Raceroom possibly the most best/intense racing offline!!

Msportdan

@Simberia
Wow just wow

Havent played Raceroom for ages but came back and bought all the content (bar 3 new cars) and with new update ive had some amazing races against the AI..Literally gone 10 minutes fighting the same 2-3 cars. This isn't about starting at the back and being able to get to the front in 4 laps.. no way!!! (cough pc2 cough)

This is Ai at its best in sim racing atm, even giving the great rf2 a run for its money.!!! This Ai will not give up the place, and now there quite clean in the process. You can almost think your facing a good grid of humans!

I'm not on the official forums just want to say thanks to S3 making this great fun and challenging against AI, for those who don't want to get smashed online every other lap!

Not to mention the physics and ffb is pretty dam good as well.. no more bloody tinkering!! thank you!

Just did a race around Suzuka in the BMW M3 GTR2 with the adaptive AI. The AI's "driving errors" were very immersive. A saved fish-tail in the Suzuka curves made for exciting viewing through my windscreen.

Particularly impressive was a small mistake into the hairpin, giving me the chance to try slipping up the inside. The hairpin's braking zone is tricky because of the fast right-hand kink just before it. The Ruf in front of me wasn't stopping in a straight line, so its back stepped out to the left ever-so-slightly, and the recovery took a wider line around the hairpin. It looked as though the RUF's rear-engine layout was the culprit. :D

Last edited:
Absolutely! I came back after the update and have been hooked again. I've been running DTM 2016 races on various tracks, with adaptive AI. Once the AI was tuned, the racing is just amazing. I've had to claw my way into podium position, and then fight my way back after getting undercut out of the pits. I've also ended a few races just out of reach, because the AI ahead was doing a damn good job of making his car wide enough to make me rethink my overtakes. Love this sim!

I couldn't agree more with all that is being said here. I remember trying RRE quite some time ago and was not impressed. I became interested with their huge update and support of triple screen. I have been nothing but thoroughly impressed. I won back to back races at Imola and Monza with the adaptive AI. I then went back to Imola last night and had a 5 lap battle royale with the P1 and 2 cars! It was awesome fun and something I've never experienced, to that degree, racing AI. I am so hooked. I also love the feel the FFB provides and, of course, the sounds this sim is known for... I am a total fanboy!! :geek:

Quick question that popped into my mind just now: to train the adaptative AI, do you have to select that setting? In other words, if I race against the AI at a set percentage, does the AI still train in the background for when I eventually select adaptative AI?
I don't know if I'm being clear, but I don't know how to word it differently :O_o:

I think I saw some mentions that the adaptive AI uses some data created even when racing without it enabled, but maybe not as accurate? At least I think I saw someone mention something like that.

Quick question that popped into my mind just now: to train the adaptative AI, do you have to select that setting? In other words, if I race against the AI at a set percentage, does the AI still train in the background for when I eventually select adaptative AI?
I don't know if I'm being clear, but I don't know how to word it differently :O_o:

I think you've worded it pretty clearly Patrick, I know what you're asking. I'm sure I read the answer to your question right here in another thread that was discussing adaptive AI, but I have no idea where. Perhaps @Lars Hansen could help? :)

I think I saw some mentions that the adaptive AI uses some data created even when racing without it enabled, but maybe not as accurate? At least I think I saw someone mention something like that.

I was told that data is always being stored when you race in SP, even when you're not using the adaptive setting. The data for that car/class/track is then used/referenced for the adaptive setting.

Pretty much was has been said above.
The AAI gathers data from all SP races, fixed or adaptive. Might even gather lap-times from MP races too, it didn't occur to me until now, so I haven't checked.*
But it only does so in race conditions; Practice, Warm-up, qualifying, leaderboards etc. will not generate times for the AAI.
The AAI will then use that data to throw what is hopefully an adequate challenge your way next time you try it.

I think a lot of the confusion stems from one simple misunderstanding:
The Adaptive AI doesn't adapt as such, at least not in the sense that most of us would define it.
All the AAI does is keep track of the lap-times the various AI levels are doing, looks at your average lap-time over the last 10 laps, and then picks an appropriate AI level for you to run against.
But if the AAI picks e.g. level 105, it is no different than had you picked a fixed level 105 instead. It's the exact same thing, the AAI isn't a separate entity.
So why use Adaptive in the first place?
Two major reasons in my case;
a ) it saves me from remembering what AI level to run with different combos. I tend to run a lot of different combos, and my AI level varies depending on what I run, so AAI saves me from having to write everything down.
b ) It makes me faster (well....less slow :D ). I can't do hot-lapping, I get bored after 2 laps. Nor am I particularly good at keeping a good pace when I'm alone on track.
Give me someone to chase however.... :)
Which is what the AAI does. It compares your average laptimes to the grids average laptimes, which (assuming everything works) should place you somewhere mid-pack.
So if you want to advance, you're going to have to do a little bit better than your average thus far. Next time, you'll have to do a little bit better than that, and so on.
The end result is that you always have something that is tantalizingly out of reach, and thus something to chase.

*EDIT: I checked. It doesn't.

Last edited:
Pretty much was has been said above.
The AAI gathers data from all SP races, fixed or adaptive. Might even gather lap-times from MP races too, it didn't occur to me until now, so I haven't checked.*
But it only does so in race conditions; Practice, Warm-up, qualifying, leaderboards etc. will not generate times for the AAI.
The AAI will then use that data to throw what is hopefully an adequate challenge your way next time you try it.

