Rally - The Ashes - Mon 28th & Tues 29th June 2010

I don't use the on screen signs (at least I don't think I do :D)... I just listen to what the co-driver has to say and keep my eyes glued to the road ahead. This rally was so much fun (I love these cars). The cars have enough power to be fun but allow you to enjoy the experience more than when you are scared of dying in the more powerful beasts.

I think I had some competitive stage splits this week, and it was more enjoyable knowing that I was racing Krister (personal BFR battle :D).

Not sure what happened with SS8 (don't know if the result didn't register or if I just got confused). I didn't want to hit go again, as I have done that in the past (run the stage twice by mistake) and ended up with a time that was double what it should have been.

On the very last stage the on screen corner indicators were messed up. Codriver said left (or right) correctly but the indicators was showing opposite. Made it a bit tricky to drive:)

Ya, I noticed it before too... Seeing one on the screen, hearing something else in the headphones.

And medium left quite often turns out to be fast or flat, which is not a problem. When it's the other way round, then I'm in trouble.

Mark said:
Not sure what happened with SS8 (don't know if the result didn't register or if I just got confused). I didn't want to hit go again, as I have done that in the past (run the stage twice by mistake) and ended up with a time that was double what it should have been.
You have a "retired" next to your name :S

Ya, I noticed it before too... Seeing one on the screen, hearing something else in the headphones.
I already now what portion of the track you're talking about - is it about two consecutive "Ks" (or twos) in one of the Aussie stages? The notes are right, but the corners are very close one after another and they seem wrong.

Hard to compete with Ozzie guys on they're "double" home turf (timeslot and rally stages). I managed to retire twice (SS8 was utterly my fault, but first one was completely ridiculous IMO, car just stopped (oil pressure was fine) less than 100m before the finish :/). But managed to post two nice times, that's my only consolation prize, I'm eager to see how they are compared with Rick's and Euro pack's ones :).

I really enjoyed this one, these cars are a delight to drive. They handle so predictably without the huge power kick of the WRC cars. I found I could keep pushing harder than I expected and it seemed "safer", not as nerve wracking.
I had plenty of luck tonight, twice spinning off track into the scrub, once hitting a tree sideways, but on both occasions I somehow bounced back onto the track facing the right way (and the car was still driveable). Maybe the Polo is built tough.
SS08 was rather tricky, the grip level was very poor and it turned into a survival run.

Bit quiet on TS tonight, but thanks to Damien and Glenn (while he lasted :confused: ). Good to have Lukasz join us too, pity you had a couple of crashes, you thumped us in a couple of Stages.

Bad luck for Cam with an injured back, hope you recover quickly Cam.

I'll leave you to post the results Senad, you are getting good at it. :tongue:

Nah, Falstone II, corner symbols aren't positioned propperly.

BTW, I also noticed (and was caught out) a few dubious pacenotes tonight, but it may be because the pacenotes in the game are designed for the WRC cars, and these S2000 cars can take the turns a little faster.
I tested Krister's findings on SS08 (in practice) and yep, there were a couple of 3D pacenote turns that were wrong. Fortunately, I only rely on the voice Pacenotes which were always saying the correct direction. :thumb:

I also found that these S2000 cars are pretty quick over the stages too, despite the lack of power. Some of my times were not much slower than my best WRC times, so the handling of these smaller cars makes up for the slight lack of power.

I plan to run these cars again next week, maybe trying them out on some snow. :ups:

EDIT: I also used Rick's set up advice (earlier in the Forum) and applied it to the Polo. It felt very nice indeed Rick, thanks mate.

Overall Rally Results

20100628rdrallytheashes.png

Very close at the top, just over 3 seconds between P1 and 2.

Nice spread on the stage wins:

Warren Dawes: 2 stage wins :star::star:
Lukasz Demolin: 2 stage wins :star::star:
Rick Bamford: 1 stage win :star:
Damien Jones: 1 stage win :star:
Senad Subasic: 1 stage win :star:
Glenn Morris: 1 stage win :star:

SS5 was extremely close, 5 drivers within 3 seconds :o

Nice first rally here for Ludovic, EU rally win, and P4 overall.
Congrats on the win Warren, and also Rick and Damien for the podium finishes.

Great cars, loved the stages, thanks for organizing it, can't wait for the next one :)

Nice, two wins, one by quite a margin (4s) over Rick. That's motivating :).

I admint I'm only confident in those cars on some stages (UK suits my style, maybe could squeeze them a bit in USA). Australia still overwhelms me, haven't really tried them on the snow. Gotta practice just a little bit before next week, got only 30 mins this time ;).

Congrats to all that haven't crashed out :D. And thanks to Warren & Senad for making things work.

Thanks again to Senad for his help with this event and pulling the results together.
I hope you all enjoyed this Rally, I really think these cars are well suited to RBR.

A surprising win for me overall, but a bit lucky too. I had one of those rare Rally's where I didn't damage the car much, but had two extremely lucky "escapes". Looks like Rick was set for a "hattrick" of wins (would have been appropriate in a Rally titled "The Ashes") but I nicked it on the last Stage. You shouldn't have given me that setup Rick. :tongue:

Great to see the Stage wins shared around, and nice to see Senad grabbing his first stage win in the treacherous and foggy New Bobs II Stage. :thumb:

Big welcome to our new drivers, Ludovic and Toby, hope to see you regularly with us. Very impressive debut from Ludovic too. :)

Thanks to all who joined, we'll run these cars again next week to test them further, but for those who want to get in early testing, it will be a snowy affair in Finland. :cool: (but you'll have to select a different car from the class this time).

See you all at our next Rally, although I may be in doubt for this one due to having a house full of guests for the next two weeks, including the grandkids. :love:

Next Rally should be posted in the next day or so. :rally: :ups:

Warren has applied different skins to his cars. Just do a search for rbr skins and you'll find a fair selection. The install process is tricky, I believe...

There is a big selection of skins at the Rallyesim website, and applying the skins is fairly easy with the Skin Manager included in RSRBR2010.

I'll try to do a small tutorial and post it in the RBR Forum over the next week or so. There is a Tutorial for the Skin Manager at Rallyesim though.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.0%