RaceRoom - 2017 still connection issues ?

Dirk Steffen

Porsche Factory Jackass™
Premium
I was a big supporter of RaceRoom since day one, have bought almost all content up to about shortly after the release of the wonderful Group 5 pack.

… but then I simply ran out of patience with the endless issues I had with RaceRoom and its terrible always online menu system.
I live in a place where using a VPN is mandatory to get any internet connection.
I am far away from the European servers RaceRoom needs to connect to in order to even use offline content.
Internet connection is also spotty in times with massive issues just to connect to certain websites.

RaceRoom always posed issues with connecting to their menu system.

Has anything changed?
Are connections still as troublesome as they were a year ago?
Has the login through Steam improved connecting upon startup?
Are support forums still filled with users having connection issues of various degrees?

What is the status quo of the RaceRoom experience in 2017 - has RaceRoom matured into a trouble free experience or is troubleshooting still part of running this simulator?

I am asking these questions as first I truly miss the excellent racing and content RaceRoom always has provided (I had some of the greatest racing with the modern and 1990's DTM packs).
Also since I uninstalled RaceRoom from my computer about a year ago just shortly I purchased the Macao track (I really miss that track), a lot of nice content has been added and RaceRoom gained apparently more traction in the SimRacing world (I always considered RaceRoom on my personal favorite 2nd place, right after Assetto Corsa, but it always was a very, very close 2nd).

I really would love to run RaceRoom again but have absolutely no time and energy to go back to trouble shooting every other occasion I want a quick race.
Also I would love to try out the RaceRoom club races with the good folks around RD as I had some truly good fun with you lot on the Assetto Corsa servers.

How are things?

As anecdotal as that is - I've been playing Raceroom pretty much daily for the past two months or so quite extensively (often in several hour long sessions), participating in tons of races both on public servers and here or RD. I think I could count the connection issues I had on the fingers of one hand.

Thanks Martin - good to know.
What kind of connection you are on?
Are you in Europe?

I have a 100Mbit fibre connection (more like a ~50Mbit in reality and down to a ~5-10Mbit connection with a commercial VPN) but dial out of China.
The issues mainly are connection drops (due to the VPN) and very slow ping times when dialing to Europe (in the 250 - 400 range).

Yes Kenny, the RD US servers are great (having attended the Assetto Corsa Club Races there for a little while now).

My issue in the past had always to do with the RaceRoom server to start the application and use the menu.

I have reinstalled RaceRoom now but could not get it running thus far (very bad flickering, unusable menu).

I will look into troubleshooting this once I have time ... here we go again :-(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back