I think a lot of the confusion stems from one simple misunderstanding:
The Adaptive AI doesn't adapt as such, at least not in the sense that most of us would define it.
All the AAI does is keep track of the lap-times the various AI levels are doing, looks at your average lap-time over the last 10 laps, and then picks an appropriate AI level for you to run against.
But if the AAI picks e.g. level 105, it is no different than had you picked a fixed level 105 instead. It's the exact same thing, the AAI isn't a separate entity.
So why use Adaptive in the first place?
Two major reasons in my case;
a ) it saves me from remembering what AI level to run with different combos. I tend to run a lot of different combos, and my AI level varies depending on what I run, so AAI saves me from having to write everything down.
b ) It makes me faster (well....less slow :D ). I can't do hot-lapping, I get bored after 2 laps. Nor am I particularly good at keeping a good pace when I'm alone on track.
Give me someone to chase however.... :)
Which is what the AAI does. It compares your average laptimes to the grids average laptimes, which (assuming everything works) should place you somewhere mid-pack.
So if you want to advance, you're going to have to do a little bit better than your average thus far. Next time, you'll have to do a little bit better than that, and so on.
The end result is that you always have something that is tantalizingly out of reach, and thus something to chase.

*EDIT: I checked. It doesn't.

Each time you are called upon to explain the AAI, you do so in a more succinct and easy to understand way. :D

I agree with you that most people misinterpret what the 'adaptive' part of the adaptive AI means. Some people think it means that the AI will change it's pace midway through a race, which isnt the case.

It does as you say, it uses your past lap times to determine a difficulty %, which is then used in the next session you start. The same as choosing a fixed % would do.

Personally, I just used the fixed % always as it means I dont have to 'train' the AI first if I havent run a particular car & track combo. Many people do love the AAI feature though, and prefer it. So the option of using it is nice for those that enjoy it.

Overall though, the AAI feature is a bit simpler than many people make it out to be :)

Each time you are called upon to explain the AAI, you do so in a more succinct and easy to understand way. :D

So....Only 6,723 explanations more and I'll have it down to one memorable meme. :p

I agree with you that most people misinterpret what the 'adaptive' part of the adaptive AI means. Some people think it means that the AI will change it's pace midway through a race, which isnt the case.

Can't blame them. I thought so too for a very long time.

Personally, I just used the fixed % always as it means I dont have to 'train' the AI first if I havent run a particular car & track combo.

Actually, you don't need to train them at all after a while. Once you have 5-6 tracks down with a car-class, you can pretty much just switch to adaptive with any new track.
Granted, it runs on averages, so it's less precise than doing it 'right', but it's eminently doable.
But if fixed AI works for you....Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)
Doesn't really work for me since I run from 98 to 120, all depending on the combo.

But overall, the AAI is a brill feature. It could be a little more user-friendly, but once you figure it out, it's a fantastic tool.

Couldn't agree more. The Adaptive AI is really good now. Initially, I felt they were a little abusive but its definitely gotten better. The only area I see for improvement is rejoining the track. They don't seem to acknowledge me when I spin out or am trying to rejoin.

To be fair though, it's not their job to make way for someone to rejoin. It's up to the re-joiner to wait for a safe gap which doesn't force other drivers to deviate from their course. ;)

Agreed, but in AMS if i'm working my way back into the track on the main straights they AI move a bit over and provide some room. In R3E they'll ram me in the back and end the day. Otherwise though, they are good.

I find that, in general, R3E's AI is pretty willing to ram you in the back. It's my only complaint about the AI. I still love the R3E offline racing the best but it can be a bit maddening at times.

Still a fanboy! :cool:

Agree. I thought it was gone with the latest updates but with the very last update I think it got a bit worse again when it comes to ramming you from behind. I made a post about this in the official forum and hope they will look into this.

Apart from this and a tendency to brake a bit early on long straights (e.g. Sepang and Hockenheim) the ai is great to race against.

Wow just wow

Havent played Raceroom for ages but came back and bought all the content (bar 3 new cars) and with new update ive had some amazing races against the AI..Literally gone 10 minutes fighting the same 2-3 cars. This isn't about starting at the back and being able to get to the front in 4 laps.. no way!!! (cough pc2 cough)

This is Ai at its best in sim racing atm, even giving the great rf2 a run for its money.!!! This Ai will not give up the place, and now there quite clean in the process. You can almost think your facing a good grid of humans!

I'm not on the official forums just want to say thanks to S3 making this great fun and challenging against AI, for those who don't want to get smashed online every other lap!

Not to mention the physics and ffb is pretty dam good as well.. no more bloody tinkering!! thank you!
Get yourself on that official forum asap, friendliest forum in the known universe (can't make a comment on RD as I only frequent certain sections, so won't generalise) and best place to find many clubs to join for some online magic, would recommend starting with the Tue/Thur fun races, right here on RD, great company, great racing and a great mix of abilities, leading to battles throughout the field. Still amazes me how, race one you're in a battle for a podium the next you can't pass 26th as he's to fast, It's like something out of the 'Twiglet Zone', a more gentlemanly environment would be hard to find, throw in setup advice, FFB tips etc. you just have a great way to break into online racing, which in my honest opinion, is the place to be! ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back