RaceRoom Racing Experience: Interview With Diego Sartori

Last week Simbin asked the community to partake in a Q&A with Creative Director Diego Sartori. Simbin have now published their answers to the huge amount of questions that were sent in. These are just a few of the questions that have been answered. Part2 will follow soon.
How would you say the hardcore-simracers will experience this game?

In order to be able to answer this question one must question what a hardcore simracer really is.

We have seen many so called hardcore simracers not really being all that hardcore and we have seen some, that at first appeared to be relatively casual racing game players, only to turn out as absolutely hardcore racing gamers.

It is worth mentioning that we have seen super serious racing gamers on console as well as on PC. The game they play may not be all that hardcore but their approach, their skill and the level of dedication they display surely places them right next to any other hardcore simracer.

So, ask yourself this please, am I automatically a hardcore simracer because:
  • I wear a helmet when playing a racing game?
  • I play my racing game with controllers and a racing frame worth 1000 Euro or more?
  • I only play my racing game using cockpit camera?

And then ask yourself this, can I call myself a hardcore simracer when:
  • I play the game with a Joy-Pad?
  • I only play the game using the Amateur difficulty level?
  • I play the game using driving cameras other than cockpit?

A simracer to me is a player that loves real racing and racing games. Playing racing games is their hobby and the approach to the racing games they play, is one of dedication and determination to improve their race-craft.

How one player experiences full immersion should have nothing to do with how hardcore they are allowed to think of themselves.

I think racing games (any game really) are a little bit like running shoes, they are made for running, but you can use them for walking too, when you try to choose between one shoe over another it is not the brand or the tech that matters, ultimately it is about how the shoe fits and the one that fits perfectly is the one you will end up wearing.

RaceRoom Racing Experience will in some way or another fit most of the players out there. We are aware that it will not fit all the players, and we know that some might label it as less hardcore than other racing games.

I can live with that because I know that to be in the top 100 on any RaceRoom Racing Experience leaderboard, or to be on the podium of a ranked multiplayer race, will require an extraordinary talent and a huge amount of dedication and that to me, that is the real definition of a simracer, hardcore or not.
What changes in the driving experience can we expect?

For the most part, the changes we have made will come across as subtle, small refinements where needed but also with the aim to keep the SimBin DNA intact.

For now we have announced the availability of two difficulty levels and matching driving models, Amateur and Get Real™

The Amateur driving model is designed to cater for casual gamers and seasoned racing gamers alike and this is done through the careful use of two driving aids, ABS and traction control, nothing more.

At our booth at this year’s GamesCom, we had visitors performing 1 minute 29 sec laps around our track, coming out of the simulator stating that they would have wanted less driving aids, and some have come out saying that it was spot on, at GamesCom we only used the Amateur driving model.

Fact is that the current delta time with that car on that track is 1 minute 22 seconds, the challenge factor and difficulty level changes a lot over a span of 7 seconds per lap and that is worth having in mind.

The premise for the Amateur difficulty is that is runs the Amateur Driving model, tire wear, tire heating, ambient temperatures and fuel use disabled. Damage is kept to visuals only and the cars are using fixed setups.

In order to make sure players can get the feel they want from the controls when playing the game, we have moved the steering lock from its normal place in the car setup menu to a new location within the controls menu, this allow for personal tweaks of how the car and controller inputs interacts even with fixed car setups.

The Get Real™ driving model feels and drives much like you would expect a SimBin game to drive, it is immersive, dramatic and challenging.

A new aspect of the Get Real™ driving model is that we do not treat traction control as a driving aid, we simply treat it as part of setting up the car, just as any team would if they are racing in a series that allows the use of traction control, and those there are plenty of.
This presents the player/driver with a completely different challenge when it comes to setting the car up for a given track and a given discipline, they have to 6 traction control positions and for each of these the player can assign any amount of traction control between 0 and 100%.

Now some may think that adding 100% traction control to the car will make them win races, or be fastest on a leaderboard, that is not the case, a skilled driver will be faster with no or very limited traction control values, it will be about finding the right compromise between your driving style, the cars mechanical and aero dynamical grip and then of course the amount of “safety” you are willing to sacrifice in order to get the lap times you are looking for.

-Diego Sartori

Stay tuned for part 2 of the Q&A with Diego!

Source: simbin insider
View the Post on the Blog

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me give you one definition of "Hard core". Take Dirt III. If I only drove one car on one surface in that game I would actually give it pretty high marks. Good FFB decent car feel and so forth. The problem comes when you go from a 2012 4WD rally car to a 70's FWD car like the lancia. They both drive the same. Further problems arise when you drive the same car on different surfaces: there is no difference. Gravel tarmac snow.. no matter what the car tends to drive the same.

hence to me DirtIII is not a hardcore game. Now a hardcore simracer can play that game and be fast at it but the game is still not hard core.

There is a certain amount of self challenge in sims. It's not only quickest hotlap or constant stream of podiums but conquering the track, mastering the vehicle. If one goes to slippery slope of pleasing casual gamers and sacrifices the real life simulation aspect of the game, it waters down the accomplishment.. Doing worlds fastest Gran Turismo laptimes is nothing compared to times done in rFactor/Race/iRacing (i know those are not directly comparable...). The skill level may be close but it's not the same... With watered down sim you are constantly looking for loopholes and exploiting them to get fast times, in realistic sim it's about car control.

Really good arcade gamer can be miles ahead of the similar sim driver in terms of sheer reaction and controller skill and really easily would beat everyone in the sim games, that's the way world is: some are better in every game and some are not. Then we have two parts in the latter group: those who see it as a challenge and try to imporve themselves and then those who quit trying adn try something else. Casual gaming attracts that group, those who can't deal with losing constantly and are looking for a good experience no matter how they suck at it. Those are the most easily buying games on a whim and have the mindset for microtransaction to work: impulse buyers with short attentionspan and low failure threshold.... they are most likely the ones that fool themselves playing against too easy AI with tons of driveraids, cheer when they win by two laps.. It's about that quickfix of success no matter how easy the challenge actually is.

I understand the other side of it too, simracing is really timeconsuming, no other game expects it's players to practice hundreds of hours before actually starting the game. One race can take 5 hours of time all together. When time is short, there is a real demand for 15min-30min sessions where you get to play instantly... But i hope SimBin realizes that a solid HC mode (Get Real i think the mode is called) is the core of the product, it needs the approval of simracers just for qualitys sake.. If all simracers judge it to be too arcade, they will never get the same prestige back that they do now: understeering, yes, a bit but known for that precise, sharp feel and for content/price ratio being one of the best ever.

But then again, it's not GTR3, RRRRRRRRRE so the name should reveal the real customerbase and if it brings more people to our "more serious side",the better. I started with light sims and semiarcades and only later developed the need for realism and a real challenge, a hobby that can continue to the grave... I can't see having the same attitude towards the casual side, no casual game attracts and compels me enough. In the FPS side things are a bit different but the same thing happened there too: CS to MW2 to BF... From casual high packed action to more realistic slowly advancing games that require more complete skillset and tactical gameplay..

" ...and we know that some might label it as less hardcore than other racing games.

I can live with that because I know that to be in the top 100 on any RaceRoom Racing Experience leaderboard, or to be on the podium of a ranked multiplayer race, will require an extraordinary talent and a huge amount of dedication and that to me, that is the real definition of a simracer, hardcore or not."

I am sorry but that is the definition of a hardcore gamer and not a hardcore driving sim. A hardcore (aka realistic) driving sim is the sim that tries to simulate as much as possible a real car on a track.

" ...and we know that some might label it as less hardcore than other racing games.

I can live with that because I know that to be in the top 100 on any RaceRoom Racing Experience leaderboard, or to be on the podium of a ranked multiplayer race, will require an extraordinary talent and a huge amount of dedication and that to me, that is the real definition of a simracer, hardcore or not."

I am sorry but that is the definition of a hardcore gamer and not a hardcore driving sim. A hardcore (aka realistic) driving sim is the sim that tries to simulate as much as possible a real car on a track.
This ^

@Kenney I totally agree mate.
To be hardcore, you have to have a certain amount of dedication, the utter will even to lose, because you know it's part of the learning.
To knowyou won't beat those in the to ten but still carry on, because every lap, every failure, every chance to learn, brings you closer to beating the best.

Casual gamers won't even dream of this, the instant thrill appeal dictates that putting time and effort to lose is wholly wrong.
If you can say you put in 100's of hours in to a game, no matter what it is, knowing every hour is a rung on the ladder to success, then isn't that the definition of hardcore?

He just did like politicians, dress a NO to look like a yes :)

He just did like politicians, dress a NO to look like a yes :)
Xose, I was thinking the same exact thing when I was reading his answer.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%