Raikkonen to Miss Final Two Races of 2013

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Raikkonen to Miss Final Two Races of 2013

Lotus Team Principal Eric Boullier has confirmed to the BBC that their star driver Kimi Raikkonen will not compete in the final two races this season to have surgery on his back.

There has been much speculation as to whether the Finn would race after controversy surrounding his pay and an apparent breakdown in relations after the Indian Grand Prix.

Raikkonen had confirmed that he has not been paid at all so far this year when speaking to the media in Abu Dhabi and had considered not...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what to think. If he didn't want to drive because of the fact his salary isn't paid just say so.

Reading his earlier interviews this week he didn't mention any physical trouble. Bit of a lame excuse now all of a sudden.

Yeah, very sugar-coated. If he indeed had a problem with his back, they would've tried to make him fit whatsoever and maybe miss out on one race only?

Lotus' next year driver lineup is a combo I until today have never heard of. Is this spread in Great Britain? @Jason Noble
Nice article! Thanks for your work!

If I remember correctly Kimi almost skipped Singapore because of his back issues. He was all drugged up before the race and he was in pain the last half of the GP. I do not think that the back issue alone is an explanation why he won't be appearing for the last two races. I also don't think that the payment alone was the problem, but the combination of the two is what made his Lotus exit reasonable.
@Andreas - That combo has been talked about for a few GPs now. Pastor, while not the best driver, has all that Venezuela gas money behind him. Nico is favoured, but cannot bring as much cash to the team. I have also heard people throwing around the idea of Massa here and there.

I should clarify that as far as I am aware it is either Maldonado or Hulkenberg for the Lotus seat next year as Grosjean is pretty much guaranteed to stay since he has upped his game. It is also my understanding that Massa was out of the running for Lotus now, at least that was what I had heard last but again nothing conclusive on that front either. But it wouldn't be like F1 to be a sport all about speculation now would it!?

For my knowledge, indeed Grosjean seems to be staying with Lotus while maybe Hulkenberg will have the other seat.
Maldonado may be leaving Williams, where Massa is a cancidate but was expecting a million dollars payment for a ride in a DTM Mercedes. The petrol dollars of Maldonado could stay at Williams no matter if Maldonado stays (what I can't believe), but there is some issue in Venezuela atm.

I am sorry for leading us all off topic!

For Raikkönen, I do think payment and health combined made him sit out and not try at least.

probably better for everyone this way
next season Kimi is the competition to beat
so the last few steps they make at lotus ,they can keep secret this way

but considering ,how much money flows in the F1
they should be ashamed at Lotus for not paying the driver,especially one that helped them up in the ranks like kimi did
very weird behaviour in an environment with usually strikt rules about everything

then again ,if this is their buisnessmodel,,i might buy myself a nice lotus ,,but pay for it sometime in the future ,, if all ;-)

I inderstand Boullier's reasoning as well that their primary goal is to pay the mechanics and the rest of the crew first that have mouths to feed. Kimi has earned more than enough during his career to be hungry.

Still contract is a contract, and they have to fulfill their obligations in the end of course.

Wise lesson for the future to stop overpaying drivers.

@ Bram Hengeveld

Kimi is payed per point. Kimi earned much more points then they expected. They expected him to score 100 points last year, but that was way more. So Lotus should have thougt better before making the contract

So sad he was in battle for third with Hamillton Rosberg and Webber. Sebs got the tittle and Alonso are locked 1st and 2nd so third is the only rational battle. And AMG Mercedes may beat Ferrari to 2nd in Constructors. Kimi's ready to drive the red car next year any how.

Jon Noble/Autosport have just announced that Heikki in on his way to Austin to drive for Lotus.

Apparently just a few small contract pieces to finalise before it's announced tomorrow morning.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back