coming back to RBR. To me there are 3 ways of doing a jump.

Method 1 .- just let go off the accelerator before the jump, and then accelerate after landing, this is ussefull in tanner's jump, newbobs, and such.

Method 1.5 .- brake before the jump, usefull for mineshaft and those reversed stages crazy jumps.

Method 2 .- not usefull at all, but japanese fans love it, go flatout and right before the jump Slam the brakes!! that will make your car do a beautiful nosedive, not recommended on tarmac. Good in chirdonhead for example.

Method 3 .- M's favorite jump, accelerate 100% flatout and do the jump, if you're a good driver, you will have enough speed to fly more than 10 meters atleast, if you are incredibly fast, you will fly 20 meters, if you are me, you will fly 30 metres ;) definitely not recommended anywere, i just broke my Evo 7 in the evo challenge by doing this on snow and a crazy jump. But it looks f%"ng amazing!

I know i wrote 4

cheers, Seb's a Rally driver, not a magician, a very very consistent Rally driver ;)

Method 4 .- Salto a la Novikov, a type of jump only master Evgeny can do, and me sometimes, and maybe someone with a citroën C4, i have done it only twice, no video but i can tell you it is completely possible in RBR :) only with the C4 i think

Here is a picture of me doing it in a RS Rally (not completely)

44270912.jpg

and a pretty good jump in my DS3

richardburnsrallysse201.png

Great explanation there Manuel
thumb.gif

Method 1 .- just let go off the accelerator before the jump, and then accelerate after landing, this is ussefull in tanner's jump, newbobs, and such.

Method 1.5 .- brake before the jump, usefull for mineshaft and those reversed stages crazy jumps.
Yeah, was about method 1.5 that I was talking about. It's the one I use. Will give the method 1 a try.
These two methods looks like the safest!

Method 4 .- Salto a la Novikov, a type of jump only master Evgeny can do, and me sometimes, and maybe someone with a citroën C4, i have done it only twice, no video but i can tell you it is completely possible in RBR :) only with the C4 i think

WOOW! This is awesome. Must try it; not in a competition of curse :D

Edit: *Just checked your blog. It have great videos! (I've been looking on your lines, braking points, etc). Hope you keep updating it with new videos

- If you're going too wide in a turn, tap the handbrake to get back on track (don't do this on very high speed);
- Stay on the opposite side you're going to turn to. e.g. If you have a fast-left, start turning from the right side of the track and aim to the apex; instead of starting to turn when you're already on the left side.

WRC Handbrake instructions:
. This was very useful to me, check it out

Manuel you are not alone mate. i have been trying to overcome that and somehow i have. i hardly retire or crash when doing public sessions. i can risk a lot and still get away with it on public sessions. but when doing a championship. u never used to finish in one peace. same stages that i was going flat out without mistakes. but during a championship. i could feel my hands shaking. but then mow i have kind of overcome it. basically after the first stage. i always just try to put my self in a condition that its not a bid deal even if i crash its just a game.. and it has worked for me.

When I used to do karting, I was taught to always look to the next corner and to concentrate on that and I still do that.
Also, one of the most important things in rally is to listen to your pacenotes. I failed horribly last season in RDRC because I sill hadn't learned to listen to my pacenotes. And talking about RDRC or any long rallies, take first stages after the break easily and then speed up your pace the closer the next break.

So true about pacenotes. When I started RBR I was driving it like rFactor or similar games - looking out for upcoming corner and never listened to pacenotes. Now I`ve started to listen, it really helps. Not only to avoid crashing but it also helps you to speed up in cases when you cant see the corner very well - listening to pacenotes you know what should you do - slow down or push it.

Anyone here knows something about gearing in S1600 and S2000 cars? At which revs should I shift up? I`ve learned the perfect time for shift-ups in my N14 but Im not going to drive that car in next season so Im interested about those two classes.

Anyone here knows something about gearing in S1600 and S2000 cars? At which revs should I shift up? I`ve learned the perfect time for shift-ups in my N14 but Im not going to drive that car in next season so Im interested about those two classes.
I've tested this on the Grande Punto S2000, shifting when the rev light turn on and shifting right on the end of the rev (usually the you'll know it by the sound), and I ended up with MUCH better results when using the 2nd option: shifting on the rev limit.
But sometimes I shift to higher gear on some tricky corners to eliminate wheel spinning then I go back to the early gear.

I think that Warren wrote on his first post that on the S2000's he always keeps the revs high because these beasts really need it. (Actually was thanks to his post that I started shifting like this too :D)

It may be the same for the S1600's.

BTW: which of the S2000's will you drive ?

I think that Warren wrote on his first post that on the S2000's he always keeps the revs high because these beasts really need it.

Yep, for me it was very important to keep the revs high for maximum power. I usually shift at the rev limit or just before it, unless it is a very slippery stage and the wheels are spinning too much, then I might short shift a little bit. If you let the revs die through a turn, these cars are pretty slow to power back up again, so the trick is to avoid bogging them down.
I use the engine sound to determine my gear change point. Some of the S2000 cars have very close gear ranges esp the Peugeot (2nd, 3rd, 4th), so be prepared to flick through the gears fairly quickly in those cars.

ill be on the Peugeot 206 i think its has the best physics and for me i dont need to do extensive setups to be able to go flatout and control it. so ill be on it for many races. on Rallyesim. it has put me on 17th out of 300+ players on rallyesim and for sure its the best. and another one is the Punto. if you can do some good setups then go for the Fiat Punto s2000. it is fast and flamboyant. if i could get or build good setups i would have gone for the Punto definatly. its my car i have fninished the season with. but i have done testin gon the new rscenter. and found i have more control with the 207. so far i think 07 is good..

Very good article Chelton, thanks for posting the link.
Excellent tips for driving techniques with very clear explanations of the physics in play. :)

It also confirms the incredible realism of the RBR code in matching the physics. ;)

I make mine fly

-Guys i have a question - nerves- i always get very very nervous when about to start a Rally and that makes me do mistakes. Could you please tell me how to control that? i know it isn't very related to RBR, but i think it may be useful to have here.
I don't if this will help at all but here it goes.
I used to race Grand Prix legends for years and I always used to get quite tense before the qualifying and the race(both done in the same session) I found having a red hot bath an hour before I was due to start made me much more relaxed and I felt much comfortable when driving "on the limit" it made concentrating on driving at lot easier aswell.

If that fails try vodka ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back