1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Racing Club Suggestion...

Discussion in 'Formula Truck 2013' started by Stefan Mizzi, Jun 21, 2013.

1. OK...this go against my rules....but I have to suggest this :) I have noticed that not many are participating in the Truck series.

I for one, the main reason I'm not racing much with this is because I am finding it really difficult to hold the truck on track and be fast. I think one needs some good skills to go fast. It's not an easy one to drive. Which is well and good! But ending up always at the back or most of the times on gravel is not fun.....

Maybe many others share the same feeling?

So, what if we enable some driving aids? I am not sure how it feels tbo and never tried them. But maybe it would be slightly easier to drive this truck? Would it then be more fun for most? Would more be interested?

This is just an idea/suggestion, so don't shot me :) Not even sure if with some aids it will be easier/more fun.

And yeah, like I said, this is not typical me, as I am a hardcore sim racer....but damn, I'm finding it a bit frustrating to drive this truck on edge and keep up with the guys (the truck aliens! :D )

So....?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl
    adMAXIhater (O.O.O.)

Well Stefan, first a general remark from my side (also personal)
    If I would go by what you say, I wouldnt drive anymore.
    Tbh, I start at the back, I drive at the back, and I finish at the back. Always.
    To say that its not fun, doesnt feel right to me. I am not fast, and will never be fast. So if the driving in front is the benchmark, I should sell my steering wheel :)

That said, I DO understand your point made above. I am pretty sure that enabling aids will not help with that, but I can see where you are coming from here.

I think people do not give the game a chance. It's hard, you need to practice some before you can get around fast, that's to hard, so most quit immediately. I suspect that some of the faster (regular car) drivers do not come, as they fear to be in the back of the grid. Somehow that doesnt feel right for front runners, and they will most probably escape out of the game once they have gone off once, as the chance of winning is gone then.

Remember the Marussia in rFactor2. I told you before I hate that car, and it hates me. It's about the same relation you have with the trucks. The answer should not be enabling aids, but learn to drive. And yes, that takes time. I can't drive the Marussia well. However, with me its hardly noticable, as it doesnt matter if I can drive it or not, I will be at the back anyway :).

As said, I understand your point, but do not think it will work. Besides the fact that we at RD have no signups at all, the general Multiplayer lobby is empty about 95% of the time..... Enabling aids on RD, will not make the game come back alive imo.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah, true, I have always hated Aids too. I agree with your point, best way is to learn how to drive it.

The main problem I have with this truck is braking..it's like it never stops. Anything else I love about it. But I guess that's the way it is in real life.

And "fun" for me is racing hard with the front 5 guys. Staying at the back, I find it boring. But we are all different :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl
    adMAXIhater (O.O.O.)

Well Stefan, I think thats partly the problem....

Your statement says it all:
    Like yourself, a lot cant get used to the braking, so cant be quick, so cant battle on the front. Instead of practicing and learning, they quit, and go do the things they CAN do.

Result..... Empty clubs :).
    (Not saying you are a quiter ey :))

5. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl
    adMAXIhater (O.O.O.)

Ow, and a technical driving tip.
    Brake early, brake hard, and let it coast through the start of the corner, half throttle half way, full out. Thats the quickest way to do it.
    It's a bit like the mini's. It's not about braking very late into the corner, its all about keeping the flow in the car. That is what makes you quick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Very true Marco. Practicing and learning is crucial but unfortunately time is limited for many too.

I honestly did try, and surely when I'll have some time will try keep learning/practice more. I think that hardcore sims need dedication, which many don't have the stamina and time.

As they say, where there is the will, there is the way :) Anyway, my point was that maybe we can make it a bit easier for some, but I understand your point.

7. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl
    adMAXIhater (O.O.O.)

I understand yours as well, and partly agree with it also.
    However, seen the fact that the multiplayer lobby is empty, also with rooms which DO allow aids, I believe it will not work.

8. True, it seems that currently, the general community is finding time elsewhere, or maybe there is something wrong which we are not seeing.

Quite said actually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

Admittedly, these trucks are not easy to get used to. Some drivers here are very good and clearly dominate the races.
    However, I doubt the answer is to introduce driving aids, and even if we did, I suspect the same drivers will dominate anyway.

I'm actually enjoying the challenge of learning how to handle these brutes, so running well behind the fast guys doesn't worry me, it's still fun.
    I think we need to somehow introduce some driver training to help new drivers come to grips with them. It would be great to see some help coming from the faster guys.
    Unfortunately, it's a bit of a catch 22, if we could get more drivers involved, then a larger field / grid with a wider range of skill / speed would make things more interesting for everyone. We'd all get more racing with those of similar speed to us instead of the fast guys having fun but leaving a couple left behind on their own.

