Rally - Fernando's Rally Challenge 2 - Monday 11th & Tuesday 12th June 2012

I noticed you have the USZ starting at 22:15 GMT Then is should be 6:15 EST and not 6:45 correct?

Sounds like I cocked something up in my frantic efforts to setup the new Session yesterday. Sorry guys, and thanks to Senad for correcting.
Hopefully it doesn't affect anyone joining on time.
6.15PM EST was the correct intended time, and that is what the Server was set for.

Results may be a little later than usual, the new Session puts us out of phase for bed times etc, Senad has exams today, and my modem has decided to play up this morning, so my internet keeps dying.
We'll do our best but you may have to wait much longer for results. :unsure:

well I was able to get online and race, so I count that as a victory to me. hahaha

The actual racing was tough. I'm pretty sure the other guy in the session is an alien. I saw really fast times keep getting posted and that made me try to push a little harder than I should have. As a result I had an incident of some sort in just about every stage. bisanne and joux verte gave me a lot of trouble today, I had practiced them both and felt like I could at least finish them but that didn't happen :thumbsdown:

was a lot of fun though, glad I figured out how to do it!

Thanks for this rally...........It was a very difficult one. But i get true almost clean. I had a spin in the very narrow part of Bisanne so i struggled a long time to turn back the car in the right direction. And i was very careful on some other stages. But no CFH and retierment so i'm happy.
John was on the same session and was driving good but had trouble in some stages at the end.

Overall Rally Results

E2X8J.jpg

d5KDD.jpg

(Click on the image for a larger view)

Congrats Magnar, Fernando and Warren

Stage wins:
Magnar Haarstadsveen: 5 stage wins
Fernando Agapito: 1 stage win
Jack Hintz: 1 stage win
Warren Dawes: 1 stage win

Thanks to everyone who joined, and thanks to Fernando for the podium presentation.

Please let me know if you notice any mistakes.

:coffee:... Oh that big mistake on SS06 really cost me a lot :D, Magnar also did a mistake there so I kinda threw away the opportunity.

Well congrats Magnar and Warren! Thanks to everyone who took the challenge and see you next week on RDRC Round 6.

Congratulations Magnar, yet another dominant performance in a very tough Rally. Beating Fernando in his own evil challenge is quite a feat. ;)
Well done to Fernando for a close P2.

A very good result for Jack too, well done mate. Almost had our first Kiwi on the podium. :)

Magnar again claiming the lion's share of Stage wins but Fernando, Jack, and I stole one each.

Big welcome to John making his debut with us, and a good consistent drive too. They won't come any more difficult than this one, I promise. :whistling:

Lots of Red Ink this time but it was to be expected, with only two drivers escaping unscathed.
Thanks to the brave souls who took up this Challenge, maybe the difficulty kept the numbers down this time.

Thanks to Fernando for designing this brutal Rally and providing the Podium graphic, Senad for his Admin help, and Damien for the banner.

The Rally Club has a break next week for the RDRC Round 6, good luck to all drivers.
The next Club Rally will be 25th & 26th June with a special rally being planned by Jeremy. Fans of RWD should be waiting in anticipation for that one. ;)

I had a ton of fun guys! I was really expecting a better result from myself in most of the stages. I pretty much equaled my best in ss1, but 2+3 were well off my best times, bumps in both tracks caught me out and in ss2 I missed a turn and reversed into a spectator, so auto CFH. I think I just pushed a little too hard on most of the tracks. It was really hard not to push when I looked at the times magnar was putting up :rolleyes:

What view do you guys normally use to race? I was using the bumper cam and it felt pretty good, it's sometimes hard to tell where the limits of the car are though. Also, is there a reverse view? I had a lot of problems reversing tonight with no mirror, hit a spectator in ss2, hit a tree in ss3, fell off the side of the road in ss6 and had to CFH.

Then on the Monte Carlo stage, I was hoping to be ok, but the car was horrible, sliding everywhere almost uncontrollable.

Time to share some useful info.
I found the secret to the grip problem for SS07. We needed wet tarmac tyres.
This morning, I was still staggered at how bad the grip was on the Monte Carlo stage, especially after seeing Fernando's times for that stage. He was more than 40 secs quicker than me by sector 2 :confused: (and I hadn't crashed until the very end of the stage). Surely I wasn't that slow, and usually I'm ok on Monte.
I had never driven Monte Carlo in Bad Conditions before, so chose the usual default Snow tyres. A huge mistake. :rolleyes:.

