RaceRoom Racing Experience Hotfix Patch Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Hotfix Update 1.jpg

Sector3 Studios have released a small hotfix update to RaceRoom Racing Experience, adding some fixes and prepping the game for a new content release.

Putting the racing simulation into maintenance mode earlier this afternoon, Sector3 Studios have deployed a minor hotfix to the simulation that delivers a few new updates to the game and looks to address a multiplayer crash disconnection bug that has affected several users in recent months.

With the online crash fix is always welcomed, probably of most interest will be the new driver animations added to four of the older cars in game, the Aquila, Canhard R51, Cougar C14-1 and Saleen S7R.

Check out the update changelog below:
  • Prepared files for upcoming events and content release.

Game:
  • Fixed a game crash that could sometimes occur simultaneously for several players at the end of multiplayer races.
Art:
  • Aquila - New driver animation
  • Canhard R51 - New driver animation
  • Cougar C14-1 - New driver animation
  • Saleen S7R - New driver animation
  • Color balancing work on the global light settings. More adjustments will be done to further improve in later patches.
  • Imola - Additional tweaks and fixes, minor elevation adjustment when coming up to Variante Alta.

The new hotfix update is live now, and should automatically download the next time you restart your Steam client.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available exclusively to PC as a free to play base game, with additional paid DLC available via the RaceRoom store.

RaceRoom Hotfix Update 2.jpg
RaceRoom Hotfix Update 3.jpg
RaceRoom Hotfix Update 4.jpg

Take your RaceRoom Racing Experience online with RaceDepartment. Check out our Club and League Racing sub forum for a great place to sample a popular and wide cross-section of cars and tracks from Sector3 Studios current racing simulation. As well as organised Club and League events, we also host a number of mods and car setups, plus a thriving sub forum dedicated to this racing title.

Have you tried the new update yet? Looking forward to the Corvette? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
They call that a hotfix?

I mean it's not just those few things but also the fact that the FRX-17 finally gets multiple tire compounds, and the free cars get updates to them.

Or these important ones
  • Reduced Join Lags in multiplayer
  • Fixed car-to-car collisions that could sometimes have “magnetic” effects of either repulsion or attraction.
  • Results files generated by the dedicated server now include car class information and results per class.
  • Added warmup option to dedicated servers. When multiple race sessions are enabled, a warmup will be taking place before each of them.
  • Decision to inflict Stop and Go and Drive Through penalties is now more lenient
  • Improved AI decision making in pitstops when it comes to tire wear and changing tires.
  • Added variables for tire compounds in shared memory.
  • Formula RaceRoom U.S. : 2 compounds are now available. Primary and Alternate. AI behavior and speed tweaks.
  • Formula RaceRoom X-17 : 3 compounds are now available. Soft, Medium and Hard. AI behavior and speed tweaks.
  • BMW M235i Racing : New cockpit sounds, louder, grittier, gruntier.
Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=211500

I would say the fixing of the car collisions are rather important.
Same as the new tire compounds, the drive through penalty logic, the improved AI when it comes to pitstops.
Or the new sounds for the M235i.

Must say I really like the decision to update the free cars, as it is good marketing, given that those are the cars that are availlable in the free to play, unlimited time Demo version. Which might be the first contact some new players might have to the game.

They call that a hotfix?

I mean it's not just those few things but also the fact that the FRX-17 finally gets multiple tire compounds, and the free cars get updates to them.

Or these important ones

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=211500

I would say the fixing of the car collisions are rather important.
Same as the new tire compounds, the drive through penalty logic, the improved AI when it comes to pitstops.
Or the new sounds for the M235i.

Must say I really like the decision to update the free cars, as it is good marketing, given that those are the cars that are availlable in the free to play, unlimited time Demo version. Which might be the first contact some new players might have to the game.

Its called a hotfix because it contains the changes listed in the article. What your quoting is from the previous patch. Never rely on steam news!

View attachment 213996
Sector3 Studios have released a small hotfix update to RaceRoom Racing Experience, adding some fixes and prepping the game for a new content release.

Have you tried the new update yet? Looking forward to the Corvette? Let us know in the comments section below!

Jesus Christ.

A small update is 2 Gig of my bandwidth?

Do the devs know how to write an incremental patch?

2gb update not an issue for my Internet connection but I have to query the logic of flooding the hard drive, where space is at a premium, to have stuff installed there that we haven't actually purchased yet. I know it's convenient to purchase stuff and have it instantly available, but surely people don't mind a small quick download for items they've purchased after they have actually bought the item(s)?

2gb update not an issue for my Internet connection but I have to query the logic of flooding the hard drive, where space is at a premium, to have stuff installed there that we haven't actually purchased yet. I know it's convenient to purchase stuff and have it instantly available, but surely people don't mind a small quick download for items they've purchased after they have actually bought the item(s)?

