RaceRoom Racing Experience: FR3 Announced

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3.jpg

Sector3 Studios have today announced the new Formula RaceRoom 3 series will be coming to the simulation shortly, adding a Formula Three style single seat racing car to the simulation as the studio look to expand their junior single seater career ladder in RaceRoom.

The Formula RaceRoom 3, or FR3 for short, is a low power high downforce racing vehicle designed to sit somewhere in the middle of the Formula RaceRoom career ladder, just above the Tatuus F4 released a few weeks ago.

R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3 - 3.jpg

Car Data:

• 2 liter inline 4, naturally aspirated
  • 240hp @ 6300 rpm
  • 300Nm @ 5000 rpm
  • Redline at 7300 rpm
  • 6 speed paddle shift
  • 565 kg including driver
  • Maximum theoretical downforce is 780 kg @ 250 km/h
R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3 - 2.jpg

The announcement from Sector3 doesn't give any indication of price, number of liveries included or when players might expect to see the car in the in game store, however judging by the provided screenshots a release for this machine cannot be far away and may possibly see release following the proposed December update to the game.

RaceRoom Racing Experience is available for PC via the Steam Network. You can download the game with limited content for free - additional car and track packs can be purchased in the game store.

Take a look at the RaceDepartment RaceRoom Racing Experience forum for news, discussions, setups and of course our superb Racing Club events! If you want to prove you are one of the best sim racing drivers here at RaceDepartment

R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3 - 4.jpg
R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3 - 6.jpg
R3E - Formula RaceRoom 3 - 5.jpg

Do you like the sound of the Formula RaceRoom 3 car? Are you happy with the recent shift of focus by Sector3 to open wheel machines? How does the game feel to you following recent patches? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
That would be amazing. It would be nice to see another British track or two in R3E as we have some fantastic, historic circuits in this country. Not sure it will ever happen sadly.
It would be great I agree, I suppose it is a licensing issue coupled with the series they run and the time it takes to make a track. Fortunately we do have some very good tracks in the game to enjoy.

R3E is great, indeed, but the ongoing AI problems are dragging it down. After several updates, since June (?), the AI still can't be raced without regular restarts. Even though, if you try to race them carefully and you handle them as real people, they still destroy your race regularly. Shame, it was quite good once.

Also new features progress is not as good as it could be (more car setup options generally). And I really miss those nice-to-have features like better timing overlays (splits, deltas, optimal times, etc.) and movable overlays (I can't see current overlays positioned at the bottom of the screen on my setup).

Huh, didn't realize until now how many things I'm missing to be happy. But I probably never will be, anyway. :)

Loaded my VRP wallet, waiting for my T300, life is great!!!! :D

Merry Christmas fellow racers!!!!! :D:roflmao::laugh:

@Ryann My friend if you have not tried the club races, you will miss a lot all the time :D For a very small fee you can become premium member and be part of the greater racing club!!!!
I don't want to force you to do anything i just give my opinion Happy Holidays ;)
Edit: we 've enter Racedepartment with one day difference... :cool: you are one day older member than me ;)

Last edited:
It's getting to be a really damn close call for me.

In favor of AMS:
- I still feel AMS physics are a notch better than R3E...not by a wide margin, but I do think they are a bit better nonetheless.
- You can see tire pressures/temps in AMS, which we still don't have in R3E (and I have a suspicion we never will).
- Full flag rules in AMS.
- Ability to do multi-class offline racing in AMS.

Pretty much everything else falls in favor of R3E in my book - ai, graphics, sounds, content.

I love both sims and feel each will have a home on my HDD for a long time to come, but it wasn't that long ago I felt AMS had the clear edge...not so much anymore!

I was thinking the exact same. Previously it was SCE/AMS for me by a long way. It gave me my offline racing and my open wheel fix (AC was and still is my hot lapping game of choice). I used R3e solely for RD club racing in the WTCC. It served a narrow purpose but it did so excellently. Now though I find myself going there more and more for some hotlapping round the Nordshleife, some offline open wheel racing. DTM, LMP1, GT3, Open Wheel, let alone the amazing WTCC, this sim has got it all. It's come a real long way this past year

I got it and test it for a while, mixed feelings.... When you find the best wheel range and steering lock, its a nice car to drive.
Sound....hmmm propably the worst sound in Raceroom at least for my taste. :thumbsdown:
Anyway i hope it will be a good addition.
No Silverstone and no FormulaUS.
Something is better than nothing. :thumbsup:

Edit: And the problems are coming... Dedicated Servers don't work :D
Edit2: Fixed

Last edited:
Wow so uh... Yeah I'm not liking this thing at all. Like Vangelis said above the sound is just not very good, and granted I've only driven it in the test drive setting but there's no joy in this ride compared to the F3's in AMS or the baby brother USF2000 in rFactor 2. Wonder what's wrong, this is not at all the fun to drive, acoustically awesome R3E I'm used to.

I was a bit annoyed at the whole no pack thing but this I might just give a miss anyway. Will have to give it a more proper go but so far, not impressed. Bad timing for a mediocre release just a few hours before the competition drops free MP and Porsche galore.

Rodent and vangelis i agree.

Agree with you both , car just feels a little lacking , no sence of speed, it feels flat! no real joy to drive sorry but that's my view, to me raceroom has done really well when it comes to dtm, wtcc and gt , but single seaters isnt as good, rf2 , Atomoblilister have the single seater well covered and at present lead the way with those classes. ai update and other things mentioned look good though, this game is getting even better, and with rf2 getting a big update i might ditch the demo now and buy the game!

Last edited:
I got it and test it for a while, mixed feelings.... When you find the best wheel range and steering lock, its a nice car to drive.
Sound....hmmm propably the worst sound in Raceroom at least for my taste. :thumbsdown:
Anyway i hope it will be a good addition.
No Silverstone and no FormulaUS.
Something is better than nothing. :thumbsup:

Edit: And the problems are coming... Dedicated Servers don't work :D
Edit2: Fixed

From what i read in a thread is that the sound will be updated they apparently didnt have live sound recordings ready for release.

Edit: ninjad i should have read. A little farther lol

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 378 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 257 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years