Racing rules and code of conduct @ RD Racing Club - Club racers, please read this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denis Betty

The older I get, the better I was.
Staff
Premium
I'm delighted to be able to report that driving standards at our club, have (IMO) improved markedly in recent weeks. I feel (again it's my opinion) that this is due, in no small part, to the ongoing discussion regarding observation of RD rules and maintaining & improving a great atmosphere at our club.
RD club racing rules are, of course, the foundation on which we build our club racing. It is essential therefore, that we are all familiar with these rules. Please could everybody make sure that they are familiar with, and that they understand the rules. There is a link to club racing rules in the opening post of each event thread, but just in case, I will link to it again here. http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/racing-club-regulations-2017.10978/

I'm pleased with our recent progress, but I don't see it as a reason for complacency. I think it's important for us all to have good knowledge of the rules, so I've decided to start this thread, where I intend to explain some of the rules and expected conduct, and support those explanations with references from respected sources.

Firstly, I'm gonna re-post a link to an article which @Rupe Wilson shared, back when we first moved from GTL to HistorX. The article is about another sim (Grand Prix Legends) but the points made are just as relevant in HistorX. http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info/index.php?title=GPL_Recommended_Driver_Behaviour#Corner_Rights
This is recommended reading for All drivers at our club. Please find a few minutes to read and consider this article. If we all abide by these recommendations, as a club, we will all benefit enormously.

One of the first points in the GPL article (linked above) is about conduct in qualli. We have asked everybody to leave a gap to the car in front when leaving the pits in qualli sessions and I'm pleased to report that this request has been observed very well. Well done guys and thank you.
A further point is this one from the GPL article - "Stay out of the way of drivers who are on flying laps when you're on an out lap, or any other non-useful qualifying lap for that matter. It can be hard to find the space to complete a clean flying lap sometimes. Its all the worse if people who are on an out lap try to ‘race’ those who are trying to complete a clean flying lap. Be a sport. Let others complete their flying laps as cleanly as possible". So, if you make a mistake and ruin your own lap, please don't hamper any other driver and cause them to lose time on their lap.

The rules on changing line in the braking zone, is another topic which we should all be aware of. F1 has had some clarification on this in the recent past and, because it's important in any kind of racing, we all need to understand what is expected of us.

THIS page is very useful and the points it makes should be understood by all club members. It outlines the point about changing direction in the braking zone perfectly -
"On a straight, a defending driver has the right to suddenly change direction, even using the entire track width if they are fully ahead of the attacking driver. The same right does not apply in or immediately before the braking zone for a corner. Sudden changes of direction just before or within the braking zone are considered extremely dangerous, as they can leave the attacking driver nowhere to go. This rule is not stated explicitly in the FIA sporting regulations, but is considered an “abnormal change of direction” under sporting regulation 20.5.

20.5 Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
Obviously some change of direction is allowed within the braking zone — the optimal racing line usually involves some amount of trail-braking — so it is up to the stewards to decide what constitutes an “abnormal” amount of movement."

I think that's enough about rules for one session, but I will update this thread with more guidelines, as and when relevant points come to my attention. Thanks for taking the time to read this, please keep an eye on this thread. The thread is not open for comments, if you have something to add, please contact me via PM. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Qualification Rules.

We run a super pole qualification system over 10 minutes. This is done manually not by the server (we had problems when using the server lap count), please note and count your laps if needed.
You get to drive:
Lap 1 = out lap
Lap 2 = qually lap
Lap 3 = qually lap
Lap 4 = Escape to pits
Find a safe place to stop after crossing the the finish line at the end of lap 3 and hit escape. Please do not drive round to the pits, as we want to keep the track as clear as possible for others. It is classed as 4 laps in the club post because you have started lap 4 when you hit escape.

On leaving the pits to start qualification you are required to wait at pit exit until the car in front has driven away, leaving a nice 5 second gap to him before exiting the pits yourself. You may not use the out lap as the time to make the 5 second gap, as this will only bunch up the cars behind.

On returning to the pit you are not allowed to go out again, please sit and wait until warm up before you go out on track again. Use the time (if any) to observe other drivers - braking points, lines, gears etc. Do not drive up and down the pit lane.

You can hit escape on your out lap if you have issues (forgot to load set up, wheel etc.) and start again, but it is not to be used as an extra lap. You will therefore (in this case) only be able to post one hot lap.

It's up to you to find a large enough gap to leave the pits without fear of hindering other drivers. If a quicker driver catches you on your out lap (this shouldn't happen, but we all make mistakes), you must move out of the way and let them by, without costing them any time.
You have 10 minutes to achieve a time, use it wisely please. You only get one go at this.

Remember, there is to be no typing in the chat box in qually. Only admin may type to instruct a driver if needed.
This will be a short message and to the point (please don't take offence at this, we do not want to hinder other drivers.) The driver name will be listed first and then the comment or command.

With thanks Rupe and Denis

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%