1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing for dummies

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by trobwal, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Can someone point me in the right direction when it comes to understand racing, techniques and terminology.

I have been scouring these forums much and found alot of it being unfamiliar. I know some of the basics like apex and the ideal raceline and tought that was sufficient for my intro into simracing but the opposite was much closer to reallity.

I still have so much to learn and would love to learn them as well. My goal of simracing is to become better at it while in the meanwhile better my understanding of racing.

Is there like a raceschool site or something where dummies like me can learn the important stuff.

Tnx fine gents of RD.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ryan Ogurek

Ryan Ogurek
    Editor / Automotive News Staff

Try out our Premium Driver Academy. We have some very knowledgeable and talented instructors who will be happy so share their knowledge and experience with you.

Aside from the academy, the best way to learn, in my opinion, is with experience. Don't be afraid to get involved in club races and discussions on Teamspeak. There's always a friendly crowd which is happy to help out a new sim racer, that's probably the best part of RD - its a great and very helpful community.

You also can find help with specific games and sims in their relative forums.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Tnx men. Will sort out ts tomorrow. Currently on phone. Actually looking forward to meet some of u guys there.

That RD is helpfull and friendly is something i allready noticed. The reactions on my topics are allways helpfull and friendly.

Really like it here u know. You haven't seen the last of me.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ryan Ogurek

Ryan Ogurek
    Editor / Automotive News Staff

Awesome to hear! Be sure to enter in your real name in "personal details" for access to TS and the Club events, as this has replaced our licensing system.

Hope to see you on the servers!
  5. If you haven't already seen the excellent "Going Faster" video, I would highly recommend it:

I enjoyed the video so much that I bought the book. Literally like a text book of the Skip Barber Racing School, it's an incredible wealth of information.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. tnx man....

awesome video... learned a lot that i need to get into practice.......
  7. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff

8. Rob Gray

Rob Gray
    Premium Member

9. I love racing sims but i'm woefully bad at them. I want to be able to be compettative and race online. I need somoine to hop in with me and teach me what im doing wrong and help me understand things and force out my bad habbits.
  10. Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion Premium Member

Have you done any reading or tried to learn the basics of high performance driving? I also recommend skip barber video and speed secrets by Ross Bentley. There are also many good article and resources online. Anyways I would try to learn what you can and then apply it in practice. If you are looking for someone to go online and have some instruction if you go to a premium membership there is the premium academy with Bram. There could also be some other members willing to hop in and give instruction as well, but may not be as good or have the experience that Bram has.
    Worst case I could try to help if you have gsc and teamspeak. I still need teamspeak and the big if would be if the timing works. I'm quick but not the fastest, so not making any promises it would be good.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. Slalom823

The other thing that could be helpful is getting gtr2 and doing the driving school. It is older but many liked it a lot, and the driving school has a very nice written piece on each part of driving and then has short driving tests or challenges to complete. It looks like it is $6.99 on amazon, and I have seen it go for just a few dollars on steam when it goes on sale.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. quicksilver384

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #85 Staff

Ive been playing racing games since gran turismo and have had many pc sim racers from gtr, gtl, r facor, have played i racing, project cars (didnt like) and now am in love with AC. I am rarely able to compete with people so although i have been playing for many years i am not great. My main weekness in my opinion is setups.
    • Beer Beer x 1
  13. Slalom823

The best suggestion I have is to try joining club races here. You need to be a premium member, but I have found it to be well worth it. You could always try out just a month or two if you aren't sure.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. quicksilver384

Thanks. I will have a look at whats going and how it goes with my scedule.
  15. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett
    Premium Member

You have plenty of experience with sims so just jump in take it easy to start. Everything else you can find out here don't be afraid to ask dumb questions. Team speak chat when racing is a great help people can advise you on the fly.
  16. quicksilver384

my only problem with TS is my mic is crap and i cant talk and race i am in the zone for the game lol
  17. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja
    Leader of the infamous Chevy Gang.

I think apart from these technical and physical attributes racing has, a lot can be done in your head. Keeping your head cool in order to factor in all the variables happening around you goes a long long way. As soon as you start frustrating over something you are destined to fail.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Question for you online racers:
    When you race you dont have any assists on right? So as I am attempting to learn and gain experience how do you control say a Maclaren mp4 12C without anything? Using AC in career mode. Any little mistake and the car goes away very fast.

I am still a little off right now but do plan to try my hand at running when I get better.
  19. CCL71

Premium Member

20. xnorb

Premium Member

Something that helped me a lot:
    Watch videos/replays of others.
    Watch closely how and when they brake, their racing line, their marks and you will improve.

That's why you don't need to divebomb every corner and destroy your tires.
    Just sit in the rear mirror for 2 laps and the guy in front of you will most likely make an error.

I think if you talk nonstop during the race you will get muted/kicked anyways :D

First: You need a wheel
    Second: practice, practice and some more practice :)
    Start slow in something like the Fiat 500, Renault Clio or Mini Cooper and work your way up.
    If you put somebody who just got a driving license into something like a race car, you wouldn't expect him to do very well either, aye? :)
    • Agree Agree x 1