RAW/HDR textures

RAW files allow for a far higher (potential) dynamic range than normal images, even uncompressed ones, and thus would allow far more flexibility with ToD and weather settings. For evening/night, the darker end of the RAW data could be used, as opposed to daylight where the brighter part of the RAW data could be used. At present the textured materials just get darker and lighter by their shaders. But with RAW, the texture itself could actively change its dynamics to match the lighting conditions. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, I've had a few and might be talking a big bag of arse, but I feel some kind of discussion about it could be worthwhile.

I think the current solution is as good as it gets. A lot of tweaking the default values is needed though, to make things look good. For example, nights are too bright, in my opinion.

I haven't heard of any 3d apps that would use RAW format.

Anyway, I think we already have everything we need for 0.9 final!

HDR is a solution to the problem, but the problem would be ideally solved procedurally.

Current daytime 'blue' is generated dynamically by mie/ray, and thus the night time gradient should be generated dynamically, rather than being texture based.

Right now it seems Racer is best placed to do dynamic TOD through the main daytime period. OR, it can do a fixed TOD at any dusk/dawn/daytime period.
Night time, or transitions to and from it, are not ideal yet, so best avoided really.

A shame the night time sky wasn't finished off a bit more, but it's kinda been left in limbo with no nice solution. Clouds are the same. They work 'ok' during the day, but at dusk/dawn they don't pick up the sun colour or direction and look very fake.

There is lots I'd like to add/fix, but right now HDR/RAW textures are the last of them. What we really need is what we have working right first... no good having a nice night time texture if it's 50meg big, and can't transition into it elegantly, and is best done like daytime skies with mie/ray type systems anyway :D

Dave

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing