Rallying a Go-Kart

Some of my shenanigans outside of racing sims. This will probably blow up at some point so I figured I'd post it here to answer questions on a more personal level.

There's three of us that make up "Holland Motorsports", two drivers and one manager/planner in charge of driving our chase vehicle. We currently own two karts, one of which being a 125cc CRG Rotax racing kart from the early 2000's (in the shop for repairs at the moment), and another one (featured in the video) powered by a Honda GX160 engine, top speed is about 80 km/h.

We race both legally and illegally, simply because race days shouldn't just be limited to Fridays, Saturday and Sundays. More than enough precautions are taken to ensure the safety of ourselves and others, although there is still room for error.

Racing sims help immensely for this sort of thing. I'm on rFactor and RBR for a good 30 minutes before I even THINK of getting in one of our karts to do this. If I was tasked with naming a sim that re-creates the handling of the blue kart as accurately as possible, I'd honestly give you Milestone's WRC 3 as an answer. Even on gravel or uneven tarmac, with racing slicks, the kart is incredibly responsive. As evidenced by the video, I have zero issues putting the kart exactly where I want it to go. The challenge is stringing it all together and loading it into the back of the truck without getting caught.

wmplayer 2013-10-13 23-45-17-94.jpg

My only advice to those who suddenly want to attempt this: take precautions. Our routes are planned, we have a basic in-car communication system using the hands-free iPhone headset, we walk each route thoroughly to take note of any potential hazards, and we look over the kart before and after every run to make damn sure the throttle wont stick or a tire wont blow at 80km/h.

Certainly hope you all enjoyed the video. This sort of thing is possible in Canada because virtually everybody owns some sort of motorbike or quad, and as a result the police are very lenient to this sort of thing.

Unfortunately my parents are not big car people and I was hit and thrown out of my house for uploading this. Yes, the police are involved, but im still sleeping in my car for the time being.

Consider this my audition tape. Will drive for food.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 244 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 227 13.9%