• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

RaceRoom Racing Experience Free Weekend Begins Today

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Paul Jeffrey, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,325
    RaceRoom Free Weekend 2.jpg
    Sector3 Studios are running a free weekend with RaceRoom Racing Experience, allowing players to access the BMW Z4 and Spa Francorchamps at no cost all weekend.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is a free to play racing simulation for Windows PC that utilises a pay model where players can purchase individual cars or tracks for an additional cost. The initial game download comes with some access to a small number of cars and tracks for free, however such content as the various DTM, WTCC, GT and ADAC machines plus tracks such as the recently released Karlskoga, Silverstone and Spa Francorchamps have to be purchased in game for an additional charge.

Although all cars within the game can be sampled in a test environment at the fantasy RaceRoom Raceway circuit, Sector3 have made the move to allow all gamers access to the hugely successful BMW Z4 and the beautiful Spa circuit for free throughout the coming weekend. The car and track combination can be sampled without limitations on both single player and online multiplayer for the duration of Saturday and Sunday (11th - 12th March).

To help get you in the mood for what is on offer, check out this little video from the cockpit of the Z4 during an offline GT3 event:

RaceRoom content can be purchased from the RaceRoom Store and is priced individually.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available via the Steam Network

RaceRoom Free Weekend 3.jpg RaceRoom Free Weekend.jpg RaceRoom Free Weekend 4.jpg

Check out the RaceRoom Racing Experience sub forum here at RaceDepartment. We have some of the best conversation, all the latest news and of course our epic Racing Club, where you can take the sim out on track against your fellow R3E players.

Will you be taking advantage of the RaceRoom BMW Z4 / Spa free weekend? What do you think of the combination? Let us know in the comments section below!

• Like Like x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  2. chargingcar

chargingcar
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,147
    Sign me up :D For a job that is ...

• Like Like x 1
  3. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +501
    free content rotation is a rly good decision :ninja:

4. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    "Ye Old Convict" Premium

Ratings:
    +655
    Bah! not impressed Raceroom :rolleyes:

Normally when Devs from other Genre's offer free weekends on Steam, they open the entire game to the public, this strikes me as a good marketing strategy, giving prospective buyers all weekend to decide whether to purchase by sampling the entire game free :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The above offer, while positive, is actually quite stingy in my opinion, why not offer access to the entire game or even 50%, not just one car & track. Especially when you take into consideration the plethora of content that is available as pay to play. It's like going to buy a new house but only viewing the master bedroom. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  5. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +501
    think of it as a series of events/trials instead of one massive sale, one week this, another that, next and next. Atleast ill hope they will keep it up

6. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +351
    No further comment on this matter (as long time early acces member who already bought the content):cautious:

7. Drecho 65

Drecho 65

Ratings:
    +7

8. Drecho 65

Drecho 65

Ratings:
    +7
    This is awesome!!! Thanks

9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports Premium

Ratings:
    +1,278
    If the base game is free and you can test any content before you buy, while being given a chance to try a combo you dont own online with others for a weekend.....i am failing to understand your comparison to buying a house while only viewing the master bedroom?
    You get a much better idea of what the content is than most titles offering paid content.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 16
  10. sjb266

sjb266
    Premium

Ratings:
    +155
    Anyone that doesn't splash out the $$$$ on this game is crazy... it's a great bit of software and an asset to the community..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  11. Alex72

Alex72

Ratings:
    +268
    Im sure there are cars/tracks that arent in the free content and that isnt GT3 that potential customers could sample and fall in love with. Look at it this way: what would they loose from letting people try all the combos? I cant see any negatives - only benefits. Dont get me wrong its cool they let people try the GT3/Spa, and the base game is free. Just that i cant see any negatives by letting people try their fav combos, get a great experience and be pumped to buy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. natedogg1867

natedogg1867

Ratings:
    +276
    They have already done a Steam Free Weekend before, where you could play everything in the game for free.

Only 1 game on Steam has a free weekend each week, and with ~10,000+ games on Steam, getting a 2nd free weekend is unlikely.

So you want them to give you the entire game for free? It's already F2P, and if they did this every weekend, no one would buy anything and they would be out of business instantly.

This reeks of, "Im entitled and want more than Im being offered." What's wrong with a free weekend to sample some of the content? Would you rather they go back to having no free weekends? Because that is the other option...

Aside from that... this focuses attention on specific content, giving someone an extended look at this specific content. If everything was available, chances are very high that not all of the content would be used, and people would only gravitate to a small portion of the content.

Varying the content each weekend (if this continues) gives you 3 days to try a specific track, and specific car from a different class. That is quite cool in my opinion, and it would have been nice to see this long ago.

Still, they have weekly sales on certain content, and bigger sales every few months. If you really want to splash the cash on a lot of content, buy a big pack of vRP at a discount and then get the premium pack. :)

This doesnt seem to be a 1 time thing. If they gave you everything for free in the game every weekend, where would they make their money?

That is not a profitable business venture, especially for a game that doesnt cost anything to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. TzZyO

TzZyO

Ratings:
    +68
    I have the majority of their cars and tracks. How am I supposed to test a particular car/track combo that I don't own? The chances are beyond slim. If you call this a "free weekend", make it one.

As for "where would they make their money?", no need to be ridiculous. Offering all the content for free once in a long while for a short period of time is not exactly the same as giving it away for free. If anything, it'd be more beneficial for them.

14. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    R3E & AMS Club Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,555
    I really fail to see what people are whining about.

The base game is *free*, and includes a number of *free* cars and tracks. With that *free* version, you can also test every other paid car the sim has to offer for *free*, as many times as you want. And now they're giving full access to a popular car and one of the most popular tracks all weekend, again for *free*. Most other sims don't even have a free demo version, yet R3E is being criticised because it's free full version isn't "good enough"?

Just goes to show that no matter what you do, there will always be ungrateful people to whinge and whine about it. :thumbsdown::poop:

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Love Love x 3
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +299
    A sim worthy of trying if you don't have it, certainly one that deserves a place in your Steam Collection.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Love Love x 1
  16. natedogg1867

natedogg1867

Ratings:
    +276
    They already did exactly this... so why the criticism when they already gave you exactly what you wanted?

The devs seem to want to do free weekends of select content more often, and it is a nice way to get people to try new things, or even just populate the MP servers a bit more.

Shocking that people can find something to complain about when it comes to a free weekend. But hey, this is sim-racing after all... :poop:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love Love x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  17. TzZyO

TzZyO

Ratings:
    +68
    What do I need that Z4 and Spa for if I already have the majority of content including these pieces?

If you only open access to particular pieces for a weekend, just call it that way. Calling it a "Free weekend" is a misleading marketing trick, since the name implies having access to the whole product for the period of time indicated. That's what I don't like about it.

• Sad Sad x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. TzZyO

TzZyO

Ratings:
    +68
    Also, how many simracers are going to benefit from this "offer" anyway? If somebody is more or less serious about R3E and racing, they have both the Z4 and the Spa in their inventory already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MarcG

MarcG
    Premium

Ratings:
    +299
    Also the VR is coming on very strong in this title, not quite up with AC just yet but the performance is very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Peter Stokman

Peter Stokman
    Premium

Ratings:
    +430
    I am very curious what melaneuk has to say about this

• Wow Wow x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1