Racing Club Suggestion

Ok so our racing club is starting to build up again, and some events are full with a healthy reserves list.

The Problems

Sign ups that don't show for unforseen or simply inconsiderate, selfish reasons.
Getting reserves into server in a fair order.

Suggested solutions.

1) Penalize serial no showers' with a one month racing suspension from ALL, not just Race07 and not just club events. Harsh but fair on everyone else.
2) Make it Mandatory for Reserves to join teamspeak in order to be instructed when they can join the server. They don't have to have a microphone, as some may not want to chat - Teamspeak supports typed messages and if the suggestion 3 is implemented alongside this then both reserves and those in server will know when to expect reserves to be joining teamspeak and asking if a slot is free. If implemented correctly with clear instructions in the top post of events, reserves would know which order they were allowed to join in from the forum so no one jumps the queue and admin don't have to attend every event to ensure it runs smoothly.
3) Create a Reserves channel, under each game, eg. Race07 Reserves - by doing this the reserves can see who is still in reserve before and after them, before joining the channel for race and asking people in the server if they can join at the predefined (top post again) time.
4) In the event timing (top post) include a time, I suggest 5 mins before the End of qualy, entitled - Reserves join main teamspeak to request server access from members already in server. This is when reserves jump up in reserve order to ask if they are free to join, and remember that can be by voice or text if they don't have a Mic.
5) This is why I like these suggestions - Reserves that don't get into the event are encouraged to stay in the Reserves channel to organise themselves where they Race together, wether that's on other RD servers not in an active event (practice), servers they host themselves, or Public servers - the point is they still get to race with other members, even if its not in the event they hoped to join. The use of a Reserves channel could even be used to fill empty slots in events that are not full because many don't look at the RD forum once in game but could be sitting in a reserve channel, indicating that they are untamed and available to race.

What do you think?

Races after races
We are talking and exploring the options at this moment to set up a full time server with multiple tracks and cars on it. This server will be open for RD members to join, so they can have a race at any time that suits them.
The more tracks and expansions you include the less people have chance of joining. Original Race 07 with all its tracks, all cars available. Users may advance to next track if they choose to, and negotiate with fellow drivers the class they want to drive. For this server the Teamspeak could be mandatory to check in before logging into the game, and see what car is being used at the moment. Minimal hassle for admins once set up, maximum fun for reasonable RD drivers.

"Customers"

I REALLY don't like that word, since RD is a free site. People are always welcome to make suggestions, and upon review they suit well and we think they will be popular, it will get used.

That's the main criteria for me - are the cars fun, does it match with the track and will it be popular.

time to pull up an old thread ....:)
I would like to have some cockpit view only races....might make things a bit closer ( choosing a car that has a good view out the front...):thumbsup:
how much faster is bonnet view
who uses what view...leave your name if interested....:D

i think none of the incar views offer any significant gain (apart from V8 Supercars that have a lot of rollcage bars blocking the view in cockpit..) Swingman camera can be somewhat faster as it offers a view over blind corners and you can see a bit more of the road. You lose mirrors then so it's not advisable to use it in race and also you lose a lot of smaller details of the cars behaviour, it's not as accurate to drive with it... IMHO, it's not simulation any more but i use it sometimes to learn a new track that has a lot of elevation and blind turns.

Mostly it's cockpit view unless it's poorly done or blocks the view excessively. Caterhams is a good example where cockpit view is way easier to drive, the bonnet view in that car is the most awful decision from SimBin in the whole series; cam is located at the front of the hood, front of engine and front wheels where as the driver actually sits at the back, just in front of the rear wheels... There is just now way of telling what the body is doing. Some of the GT cars have the seat positioned so low that the cockpit view is almost a safety hazard..

I think autoclutch just means you need to clutch to get going in first gear. After that, no difference in race07.

Yes, there is. The autoclutch engages for ex at the end of long brakings when the driven wheels are starting to lockup. It acts like anti-stall but the behaviour is not predictable and can actually cause rear snap-offs when the engine braking is suddenly taken off from the equation and then engaging back on with the appliance of throttle. It also teaches wrong down gearing habits, you can pretty much took a WTCC BMW and flick the gears in Monza 1st corneralmost straight to first gear, with the auto-clutch protecting the engine from over-revs... MoTec telemetry was an eye opener for me, after i saw how much it did over one lap, i've never used it since.

I'm about ½-1 sec faster with auto-clutch off just because i can trust the car to follow my orders and can run with high or low revs to the corner how ever i want. The effect is hard to notice at first but when i was learning trailbraking, my car started to snap-off all the time until i took that auto-clutch off.

time to pull up an old thread ....:)
I would like to have some cockpit view only races....might make things a bit closer ( choosing a car that has a good view out the front...):thumbsup:
how much faster is bonnet view
who uses what view...leave your name if interested....:D

Well myself my times dropped dramatically using Hood Cam. I find it much easier to get the apexes right in this view :thumbsup:

I would like to have some cockpit view only races....might make things a bit closer
I see no advantage to forcing people to drive a sim in a particular way. If they feel more comfortable with swingman or bonnet cam, then let them use it. Making people use settings they're not comfortable with will not promote close racing, it will do the opposite. It would also likely harm attendance.

Non-cockpit view can be an advantage for formula type cars.

I actually find the stock cars cockpit much more intrusive than the formulas. Plus, it is hard to use the full track when you sit sometimes at the right (english cars), other times at the left...

I try to run cockpit anytime, I always do with the open wheelers, but in the other cars if I find myself trying to move the head to look at the reference points that the dammed car structure hides*, I turn to bonnet cam.

*There is some horrible model (I don't recall) with the elastic crash bands all over the front windshield, an absolute pain to drive. IRL your eyes blur them out because you focus on distant points, but in the screen they appear as defined as everything else. Whoever likes to drive that should try the Silent Hunter series!

Nobody would be forced to use the view, you would sign up for the event knowing that it was a cockpit view only event,,
my post was to see how many out there like to use cockpit view and maybe try and get something going...:) or put the suggestion forward to be considered as a event...:)

For example ... A time trail event ... Kennetts AH2 new version,,, Caterhams cockpit view... just like the radical challenge...

what he meant is that people that don,t want to drive in cockpit view have the choice not to sign up for the event like any other event that we do, we are not forcing them to race what they don't want to race its the same thing for the driving view.

i will give my opinion as a race staff, the racing club is made for fun and fast racing meaning you up on the server at praccy time and do your best. thats what makes the racing club casual (not always the case tho) and less about the competition itself, the more things are complicated less the club racing is casual and require more practice time which is not the goal of the racing club for me the changeable wheather is as far as the racing club should go and even that is border line imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back