1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Racing Line Assist

Discussion in 'F1 2010 - The Game' started by Grayday, Apr 22, 2011.

1. I just finished my first season (with Lotus) and won the WDC. I accepted an offer with Renault for season 2. I drive with manual shifting and most assists off, but I used the racing line assist throughout season 1 so I could familiarize myself with the tracks. I'd like to turn that off now. Do you guys use the distance markers as braking point cues, other features next to the track or something else? I don't want to embarrass myself too badly with my new team. :tongue:

2. I use anything I can find that is easy to remember or otherwise easy to spot. On some tracks the distance markers can be hard to see so I usually look for anything else, maybe a sign, or where the curbs begins, maybe a rail or a wall that's easy to remember.

3. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

Avoid using shadows on the track, as alot of them disappear in wet conditions

4. Taking Bahrain as an example for me:

1 - Kerb on outside of track
    4 - 100m distance marker
    7 - As the road straightens up
    9 - Driving rhythm (as you are not long out of the turn I just mentally time this rather than look for a marker)
    12 - Driving rhythm
    14 - Distance judgement to hairpin
    17 - 100m distance marker
    19 - Outside kerb
    20 - 100m distance marker
    22 - 100m distance marker
    23 - 100m distance marker

5. I generally use curbs, distance markers, advertising banners, lamps (on street circuit) but often it's only own distance judgement.

6. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm beginning to realize that I'll be needing MANY more practice laps when I turn off the racing line assist.

7. The best way in my opinion to learn a track is turn off the racing line and do a quick race. Follow the AI.

8. I'd advise against throwing other cars in the mix initially - especially as I have found that they corner very differently to player cars. I'd say do a couple laps on TT with the line turned on and just try and get a rough idea of when the brake points are (like "between 150m and 100m"). Then turn it off and practice, but with you breaking early (so for the previous you'd brake at 150m). Then as you do more laps you can start braking later and later.

If you try and practice with the line on you'll just end up looking at the line, so get a rough idea then turn it off. You'll find that you'll start to push the brake point too late after a while - probably not so much that you crash or even leave the track depending on where you are (I'd not recommend starting with singapore!).