Today I tried the stage using tarmac wets, and what an improvement. I now had grip, the car was driveable, and my time dropped by more than a minute (now competitive with Fernando and Magnar). Looking at the results, I'll guess that Magnar and Fernando were the only ones to use wet tarmac tyres, and the rest of us struggled hopelessly on snow tyres.

Soooo.... Useful tip, for Monte Carlo Bad Conditions, use tarmac wets. For any damp conditions ( and maybe even dry), always run a recce run to test tyre choices. For good weather, snow tyres usually work fine.

Just wanted to share this in case it helps others. ;)

Time to share some useful info.
I found the secret to the grip problem for SS07. We needed wet tarmac tyres.
This morning, I was still staggered at how bad the grip was on the Monte Carlo stage, especially after seeing Fernando's times for that stage. He was more than 40 secs quicker than me by sector 2 :confused: (and I hadn't crashed until the very end of the stage). Surely I wasn't that slow, and usually I'm ok on Monte.
I had never driven Monte Carlo in Bad Conditions before, so chose the usual default Snow tyres. A huge mistake. :rolleyes:.

Today I tried the stage using tarmac wets, and what an improvement. I now had grip, the car was driveable, and my time dropped by more than a minute (now competitive with Fernando and Magnar). Looking at the results, I'll guess that Magnar and Fernando were the only ones to use wet tarmac tyres, and the rest of us struggled hopelessly on snow tyres.

Soooo.... Useful tip, for Monte Carlo Bad Conditions, use tarmac wets. For any damp conditions ( and maybe even dry), always run a recce run to test tyre choices. For good weather, snow tyres usually work fine.

Just wanted to share this in case it helps others. ;)

as a matter of fact I used wet tarmac tires as well, But my best time there was close to jacks, more than a minute off of the leaders, and of course in the actual rally I hit a guard rail and wrecked my engine.

wet tarmac tires meant that I was really fast through the middle section and on the ascent, but coming down the mountain was still super slow and slippy, here's my stage notes:

SS07 - France - Joux Verte - Monte-Carlo, Bad, Day

1st---- Almost no traction, brakes lock quickly. 9:07
2nd---- Still very little traction, brakes are better 8:39
but still not good. try wet tarmac tires.
Fast finish after village hairpin. wooden barriers
will ALWAYS dig the front end in and cause damage.
final-- DEFINITELY take wet tarmac tires, less rear brakes 7:57
be VERY careful on the tight descent, it's snow
covered and extremely slippery, very hard to slow
down for hairpins.

here's my stage notes:

That's an interesting idea to make Stage notes, good thinking John.

Here's my thoughts as I ran the Stage:

"Looking forward to this stage, I usually go ok on Monte, I know Joux Verte fairly well, and I'm slightly in front of Fernando overall, close finish coming up".
Off we go, into first turn and slide off into bank. "Ok better be careful".
Turn 2, almost spin around, "grip seems bad".
Turn 3, "yikes, grip is worse than I expected".
Turn 4, spin 180 deg, "gawd, this is damned slippery".
"Back off and be veeeeery careful".
First left hander on fast section, slide off track and down embankment. "Where the hell is the grip".
Tippy toe around the rest of the fast section but still bounce off the bank.
Brake waaaay early for tight left hander into downhill section, slide 40 metres past turn off. "Yikes (expletive)".
Crawl around downhill sections, never game to get past 2nd gear.
Another 180 spin downhill "(more expletives)".
Creep past the wodden fence in 1st gear, still just missed hitting it. "(damn you Fernando)"
Into last hairpin, "looks like I'm going to make it, phew!"
Tap tree on inside just before hairpin, engine dies. "Oh no, not now, after all I've just been through".
Car won't move, looks like it's over. "(more expletives), the finish is only just down that hill a few hundred metres".
Retires. "Well, at least that torture is over".
Mental note, "never let Fernando design another Rally"

Only joking Fernando. :p

The cockpit views in most of the RSRBR cars are much better than some of the other Track Racing Sims (eg. Race 07). There are a few bad ones, so with them I'll use bumper view, but usually I find it hard to judge where the car is in relation to objects and have more hits with bumper view.
I know I can use CamHack to mod the poor cockpit views, but I've had too many bad experiences with CamHack to be bothered with it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 39.1%