Somehow, we need to find out why the grids are small, I suspect it is not mainly related to difficulty or driver domination.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

I fear that most sim racers aren't so sim as they say on blogs and forums.

Maybe when the trucks have frontwheeldrive with any other view than cockpit view we see more drivers.

I wish people just stopped racing online with the idea that they have to win in order to enjoy themselves. Just go out on track, spin a 1000 times and be happy that you improved to 900 spins after one session.

/sarcasm off, dont shoot me

• Like Like x 4
  11. Bram

Bram

Increase the normal braking zone x2. Brake at 200m instead of 100m and you'll see it does stop (eventually :D)

• Like Like x 3
  12. Bram

Bram

How about we do a little low profile league. No hassle with broadcasts, skinpacks and such. Just meet on a fixed day in the week and add points to our scoring software?

• Like Like x 1

13. Not a bad idea :) But it's very very hot here now (35 degrees today!) and I'll be most of the days at the beach :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bram

Bram

The heat shouldn't be a problem Stefan..

Ice Truck Series? Problem solved :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Calum McLure

Calum McLure
    Did ye, aye? Premium Member

I've been on Race Department for about a year now and still haven't won a race, and that's doing about 2-3 races a week!!! I just love racing with other people regardless of how far or low up the field I am.

I'd probably consider Formula Truck to be my favorite sim right now as I can't remember a race I didn't have fun in and enjoy, whether it be due to the race itself or just being on TeamSpeak.

We just need more people to come and enjoy it though :(

• Like Like x 3
  16. if people need help with the braking / turnings in, i can make a video, but would require some1 to do some commentary if they wish :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeah, we need 1 page, with all the events from all sims where people can see who is subscribed to what event, and can subscribe/join with a click of a button there and then...

We need more visibility, a unified page where people can easily get together and see whats going on. This can also work for quick races, not just events. ppl subscribing to a quick race/training session/whatever...kind of like iRacing.

There is a missing connection between people/events/quick races, lack of visibility, lack of communication..if these are all brought together, with a simple, user friendly, informative and functional page, then maybe.....

I came from the beach today at 9:30pm, put my babies to sleep and jumped on Reiza Truck. No one. Heh. What if I would have subscribed myself to a quick race/training/whatever and went for a cigarette, came back in 10 minutes and...then others had seen it and joined too! All of a sudden, in 15 minutes, there are 10 of us racing!

:rolleyes:

That's one example. :)

18. Stefan, we have a calender on the TAB bar, we have front page Articles, we also tweet & put the events on FB.... we cannot do anything else, apart from listen to the community for the events, there's only so much we can do, it's upto the guys to sign up & race, but there seems to be a domino effect, if 1 -3 people sign up for a event then there is bound to be atleast 1 or 2 that will sign out because of the sign ups. If there is atleast 8 people signed up, then it's guranteed 3-4 more driver's will sign up.

19. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium Member

I'll give an explanation of why I'm not joining as often as I'd like.
    As I have said, I really enjoy this Sim because it is different to the other Sims and provides a learning challenge.

However, the unreliable sign-ups makes things dicey for me. Since I'm in Australia, I have to get out of bed at 4AM to race, something I have demonstrated I prepared to do. Unfortunately, when I go to bed prior to the race, I have no idea if there will actually be a race when I get up.
    A couple of times, I have signed up after seeing a reasonable number of drivers signed up, only to find that most of the others signed out during my night, or just didn't turn up. So, I got up early for nothing. :(
    Then, on other occasions, I see only one or two signed up drivers, so I assume no race will be held and therefore don't sign up. Only to find that 4 or 5 drivers signed up during my night, and the race went ahead.
    I realise I'm an unusual case, but as you can see, planning to race in this Sim is a lottery for me, making it hard to be confident to join.

So, from my view, it would be much better if driver numbers would sign-up earlier (say one or two days ahead) and the sign-ups were reliable. Then I could confidently join you.

One other suggestion, I think we are planning too many events each week. There are obviously a limited number of drivers currently running this Sim, and having so many events scheduled each week (often clashing with other Sims) is trying to spread the small group too thin. Find which night is most popular within the Group and just plan a smaller number of events to those days / nights.

From my experience, once you can get a regular, committed, reliable and enthusiastic base of drivers, then you have a chance of maintaining or slowly growing the interest in the Sim.

This Sim has soooo much to offer, it's a real shame that it can't get a reliable foothold here. :)

• Like Like x 5

20. True, but what's missing is the visibility when some drivers want to get together and do a quick race or a session at a time of the day because one cannot know what others are up to.