While I dont disagree with what you are saying, or the concern over having fairly big updates to download, I think taking this in some context would help put things in perspective.

The entire RaceRoom install on my hard drive is 27.2GB after this most recent 'hotfix.' For modern times, that isnt all that big.

Compare this to rF2 on steam where my install is ~33GB with a few car/track mods. AMS at ~32 GB with a few track mods. Or my AC install at 75GB with a variety of car, track, and livery mods. Pcars is the only sim I have with a smaller install at ~22 GB. Unless you want to include age old sims like Race 07 at 11 GB or GTR2 at 2.1 GB.

Overall, it's somewhat in the middle as far as modern sims goes.

15 years ago I was writing incremental installers for Oracle applications that literally only distributed on a byte-per-byte basis the difference between the old version and the new version.

It's easy.

No excuse except laziness.

Well, Im not so sure it is as simple as that from what I have been told.

Some files need to be entirely re-downloaded when a small little fix is made to them. Such as a track. If a hole is filled in, a seem closed, some odd flickering texture fixed... the whole track file needs to be re-downloaded. There is no simple 'byte by byte' download.

That's generally why the devs try to update a lot of small fixes for a single piece of content at a time. Since it needs to be downloaded as a whole.

I dont know every single file that was updated here in detail, but I know the devs dont inflate file sizes on purpose...

The thing is, wouldn’t it be lovely to have for example an actual multicar GT3 race instead only being able to race against your own purchased cars and liveries. And the same with tracks. Isn’t it a wonderfull thing you can actually race on tracks in multiplayer which you do not own? Which would all be rather impossible if it wouldn’t be available on your harddrive. See, the glass ain’t half empty, it’s half full... ;):thumbsup:

Well, Im not so sure it is as simple as that from what I have been told.

Some files need to be entirely re-downloaded when a small little fix is made to them. Such as a track. If a hole is filled in, a seem closed, some odd flickering texture fixed... the whole track file needs to be re-downloaded. There is no simple 'byte by byte' download.

That's generally why the devs try to update a lot of small fixes for a single piece of content at a time. Since it needs to be downloaded as a whole.

I dont know every single file that was updated here in detail, but I know the devs dont inflate file sizes on purpose...

It's really simple - you can take 2 files and in a world of 1's and zeros you can work out the differences. Then put the differences into a patch that gives instructions on how to make the changes so that both files become identical.

Wise and Installshield had this tech 15 years ago.

The thing is, wouldn’t it be lovely to have for example an actual multicar GT3 race instead only being able to race against your own purchased cars and liveries. And the same with tracks. Isn’t it a wonderfull thing you can actually race on tracks in multiplayer which you do not own? Which would all be rather impossible if it wouldn’t be available on your harddrive. See, the glass ain’t half empty, it’s half full... ;):thumbsup:

It's not available on my hard drive though is it?

Try disabling your broadband connection and see how much of the RRE content that you have "bought, paid for and own" that you are able to play....

It's not available on my hard drive though is it?

Try disabling your broadband connection and see how much of the RRE content that you have "bought, paid for and own" that you are able to play....
That’s mixing two seperate things. Yes, all content is on your harddrive. And no, you can’t play R3E without internet connection. But that isn’t hardly a surprise since it’s 1) a mandatory requirement to run R3E 2) a long known (imho a small) drawback.

And if you go down that route... How much of your purchased expensive content can you play when you free yourself of iRacings lock-in fee? And how good are their races against AI without internet connection... ;)

And yes, I would like to see become the single player part becoming independend of an internet connection. Though I do not mind it that much for myself, but that is because here in the Netherlands we are for the most part blessed with very consistent, stable and fast internet connections. But when you don’t have that luck, modern day gaming in general pretty sucks.

In case of the cars - you just need the car-models on your drive if you want to race against them. Downloading them before a race is not really practicable. In case of the liveries that might be an option - but I don't thingk that those few additional MB bother much.
In case of the Tracks - yeah, normally in case you don't own them you can't use them in Race-Sessions. But, you can Spectate them in MP-Races.

In addition - there are always Competitions available. Most of them don't prequisit any owned content. There you can drive cars and tracks you don't own. For those Competitions the content on your Harddrive is needed.

Last edited:

Andy_J

I hate Race cheats ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
And yes, I would like to see become the single player part becoming independend of an internet connection. Though I do not mind it that much for myself, but that is because here in the Netherlands we are for the most part blessed with very consistent, stable and fast internet connections.

Yeah yeah, but you wait until after the nuclear war that's coming soon. Your stable and fast internet connection will be a gone and how are you going to play your always online game then? ;):p:p

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 85 19.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.6%