Raikkonen: Perez Should Be Punched In The Face

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen blasted McLaren’s Sergio Perez, claiming he should be ‘punched in the face’ for a series of gaffes at the Monaco Grand Prix.

The Finn accused Perez of ‘driving like an idiot’ after a collision heading into the chicane while Raikkonen was defending fifth place.

The McLaren new boy made a series of aggressive overtaking moves in the Principality, and asked if the other drivers would talk to Perez, Lotus driver Raikkonen said: ‘That won’t help. Maybe someone should punch him in the face.’ As reported by BBC Sport

The Mexican’s attempt to pass saw Raikkonen suffer a rear-tyre puncture that dropped him right down the field.

‘Actually idiot is a nice word compared with what he really said,’ said Lotus team boss Eric Boullier when asked about Raikkonen’s radio outburst.

The 2007 world champion, who had started the day four points behind Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel and ended it 21 adrift but still second overall, pitted for supersoft tyres and passed six cars in the final five laps to finish tenth.

That was his 23rd successive race in the points, one short of Michael Schumacher’s all-time record.

‘He hit me from behind and that’s about all there is to it. If he thinks it’s my fault that he came into the corner too fast then he obviously has no idea what he’s talking about. It’s not the first time he’s hit someone in the race. He seems to expect people to be always looking at what he might do, then move over or go straight on if he comes into the corner too quick and isn’t going to make it without running into someone. Because of one stupid move from Sergio we’ve lost a lot of points to Sebastian in the championship and you can’t afford to lose ground like that.’ added Raikkonen.

Perez retired after the incident, having also come close to collisions with his own team mate Jenson Button and Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso.

But he was in no mood to accept responsibility for colliding with Raikkonen’s car.

‘I overtook Fernando and Jenson in the same place, so at the end of the day you have to give some space. If you look at the accident I hit the wall on entry of the corner, so Kimi gave me no room at all and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. If someone could have avoided the accident then it was Kimi and not myself.’
View the Post on the Blog

I really don't like this kind of overtaking. It's completely unfair on the other driver. Either you get out of my way or I crash into you, that's the idea behind this style of driving. There is no way for the other driver to defend because if he does then this happens.

Since Sunday's race, every time someone online make a silly move, and we all know it happens a lot with online racing, I think to myself it might be Perez driving.lol
Perez as no business driving a F1, hopefully McLaren understands their mistake and choose a real talent to drive their car next to Jenson.

Perez does need to calm it down. I do like seeing him going for it, but sometimes he is risking his car and others, McLaren need to tell him this. Maybe he will mature and calm it down, on the surface McLaren will back him, behind the door it could be different.

I was surprised hearing of Perez joining Team McLaren and the jury is still out.

I really don't like this kind of overtaking. It's completely unfair on the other driver. Either you get out of my way or I crash into you, that's the idea behind this style of driving. There is no way for the other driver to defend because if he does then this happens.
completely agree with you.

biggest problem in my opinion is that race control backs him up. Alonso had to cut the chicane to avoid him and had to give back the position on the track to Perez...

The decision that Alonso had to give the position to Perez was a complete JOKE as that was the only thing that could prevent a collision. Kind of ironic that it was Perez himself to prove later on what would happen if the attacked driver didn't react like Alonso. One has to be incredibly stupid not to realize that the move was nothing but nonesense.
Conclusion: Thumbs down for race control for supporting such manouvres and an even bigger thumbs down for Perez' stupid driving style and the biggest thumbs down for his inability to realize his mistake.

‘... so at the end of the day you have to give some space. Kimi gave me no room at all and there was nothing I could do to avoid it. If someone could have avoided the accident then it was Kimi and not myself.’

Really?...
I like Perez...but this comment is asinine at best.
Any driver...whether you are in a junior formula or not, knows that an attempt to pass has to take into consideration an outcome if it doesn't come off as planned.
His attempt to pass as the cars were turning left into the chicane...from that far behind Kimi was never going to work. It was stupid and lost him points. He obviously did not have on the "thinking" cap for that move.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back