RaceRoom Updated and Anderstorp Released!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Racing Experience - Anderstorp Raceway.jpg

Sector3 Studios have deployed a new update today for RaceRoom Racing Experience, including the release of the very impressive Anderstorp Raceway track...

Following on from a recent sizable update back on April 20th, Sector3 Studios have today once again released a new build for RaceRoom Racing Experience that addresses a number of minor issues with the simulation, most interestingly with further slight tweaks to the flag rule logic added as part of the new build. Now Sector3 have added some additional detection logic to various yellow flag scenarios within the game, hopefully allowing for a more suitable and consistent application of flag rules for a wider variety of racing situations.

However despite the build update, the biggest news from Sector3 is the much awaited deployment of the wonderfully recreated Anderstorp Circuit. Available in two separate layouts, both the Grand Prix and South Circuit versions of the track are available to purchase from the RaceRoom Store for £2.53.

The release of Anderstorp completes the release schedule for the three previously announced Scandinavian locations added to RaceRoom, however with a past history with the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship in the form of the two STCC racing games released under the SimBin banner, fans will no doubt be remaining hopeful that these are just the first of many new pieces of Scandinavian content coming to RaceRoom in the near future.

04/05/2017 Update:

Game:
  • Fixed an issue where time allowed to give a position was showing 15 seconds instead of 30.
  • Fixed an issue where players sometimes received a penalty while on grid at the start of MP race.
  • Added a 2 second period during which the yellow flag causer still can be overtaken after he/she has fulfilled the criteria for not causing a yellow anymore.
  • Increased the speed threshold needed to release a yellow flag.
Multiplayer
  • Added a setting “Stay in Practice Session if Empty” to turn on/off session freeze to dedi. If ON, the server will stay in practice session if it’s empty. If OFF the server will continue to qualifying even if it’s empty.
  • Added a setting “Allow Players Join in Qualifying” to allow/disallow players join during Qualifying. If OFF players can’t join during Qualifying. If ON players can join during Qualifying.
Sounds, Cameras, Physics & AI:
  • Mclaren 650s: Camera update following the steering wheel alignment fix.
  • Suzuka: Fixed BMW procar going wide in 130R and fixed too harsh 130R cut rules
Art:
  • McLaren 650s GT3: Fixed alignment of the steering wheel.
Portal & Backend:
  • Fixed some inconsistencies with competition starting and ending time being x hours off depending on the players local time difference to UTC.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a PC racing simulation from Sector3 Studios. Additional content to the free base game can be purchased at the RaceRoom store.

RaceRoom Racing Experience - Anderstorp Raceway 2.jpg
RaceRoom Racing Experience - Anderstorp Raceway 3.jpg
RaceRoom Racing Experience - Anderstorp Raceway 4.jpg

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussions with regards to the simulation. Take part in our awesome Racing Club, download a setup or just hang out and chat about the game with your fellow fans of the title. It’s all here at RaceDepartment.com!

Have you tried the update yet? What do you think about the Anderstorp circuit? Would you like to see more Swedish locations in RaceRoom? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Fantastic track. And I have no idea how they make DX9 look this good.

Maybe pre-baked lighting and shadows is the way to go after all.

People tend to think that DX9 equals bad looking games and bad performance and DX10 or DX11 is an instant visual and performance upgrade. However, that's not really how this works. Hence we got a pretty all-right looking DX9 R3E and a quite bad looking DX11 rF2 beta.

Also, as mentioned before, there's real-time lighting in R3E. The shadows are not the best looking out there, but they're still real-time.

They use real time lighting, there are no baked shadows.
That's impressive, because they somehow avoided the problem AC has with shadows suddenly popping in about a hundred meters from your viewpoint. I know the shadows on the cars are dynamic, but are you sure that's the case for track objects? If so, I wonder how R3E managed to do shadows so much better (IMHO)?

That's impressive, because they somehow avoided the problem AC has with shadows suddenly popping in about a hundred meters from your viewpoint

They didn't. There's plenty of shadow popup. I think the distance depends on shadow settings in the game, but even on the highest, you can't get rid of it.

It's extra visible on Monza on the straight between Lesmo and Ascari, for example. YouTube butchered the framerate, but you can still see it for example here in my video (timestamp is 23:35 if it doesn't work for some reason).

I have shadows set at medium, BTW.

M-Bimmer

WhAt GoEs ArOuNd CoMeS ArOuNd
Love all the tracks in RaceRoom even though they are not laser scanned.
Can't believe the devs support! The game gets updated regularly and it gets better and better.
Money well spend if you ask me.
(Reported a couple of bugs and got replies with workaround and the fix was included in the next patch released)

Yes it does not have the bells and whistles like some other racing games but it feels great hearing and driving any car in RaceRoom. :thumbsup:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 18.9%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000